• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hiram Boateng - Yes or No?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Collins and Taylor are much of a muchness in terms of style with Collins probably slightly better with his ball distribution. I don't know enough about how Kite and Dean play in terms of style but what I do know is that Boateng provides an attacking cutting edge to his play that neither Collins or Taylor are capable of. Personally I think it's time for Taylor to move on anyway as he is getting to the stage where his time with us is turning stale.
The problem was not.his quality : it was how often he could turn it on. He wanted to leave, anyway. A couple of superb goals in a season doesn't really do it, although much appreciated. A goal is a goal - brilliant or off someone's arse. They count the same.

Ash

Collins and Taylor are much of a muchness in terms of style with Collins probably slightly better with his ball distribution. I don't know enough about how Kite and Dean play in terms of style but what I do know is that Boateng provides an attacking cutting edge to his play that neither Collins or Taylor are capable of. Personally I think it's time for Taylor to move on anyway as he is getting to the stage where his time with us is turning stale.
I can barely believe what I'm reading. IMO Jake Taylor is having his best season for us. Turning stale? On what are you basing that?

Ash

Personally think Hiram had injury problems with us, which he seems to have overcome. Always had a quality about him but was hindered by playing a more defensive role whilst his strength was in going forward. I wouldn't say we should bring him back, we've moved on and have our own kids that play attacking mid now but he's league 1 quality and I know Argyle fans that would agree.
League One ability, unquestionably. League One quality, every 10 games maybe.

Rosencrantz

I'm not convinced Kite is mobile enough to carry out the box to box role. He looks more suited to a deeper role ticking things over.

I'd keep Taylor, as long as he is given freedom to go box to box I'm not sure we will get a much better option for the job.
The games I have seen Harry play, he gets through a whole load of hard work that any midfield needs whether it's sitting or box to box. Sitting deeper he can do more so than Jake, I agree.

Where we will obviously disagree is that if Harry does end up sitting, it opens up the chance for Archie to go forward more and be the box to box player that is, I think, more his natural game. Whenever he plays alongside Taylor, he is the one that has to sit. Released into this role we might see Archie getting more goals like his one yesterday by attacking the box and revisiting his early days as a No 10 for the youth team.

As I said before though, the timing for Jake and the club might be right whether it's opening a path up for Harry or getting an up grade in.

grecIAN Harris

I can barely believe what I'm reading. IMO Jake Taylor is having his best season for us. Turning stale? On what are you basing that?
Is he? Or is it just that his form has been that poor for in recent seasons that it looks that good. He's better this season but his performances generally are average. He's not as good now as he was when he came here first.

Injury prone, lazy and not better than Archie or Jake!

IndoMike

We do actually need a creative force in midfield. If our wingers aren't getting any joy we"re a bit snookered.But past evidence
Indicates that Boateng is not the man. I guess we need a Ryan Harley in.his prime.

grecIAN Harris

We do actually need a creative force in midfield. If our wingers aren't getting any joy we"re a bit snookered.But past evidence
Indicates that Boateng is not the man. I guess we need a Ryan Harley in.his prime.
This is more the general point. We do need some kind of creative influence in the middle of the park. The only way we can get it at the moment turns Exeweb into meltdown by playing 3-5-2 (which has helped wrestle control of the game back in our favour in recent games) and Matt Jay at the front of the midfield three. In a 4-4-1-1 system we play now, we have nothing.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is he? Or is it just that his form has been that poor for in recent seasons that it looks that good. He's better this season but his performances generally are average. He's not as good now as he was when he came here first.
You previously said he was going stale, now you are saying his performances this season have been better.

Make your mind up Ian.

IndoMike

Mis-post