• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

Fareham Grecian

For once Geoff I fully agree with you and as a non trust member I would also support those ideas (granted not via voting for them), what you have said above is what I have said to the people I often speak to who speak to when it comes to their gripes with the club or trust. Personally I've had chats and meetings with said reps and find them to be very understanding and open to difficult questions, conversations or the ideas you might have.

In the context of this thread and Matt Taylor employment at the club there would be no point in someone coming on here or social media and shouting from the roof tops that they believe he should be sacked or what ever because ultimately that won't achieve anything.
I am sure you have explained this before, but just to bring this thread up to date: why, if you support Exeter City, would you not be a Trust member to a) show your support and b) have a direct say in the way the club is run? The Trust has enabled the club to survive.

(Unless you genuinely can’t afford £2 a month (which is a real issue for some)).

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Numbers please, or is this just complete and utter guesswork?
I think MT said prior to the season something along the lines of this season is our best ever budget

Reactions: DB9

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Could Covid end up saving Matt Taylor’s job?

Going into a run of games of Port Vale away, Swindon home, FGR away and Sutton away we had lost 3 in a row and had some pretty patchy form before that.

We could easily have lost those 4 games making it 7 defeats on the bounce. Not many managers survive form like that or certainly come under significant pressure.

We’ve lost today but covid can be used as the excuse (and fairly so). We are likely to lose on Tuesday and again covid can be blamed.

Will covid therefore give Matt a reasonable excuse for losing games which we might otherwise have lost and allow him to avoid the scrutiny he would have otherwise faced?
To put things into perspective a very disappointing return although not entirely unexpected as apart from the Colchester result which was particularly disappointing, given the form they were in when we played them, the other games were always going to be difficult.

Tranmere coming back into form and Northampton who to say that they are our bogey Club would be putting it mildly as our one to one record with them must be one of the poorest and most one sided as any other throughout the EFL and truly dire.

Then on Saturday just as in the away cup tie at Cambridge Lady Luck completely turned her back on us.

i8cornwall

I am sure you have explained this before, but just to bring this thread up to date: why, if you support Exeter City, would you not be a Trust member to a) show your support and b) have a direct say in the way the club is run? The Trust has enabled the club to survive.

(Unless you genuinely can’t afford £2 a month (which is a real issue for some)).
I have said this before on here and really don't want to derail this thread so I'll keep it brief but happy to discuss it further if you ever wanted. Perversely I'm a member of Clapton Community FC who are fan owned so it's not fan ownership or fans having a say in the running of there clubs I have an issue with.

In a nutshell I just dont feel the trust represents my ideas or wishes of how I see City nor do I think anyone who shares my wants or ideas would be elected, like Ive seen over the last few years from those who have run or been elected. which isn't meant as a dig at those who have run, been elected or those who voted for them as all of those are well within there right to do so and worked hard.

My interest in City is solely on what happens on the pitch with the first team and that isn't takeing away the efforts of those involved with the U23's/U18's or women's team as I enjoy watching them but it's not the same, if that makes sense. I'll admit rightly or wrong that i feel like this is and people like myself are overlooked or don't actually get listened to or if we are that then is acted on, as we or I don't buy into the ethos of the trust or see thing in a different way.

I've had chats with trustee and those who are involved with the trust and I've a lot of time for them as fans and people so it's nothing personal to them or those who believe in the trust. I just don't share their ideas or views on a vast amount of things with regards to us as a club.

In a nutshell that's it, their are other reasons but again I don't want to derail this thread which I think is posing an interesting question about Matt Taylor and his role as our manager, how ever theoretical the idea or reasons behind it are.

Ian Tarr

I have said this before on here and really don't want to derail this thread so I'll keep it brief but happy to discuss it further if you ever wanted. Perversely I'm a member of Clapton Community FC who are fan owned so it's not fan ownership or fans having a say in the running of there clubs I have an issue with.

In a nutshell I just dont feel the trust represents my ideas or wishes of how I see City nor do I think anyone who shares my wants or ideas would be elected, like Ive seen over the last few years from those who have run or been elected. which isn't meant as a dig at those who have run, been elected or those who voted for them as all of those are well within there right to do so and worked hard.

My interest in City is solely on what happens on the pitch with the first team and that isn't takeing away the efforts of those involved with the U23's/U18's or women's team as I enjoy watching them but it's not the same, if that makes sense. I'll admit rightly or wrong that i feel like this is and people like myself are overlooked or don't actually get listened to or if we are that then is acted on, as we or I don't buy into the ethos of the trust or see thing in a different way.

I've had chats with trustee and those who are involved with the trust and I've a lot of time for them as fans and people so it's nothing personal to them or those who believe in the trust. I just don't share their ideas or views on a vast amount of things with regards to us as a club.

In a nutshell that's it, their are other reasons but again I don't want to derail this thread which I think is posing an interesting question about Matt Taylor and his role as our manager, how ever theoretical the idea or reasons behind it are.
Good job you kept it brief...... ;-)

i8cornwall

Good job you kept it brief...... ;-)
Hahaha I did think that reading it back!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Clapton, blimey you have gone hipster 😉

Fareham Grecian

Thanks i8 for taking my question seriously and taking the time for such a full answer! Without getting into the nitty gritty of areas where you don’t agree with the ethos of the Trust, or the ‘ideas or views’ of the trustees and the ordinary members like me that they represent, it is difficult for me to quite grasp what you are saying, but I of course accept your right not to be part of anything you don’t feel fully aligned with.
It’s just a shame when you sound like you have plenty of ideas and enthusiasm to share.

rick whitemore

as Derek Adams says the club lacks ambition! Taylor got pipe and slippers for Christmas. At least avoiding re-election each year had some excitement :cool:

scottus86

Ridiculous thread. Before December we were doing well. December was always going to be hard with the teams we had to play. Add to that the injuries and Covid, it's unsurprising that we hit a slump.

This year's squad is quality and we'll climb back up the table once we have something resembling our first choice 11 back.