• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
That doesnt change the fact we shouldn't accept losing heavily to anyone in this league. Especially when you consider that Portsmouth lost 4-0 only a month ago. The standard of league one has dropped drastically since last year. Let's set our standards higher than accepting defeat to anyone at home.
What are we actually meaning by "accept", I don't get it. You have good and bad results. You have to accept the bad ones. What does it mean to not accept it? Sack the manager? If we're doing well and lose 4-0 to a good side, no, I wouldn't want to sack the manager. Genuinely don't know what people are on about when they talk of accepting stuff.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
You're right, our team doesn't compare to last year's. That doesnt change the fact we shouldn't accept losing heavily to anyone in this league. Especially when you consider that Portsmouth lost 4-0 only a month ago. The standard of league one has dropped drastically since last year. Let's set our standards higher than accepting defeat to anyone at home.
Who said it was acceptable? All I said was it wasn't beyond the bounds of possibility given that they're riding high and a lot of you you think we are s4it to the point where some even think we will be in The Conference the season after next. You read far too much into what is being said and extract words and phrases that aren't even there.
For me, I'd like to think we can build on the Boxing Day bounce.

Memphis09

Second half was very decent and much better than the Stevenage second half.

Attacked with purpose and more importantly, variety. Not the same old holding patterns on the channels that either end in the ball off the pitch or going back to Sweeney/Hartridge to then whack off the pitch again.

Now whether it was by design or necessity I’m not sure but moving the ball quicker and being positive with the ball inside the box is what we all want to see as it tends to end up with excitement and goals.

I understand GC has had difficulties working with a team completely devoid of forwards but… we’ve had 100 days to resolve this and only just do something different against an extremely poor side 3 months on. And this is where the frustration lies.

Individually I don’t think these players are bad ones so we have a chance if they are allowed to play football and not micro managed.

Credit where credit is due but if that’s the case then they also deserve the criticism across the board. Needs a lot more to pull me and others back onside, but I’ll always support City regardless of circumstance. I was one of those standing in the Stanno and stayed until the end to clap them off as they worked their arses off for what could be a vital point.
Good to hear
We stand together
UTC

Grecian Max

What are we actually meaning by "accept", I don't get it. You have good and bad results. You have to accept the bad ones. What does it mean to not accept it? Sack the manager? If we're doing well and lose 4-0 to a good side, no, I wouldn't want to sack the manager. Genuinely don't know what people are on about when they talk of accepting stuff.
I think he means that the standards by which the club should set itself against should be to be as competitive as possible in each game and not easily succumb to sides in the manner of Bolton through poor planning, poor tactics and poor football.

You can be certain that if we lose 0-7 to Pompey there will be people saying it's not an issue because they are top. Probably some of those thinking that are on the board. Acceptance of consistently bad results, sometimes horrific... is an issue.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think he means that the standards by which the club should set itself against should be to be as competitive as possible in each game and not easily succumb to sides in the manner of Bolton through poor planning, poor tactics and poor football.

You can be certain that if we lose 0-7 to Pompey there will be people saying it's not an issue because they are top. Probably some of those thinking that are on the board. Acceptance of consistently bad results, sometimes horrific... is an issue.
I can "accept" a 7 nil drubbing as part of an overall decent season, with a flirt with the play offs, for example. Currently, I'm less bothered about the Bolton result as I am about months of not being about to muster an attack. I don't accept that. And my non-acceptance means that if I had any power over it, the manager would be gone. If we, say, get beat 5 nil on NYD, my anger will be more about the months than the 90 minutes.

Memphis09

Based on the Stanno stand clapping him with glee after an ugly 1-0 win between 2 sides that couldn’t string 2 passes together between them I’d say people will forgive and forget pretty quickly.

Our fanbase is embarrassingly fickle. Clap the players but if you wanted the manager gone prior to kick off that doesn’t change after that result. You’re just making the boards justification of their decision making easier.
Why should you not clap the players
That’s what we go for a win especially after that stupid penalty

Memphis09

Wow, really surprised by this. Each to their own but this is the most disconnected I've felt from the team and staff for as long as I can remember.
You can’t remember Tisdale days then

Grecian Max

I can "accept" a 7 nil drubbing as part of an overall decent season, with a flirt with the play offs, for example. Currently, I'm less bothered about the Bolton result as I am about months of not being about to muster an attack. I don't accept that. And my non-acceptance means that if I had any power over it, the manager would be gone. If we, say, get beat 5 nil on NYD, my anger will be more about the months than the 90 minutes.
I can see what you mean, that Chesterfield result in 08/09 was just one of those things. For me the Bolton result was part of a wider story, our issues that have existed across the whole season brutally on show that day - we'd played just as badly against very poor sides and come away losing by the odd goal. I was convinced if we came up against anyone decent we'd be smashed and it happened.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can’t remember Tisdale days then
I can, like I said it's just personal feeling. I'm struggling to connect with this current side, hopefully that'll improve alongside results!

STURTZ

It was easy to love our players in our promotion year and beyond, mainly because they won matches on a regular basis, seldom by much but they did gain that winning habit and sent us home happy.
But teams containing players like Nombe, Brown, Collins, Key, Dawson come along about every ten years and develop over time. There are no certainties and even expensive changes in personel don't guarantee success.
Those players (inc Stanno) have gone, never to return, but as Stephen Stills once sang, "If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with".