• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Hiram Boateng - Yes or No?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
but he's league 1 quality and I know Argyle fans that would agree.
MK Dons don't think so. Their manager doesn't rate him at all.

budegrecian

May be nonsense, the truth is we'll never know. MT wanted to keep him, so he obviously rated him, but his inability to last 90 minutes understandably raised questions.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
In general I am not against going back to players, we've had many greats including your avatar with various spells at the club, I just don't think Hiram fits that category of great myself, and as I say not sure the wages he'll be on will be worth it, with the likes of Kite and Dean on the fringes of a place, and Collins and Taylor first choice.
Collins and Taylor are much of a muchness in terms of style with Collins probably slightly better with his ball distribution. I don't know enough about how Kite and Dean play in terms of style but what I do know is that Boateng provides an attacking cutting edge to his play that neither Collins or Taylor are capable of. Personally I think it's time for Taylor to move on anyway as he is getting to the stage where his time with us is turning stale.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor was MOM yesterday imho, he's been decent this season and he has scored a few important goals.

grecIAN Harris

Taylor was MOM yesterday imho, he's been decent this season and he has scored a few important goals.
Yesterday yes but generally for the last couple of seasons he has been pretty average.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yesterday yes but generally for the last couple of seasons he has been pretty average.
You previously said he was turning stale.

grecIAN Harris

You previously said he was turning stale.
One swallow does not make a summer and he is turning. He needs a new challenge for himself.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
One swallow does not make a summer and he is turning. He needs a new challenge for himself.
He's had a good season. Better than last term.

Rosencrantz

Jake's had a good season and played really well yesterday, as did his midfield partner. Jake has been pretty well bulletproof since he joined us in 2016. He has also been a big part of the club off the pitch. His game is all about energy and box to box effectivity with a few goals thrown in. The way he plays puts miles on the clock and last season he found himself out of the team for a while with Archie and Nige preferred. This season with its high game turnover has started to show a few chinks in that previous bulletproof engine. A fatigue injury and a spell, with others, where the energy has been low. When the energy is low, Jake isn't a playmaker.

Timing is everything sometimes and you have Kite waiting in the wings with similar attributes, possibly higher potential but obviously less experience. Jake hits 30 in December, his stock is still relatively high and a nice contract and fresh challenge might be right for him and also good timing for the club. It could provide another pathway for a promising youngster or an opportunity to "trade up" to look for that L1 potential.

Jake's been a great servant to the club and it's not that I wouldn't be unhappy for him to stay. But sometimes the timing is right and tough decisions are made.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Timing is everything sometimes and you have Kite waiting in the wings with similar attributes, possibly higher potential but obviously less experience. Jake hits 30 in December, his stock is still relatively high and a nice contract and fresh challenge might be right for him and also good timing for the club. It could provide another pathway for a promising youngster or an opportunity to "trade up" to look for that L1 potential.
I'm not convinced Kite is mobile enough to carry out the box to box role. He looks more suited to a deeper role ticking things over.

I'd keep Taylor, as long as he is given freedom to go box to box I'm not sure we will get a much better option for the job.