• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

milts

Could Covid end up saving Matt Taylor’s job?

Going into a run of games of Port Vale away, Swindon home, FGR away and Sutton away we had lost 3 in a row and had some pretty patchy form before that.

We could easily have lost those 4 games making it 7 defeats on the bounce. Not many managers survive form like that or certainly come under significant pressure.

We’ve lost today but covid can be used as the excuse (and fairly so). We are likely to lose on Tuesday and again covid can be blamed.

Will covid therefore give Matt a reasonable excuse for losing games which we might otherwise have lost and allow him to avoid the scrutiny he would have otherwise faced?

dontpassback

I don’t think he is under any threat to his job,we are having a frustrating run of form,and whilst a lot of fans won’t be happy,which is understandable,the club won’t be in any rush to change manager.I hope we improve our form,but I don’t think we have enough to even make the playoffs,that might be me being negative,but with injuries and covid disruption I don’t think we will get back on track,so it will probably be another season in league two,I really hope I am wrong and we go up,but I can’t see it happening

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exeter City haven't dismissed a manager since 2003 i.e. almost 19 years now. Even our 2012 relegation was glossed over as an unfortunate thing to happen to a proper chap.

If Taylor fails to get us promoted (I've always been vocal about my doubts) then we will almost certainly revert to the groundhog days of Tisdale's post-relegation League 2 years as the funds from our academy sales diminish, attendances decline and thus our playing budget being cut year-on-year in a downward cycle until he decides he has had enough.. No way will those in charge ever sack him. I just hope Taylor wakes up every morning and thanks his lucky stars that he is a manager at Exeter City and not any one of the other League One and Two clubs. One fortunate chap.

i8cornwall

The club probably won't sack him, and imagine it'll turn into how things were under tisdale towards the end, like I've said before if Taylor is dismissed then those who appointed him also need to exit stage left.

I don't think everything can nor should be blamed at Matt Taylor's door, he doesn't set the budget (hence the people above him should also fall on their swords) nor is he to blame for covid or injuries to the players but sadly that all comes with being a manager.

On a side note personally I don't think we'll ever be prompted and if we are there is an even slimmer chance of us being an established league one side under our current financial restraints that our owner shop model has.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
if Taylor is dismissed then those who appointed him also need to exit stage left.
What a strange suggestion. Why on earth would you suggest that should be the case?

geoffwp

Ridiculous thread.

i8cornwall

What a strange suggestion. Why on earth would you suggest that should be the case?
Why not, make the case why those who appointed him should stay or be trusted to make the right choice next time and then back said person.

I don't actually think Matt will be sacked regardless of what happens this season or probably in future seasons so I'm aware this is all pie in the sky stuff.

Antony Moxey

No, you make the case for getting rid of them. It was your suggestion, you make the case.

arthur

Why not, make the case why those who appointed him should stay or be trusted to make the right choice next time and then back said person.
Let me get this right. If a manager gets off to a reasonably promising start, develops the team and academy well, but falls short of the ultimate goal because it turns out he's not quite good enough, then he should never have been appointed in the first place, and those responsible for appointing him should consider their position?

PeteUSA

No, you make the case for getting rid of them. It was your suggestion, you make the case.
Moxey, why dont you bog off! Stop turning every thread you get involved with into an argument! Upsetting everybody.