• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 228 59.7%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.3%

• Total voters

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was easy to love our players in our promotion year and beyond, mainly because they won matches on a regular basis, seldom by much but they did gain that winning habit and sent us home happy.
But teams containing players like Nombe, Brown, Collins, Key, Dawson come along about every ten years and develop over time. There are no certainties and even expensive changes in personel don't guarantee success.
Those players (inc Stanno) have gone, never to return, but as Stephen Stills once sang, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".
Those really special teams, for sure.

Bit we’ve had some decent squads in between with good characters and fan favourites… you’d struggle to pick one arm. Possibly Sinisalo but it feels a bit forced.

I think fairly blame, technically gifted youngsters is something GC specifically targeted - we are really missing leaders as a result.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, really surprised by this. Each to their own but this is the most disconnected I've felt from the team and staff for as long as I can remember.
Can’t agree with the first part. We have our scapegoats, like any club, but I think the support has firmly been with the players. The disconnect is with management of the club.

JGrecian23

Just to clarify, as others have pointed out to you, I now live in NI but have been a regular at SJP for over 70 years, since my first match in 1948 with more downs than ups. I may not "suffer it every week" live but can assure you that I watch the full match on iFollow every Sunday morning. I just do not allow football to affect me to the extent that I suffer as I have far more important things to suffer, including recent major surgery.
All the best in your recovery and I definitely do not recommend watching City as part of that!

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the general consensus is we are s4it, have a crap style of play with players who simply aren't good enough compared to last season's side that had 3 players who have/will (still waiting on Key) to earn us the thick end of a million quid each. It's a bit like comparing chalk and cheese. Or are we shifting the goalposts again to suit the argument???🤔
I think I remember saying back at the end of the window that individually I liked each signing but felt the overall transfer strategy wasn't great as not a lot of experience was bought in and also felt that we lacked two strikers. We must address those structural issues in January and pray GC Can show a heck of a lot more to his talents and abilities along with the player already here. If we go down from this point the boards will only have themselves to blame without taking the right and correct actions at the right time. At the moment we are praying a manager with a very poor track record (Bar one season at Wigan) to turn this around and there is little evidence currently he can turn this around, but he is here to stay so will support the club and players in hoping we go in the right direction following boxing day, but if we do go down, we cannot say no one predicted or felt this can we.

Also the other part is that a huge amount of damage has been caused by the 100 Day between wins and GC has a huge amount to turn the fanbase overall around. If we lose heavily tomorrow night I Expect the Caldwell out's to start again. At the very least tomorrow we need to show the performance levels to match Portsmouth even if we do come out with a defeat. Anything less than wins against Reading and Carlisle will certainly not inspire the fanbase.

Langer

Unbelievable team spirit considering the poor run one things for sure it doesn’t appear he’s lost the dressing room.

DB9

On the BBC Football Website, As of today, 46 clubs have changed their managers in 2023.

Colesman Ballz

On the BBC Football Website, As of today, 46 clubs have changed their managers in 2023.
That's just EFL clubs !

DB9

That's just EFL clubs !
A very high % indeed.

Radio Free Skaro

The crowd have been exceptionally patient during the games and continue to be.

Chatting/critiquing on socials and here is absolutely fine - positive/negative/neutral - without it there is no discussion.

I would say the fans will keep going as they have been - far more supportive than most clubs in the land despite being run by a board that seems unwilling to listen/buckle to pressure depending on viewpoint.

It really is the court of the manager and players now, they have to play well to earn the respect and noisy support back. The predicament we find ourselves in rests on their shoulders, not the paying fanbase.
I agree up to a point, suffice to say the players and management team do not exist in a vacuum. They are playing/operating in an atmosphere that us as fans are responsible for creating and the 2 dynamics feed off each other.
Football is about fine margins and if we can create a 'fortess SJP' that could make the difference !!

Grecianpasty

Can’t agree with the first part. We have our scapegoats, like any club, but I think the support has firmly been with the players. The disconnect is with management of the club.
I second then. You can see the quality that our team has. It's no coincidence that when players are played out of position you don't get the best out of them.