• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What date will we be back watching live football at SJP Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Certainly won't be back spectating this season. I don't think schools will go back this school year so spectators in sports grounds is highly unlikely. I just hope we can get ourselves in to a high league position in case of cancellation as per last season. Could happen at any time.

Legohead

Banned
Certainly won't be back spectating this season. I don't think schools will go back this school year so spectators in sports grounds is highly unlikely. I just hope we can get ourselves in to a high league position in case of cancellation as per last season. Could happen at any time.
We did have schools back AND some spectators back, albeit briefly, at the same time before Christmas so i see no reason why both together can't be possible.

wiveygrecian

Do any of you think we will start next season normally in August as usual. I really hope we do . I mean with full crowds on the big bank etc . Could it happen?

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do any of you think we will start next season normally in August as usual. I really hope we do . I mean with full crowds on the big bank etc . Could it happen?
My prediction would be -

Late August start after season extended by 2/3 weeks to make up for postponements
Capped at 2,000 socially distanced until early October where 1,000 more will be allowed in
Back to 2,000 socially distanced for the winter period to deal with any new strains
Round 2 updated vaccinations in Dec-March
March-April possible "normal" but probably still masked up

Grecian Max

I think the way it's gone we won't see a properly normal season until 2022/23

Benguin

Firstly, BJ isn't leading this, SAGE are. They have been the whole time.

"while most scientists look on in horror." - some, including the vaccine makers themselves have expressed concerns about efficacy but it was a pragmatic decision to give at least a first line of defence to as many people as possible - all of these things are calculated gambles. What would you do given the choice? Double dose immediately but risk younger vulnerable people dying? It's not simple and easy questions. I see the BMA are now suggesting 6 weeks so will be interesting to see if there's a change, especially after early data our of Israel doesn't look promising on one dose alone.

Meanwhile the J&J one dose vaccine is around the corner which should help things. At least the UK haven't under ordered on doses..... like the EU.
If only BJ had followed the SAGE advice to the letter.

However, based on your assertion and our appalling death rate a good leader would have questioned the advice he was getting. He is culpable either way. I’m not saying other party leaders would have done better but with the highest office comes the highest responsibility.

ps you don’t need to preach to me about risks,I have a daughter in the extremely clinically vulnerable group and if she needs to stay in a few more months to make sure we do this correctly then so be it. She is 19 and has had to self isolate at home with us since March. I am terrified of her catching it which is why I don’t want a botched vaccine rollout which could potentially allow a vaccine resistant mutation and many more months and years of lockdown.

Finally, we can only really judge how governments have handled this pandemic a way down the line. Cheap shots against the EU based on their approach to the vaccine are a little hollow given our comparative death rates . Maybe we will achieve immunity quicker and save many lives. I really hope so.

Grecian Max

My prediction would be -

Late August start after season extended by 2/3 weeks to make up for postponements
Capped at 2,000 socially distanced until early October where 1,000 more will be allowed in
Back to 2,000 socially distanced for the winter period to deal with any new strains
Round 2 updated vaccinations in Dec-March
March-April possible "normal" but probably still masked up
Also - although slightly depressing, this would represent an improvement if we can have fans in for the majority of the season. You don't know what you had until it's gone, I'm sure we'll see a packed Big Bank again within a couple of years

Grecian Max

However, based on your assertion and our appalling death rate a good leader would have questioned the advice he was getting. He is culpable either way. I’m not saying other party leaders would have done better but with the highest office comes the highest responsibility.

ps you don’t need to preach to me about risks,I have a daughter in the extremely clinically vulnerable group and if she needs to stay in a few more months to make sure we do this correctly then so be it. She is 19 and has had to self isolate at home with us since March. I am terrified of her catching it which is why I don’t want a botched vaccine rollout which could potentially allow a vaccine resistant mutation and many more months and years of lockdown.

Finally, we can only really judge how governments have handled this pandemic a way down the line. Cheap shots against the EU based on their approach to the vaccine are a little hollow given our comparative death rates . Maybe we will achieve immunity quicker and save many lives. I really hope so.
I'm not defending BJ, but you need to understand that all European countries have struggled to contain this regardless of whos in control. As a nation that is a hub for international travel, more than any other European country it's a tough task. Zero covid, or the "NZ" model was never going happen here. Pragmatic decisions have to be made, and I can totally understand why they made that choice to delay the second dose.

RE: preaching, I didn't do that. If you want, for the record I have lost someone to Covid.

I wish the best for you and your daughter btw.

Legohead

Banned

Sorry to read of your daughter and her difficulties Benguin. It must be unimaginably hard for her and of course you all as a family. Hopefully it won't be for too much longer and she can get the vaccine and be able to feel more able to participate in the outside world again. Best wishes.

wiveygrecian

Also - although slightly depressing, this would represent an improvement if we can have fans in for the majority of the season. You don't know what you had until it's gone, I'm sure we'll see a packed Big Bank again within a couple of years
Yea quite sad really but I think you will be right . Will be a while until 3000 of us are bouncing in the bank without face masks

Status
Not open for further replies.