• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ryan Brunt

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
His brother Peter played for us. Just the once, in a 6-1 defeat away to York in November 1960.
So he did! I dont remember him, or the fact that Johnny Williams was his brother. I wonder why just the one game, and then gone?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
So he did! I dont remember him, or the fact that Johnny Williams was his brother. I wonder why just the one game, and then gone?
Pete, there were four Williams brothers and all good footballers. Barry was killed in a car crash at a young age (in a car I believe a car driven by brother Dave). There is a cup competition in Plymouth named after him called the Barry Williams Memorial Trophy. Dave actually lived in a house directly opposite me in Plympton in the early 1970s. Dave played centre half for Devon. Johnny owned the garage business/ petrol station opposite Home Park after his retirement. Peter is the only one still alive at 85 - always drove a yellow V12 E Type Jag.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Remember Dazzas first season, seem to remember he was being played out wide, every time he came in front of the shed he was booed. Next season he was a footballing god.
I dont think the level of hatred (or whatever you want to call it) was quite so intense back in Dazzas time. He played not long after the decision was made to designate the St James Road end as visitors only, and totally buggered up my regular half time mission of walking behind the Cowshed to stand behind the goal that City were attacking. Its a pity that the younger element have grown up thinking this dislike thing has always been the case. I well remember the days when City and Argyle fans stood shoulder to shoulder, and it wasnt as long ago as some might think.

PeteUSA

Pete, there were four Williams brothers and all good footballers. Barry was killed in a car crash at a young age (in a car I believe a car driven by brother Dave). There is a cup competition in Plymouth named after him called the Barry Williams Memorial Trophy. Dave actually lived in a house directly opposite me in Plympton in the early 1970s. Dave played centre half for Devon. Johnny owned the garage business/ petrol station opposite Home Park after his retirement. Peter is the only one still alive at 85 - always drove a yellow V12 E Type Jag.
I thought you might know a bit more about it Ade; A good overview of the brothers. I wonder why Peter only played just once? A bit like George Northcott when we got him perhaps; just too old.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought you might know a bit more about it Ade; A good overview of the brothers. I wonder why Peter only played just once?
I can't remember why he only played the once. Perhaps he wasn't quite good enough- he was always in Johnny's shadow at Argyle. He might have given up football at an early age to concentrate on his hairdressing business.

ECFC Music

I dont think the level of hatred (or whatever you want to call it) was quite so intense back in Dazzas time. He played not long after the decision was made to designate the St James Road end as visitors only, and totally buggered up my regular half time mission of walking behind the Cowshed to stand behind the goal that City were attacking. Its a pity that the younger element have grown up thinking this dislike thing has always been the case. I well remember the days when City and Argyle fans stood shoulder to shoulder, and it wasnt as long ago as some might think.
Pete you are right this stupid hatred that has arisen has got way beyond the banter stage and has led to gratuitous violence and nasty vindictive behaviour. Furthermore it now seems in some people's eyes a necessary mindset to hate your nearest neighbour in order to be regarded as a supporter of a football team. A form of intimidation similar to that exercised by among others the SNP and the extreme political left wing and a very sad reflection of modern society.
Contrary to what Shankley remarked about football and life i just wish the minority punting this hate stuff would just grow up and learn to treat others with some respect.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I disagree. The local media have a lot to answer for in my opinion. I started supporting City when we were quite frankly ****. At the same time the Slime weren't great - we were in the same leagues for some of this time - and yet the media coverage was always skewed towards them.

When we dropped into the Conference there were times that we wouldn't even get a mention on Spotlights Friday / Monday sports round-up (the same has happened to the Turks).

You might say that this is only a reason to hate Spotlight. But we all know they're green.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
You might say that this is only a reason to hate Spotlight. But we all know they're green.
Strange because the Greens think that the Spotlight media crew focus on us!

StroudGrecian

Pete you are right this stupid hatred that has arisen has got way beyond the banter stage and has led to gratuitous violence and nasty vindictive behaviour. Furthermore it now seems in some people's eyes a necessary mindset to hate your nearest neighbour in order to be regarded as a supporter of a football team. A form of intimidation similar to that exercised by among others the SNP and the extreme political left wing and a very sad reflection of modern society.
Contrary to what Shankley remarked about football and life i just wish the minority punting this hate stuff would just grow up and learn to treat others with some respect.
Really? As I remember it the level of violence and vindictiveness (to say nothing of racism) in and around football was way worse in the 1970s and 1980s than it is today, thankfully. And all political parties have their share of nutjobs so I'm not sure why you are singling out the SNP unless you are trying to make a crass political point - think you'll find the EDL and BNP have considerably more than their fair share, both of whom are on the extreme right.

As far as I am concerned, rivalries are what give derby matches their edge and make them so popular - I love to 'hate' Argyle as a concept, though I count some Argyle fans as my friends.

Unfortunately I can't but help thinking that some of the bad feeling between local football clubs has been partially brought about the local television and press.

The BBC local news is so bias towards Cornwall and Plymouth I've stopped watching it, the final straw was brought about by a recent report into Exeter being voted as one of the best places in the country to live, you would have thought that this would have been worthy of a report, no not on Spotlight! It was mentioned on passing in a 5 second slot AFTER to weather forecast and before going off air with a brief "And finally, Exeter has been voted one of the best places to live in the country!, tell us what you think, let the battle commence! Good night" and guess what never mentioned again on Spotlight!

Also if you Google "Plymouth Herald and Hate Exeter" you will see a whole plethora of gutter journalism which is designed to insight hatred!