• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Salford were renowned for being a moneybags club, so no surprise the bloke is sacked when they are 21st.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Presumably you’re excluding the season he managed Wigan to the League One title?
Ask Wigan fans what they think of his time as manager

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Please elaborate
You said "So the issue that most Caldwell Outs have is with the tactics and style of play.. My genuine question is this. If we'd appointed a new manager on December 1st what would he have done differently?" My response was a new manager would have changed the tactics and style of play :) Bit like when Cheltenham dispensed with their manager and brought in Darell Clarke and he changed the tactics and style of play despite having the same squad of players - they went from a team who hadn't scored in nine games to a team that began to score goals and hey presto pick up results

Grecian Max

Say for a moment that Caldwell does repay the faith in him and keep us up (well)

At what point does the trust return in him from the fanbase?

I think there's been a lot of damage on that front that will take a lot of time to repair, probably longer than the one 1-0 win that appears to be a stick to bash fans who want better with today.

Personally I wouldn't be back on board until I see real evidence that GC's approach play works consistently - and once the new no.9 etc arrives I want to hear no more excuses on that front. If we improve over the next few months and stay up then I won't be totally against him staying. Getting relegated he should absolutely not stay.

We have to be a lot better in the second half of the season otherwise we will go down. Cheltenham have a more shrewd operator than ours; Reading are in a false position and will save themselves; Carlisle are now monied and ready to spend (already signed one of our old targets) - there is a dross in this league, but we most certainly are part of that.

It would be very helpful to avoid defeat in our next two to inspire a bit of confidence for the New Year.

Radio Free Skaro

Here's me take on things, controversial as it may be, I really like the group of players and the manager.

Gary's not going anywhere so as another poster said today we are only 11 or 12 or so places away from the highest ever finish in our history , so let's make the most of out of our situation .

From what I can so we have a team and manager that are desperate to win. So how we as Exeter City fans react now could be critical to how things pan out the rest of the reason.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Say for a moment that Caldwell does repay the faith in him and keep us up (well)

I think there's been a lot of damage on that front that will take a lot of time to repair, probably longer than the one 1-0 win that appears to be a stick to bash fans who want better with today.

Personally I wouldn't be back on board until I see real evidence that GC's approach play works consistently - and once the new no.9 etc arrives I want to hear no more excuses on that front. If we improve over the next few months and stay up then I won't be totally against him staying. Getting relegated he should absolutely not stay.

We have to be a lot better in the second half of the season otherwise we will go down. Cheltenham have a more shrewd operator than ours; Reading are in a false position and will save themselves; Carlisle are now monied and ready to spend (already signed one of our old targets) - there is a dross in this league, but we most certainly are part of that.

It would be very helpful to avoid defeat in our next two to inspire a bit of confidence for the New Year.
I really hope we have 2 No 9s in view - if we only get one then when our injury jinx strikes we will practically be back to where we are

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'm broadly where you are with GC in that if he pulls the proverbial rabitts out of the hat then I'm back on board. However, like Scotty there are many who even if GC and Scott start performing far from what they expect will continue to berate them both regardless

Grecian Max

Here's me take on things, controversial as it may be, I really like the group of players and the manager.

Gary's not going anywhere so as another poster said today we are only 11 or 12 or so places away from the highest ever finish in our history , so let's make the most of out of our situation .

From what I can so we have a team and manager that are desperate to win. So how we as Exeter City fans react now could be critical to how things pan out the rest of the reason.
The crowd have been exceptionally patient during the games and continue to be.

Chatting/critiquing on socials and here is absolutely fine - positive/negative/neutral - without it there is no discussion.

I would say the fans will keep going as they have been - far more supportive than most clubs in the land despite being run by a board that seems unwilling to listen/buckle to pressure depending on viewpoint.

It really is the court of the manager and players now, they have to play well to earn the respect and noisy support back. The predicament we find ourselves in rests on their shoulders, not the paying fanbase.

yticretexe

Based on the Stanno stand clapping him with glee after an ugly 1-0 win between 2 sides that couldn’t string 2 passes together between them I’d say people will forgive and forget pretty quickly.

Our fanbase is embarrassingly fickle. Clap the players but if you wanted the manager gone prior to kick off that doesn’t change after that result. You’re just making the boards justification of their decision making easier.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Based on the Stanno stand clapping him with glee after an ugly 1-0 win between 2 sides that couldn’t string 2 passes together between them I’d say people will forgive and forget pretty quickly.

Our fanbase is embarrassingly fickle. Clap the players but if you wanted the manager gone prior to kick off that doesn’t change after that result. You’re just making the boards justification of their decision making easier.
I think it's just that we tend towards positivity when we're in league one. Weve not spent a big % of our time up here in the past few decades. This is only the fifth season I've seen us at this level. On a longer arc, things are going well at the football club.

My general experience of watching Exeter is actually more that were quite a moany bunch, but i grew up during the Fox/ Blake/ Cornforth/ McNabb eras.

I think it's right that we're happy about life when we're up here. It's not moral weakness to enjoy a bit of success. Not sure what club you've been watching, but being in league one is success for this one.

That said, there's a limit to just how poorly we can play and for how long before people are going to get a bit fed up. Doesn't take much to get the fans positive again while we're here. That's not going to be the case if we're scrabbling round the bottom of league 2 this time next year.