• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What date will we be back watching live football at SJP Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Any advance on July 31st 2021?
(Just for Hants)

Boyo

Covid is around forever, like flu, and the vaccines will ensure that far more less people will get seriously ill and die than would without. Even though without the vaccine, the vast majority of us would still be fine anyway. So, the powers that be have to treat it like flu going forwards, accept that some people will die from it each year and get back to normal once everyone who needs / wants a vaccine has had one.

There are really no excuses after that for continued restrictions.
I'm sorry but the notion that we just need to 'live with it' is utter nonsense. 1% are dying, when we just about have the hospitals to cope with it, although we really are at breaking point. There are 66m people in the UK. So 1% is 660k people. Once the NHS is overwhelmed that 1% turns to 2% and 3%.

How many more people get seriously ill? How many more get long Covid?

An effective vaccine is the only route out of this.

On the point of when we will return to stadiums, then if the vaccine rollout continues apace and any new variants are covered by existing vaccines, then surely we'll be back in August, with social distancing etc.

Legohead

Banned
I'm sorry but the notion that we just need to 'live with it' is utter nonsense. 1% are dying, when we just about have the hospitals to cope with it, although we really are at breaking point. There are 66m people in the UK. So 1% is 660k people. Once the NHS is overwhelmed that 1% turns to 2% and 3%.

How many more people get seriously ill? How many more get long Covid?

An effective vaccine is the only route out of this.

On the point of when we will return to stadiums, then if the vaccine rollout continues apace and any new variants are covered by existing vaccines, then surely we'll be back in August, with social distancing etc.
If you read the post Boyo, i did clearly infer that my post is based on what we should expect to happen going forward once everyone has had the vaccine. Not for things as they are now. So it's agreeing with you, an effective vaccine is the only route out of this but once people have had the vaccine then out of this we must go.

Therefore, once everyone has had the vaccine - we must learn to live with Covid.

Apologies Hants for an off the thread topic post. :sneaky:;) Just replying to Boyo.

DB9

Due to the uncertainty of fans being allowed in my lad has had his Euro tickets refunded, it was getting close to the date when refunds wouldn't be accepted and he said what with planes, Hotels etc (He had 3 tickets to matches in 3 different countries) now was the time to get full refunds on everything.

As for us getting into SJP, August at the very earliest, It's to unpredictable to call, Things seem to change nearly every day, What we need is constant low or reducing infections plus hospital admissions and deaths to really get low then we can get back.

Last edited:

Benguin

If you read the post Boyo, i did clearly infer that my post is based on what we should expect to happen going forward once everyone has had the vaccine. Not for things as they are now. So it's agreeing with you, an effective vaccine is the only route out of this but once people have had the vaccine then out of this we must go.

Therefore, once everyone has had the vaccine - we must learn to live with Covid.

Apologies Hants for an off the thread topic post. :sneaky:;) Just replying to Boyo.
All looks good with the vaccine except for the huge elephant in the room. We are delaying the second dose while most scientists look on in horror. We have already incubated one deadly variant due to the high levels of infection in this country and the bungled track and trace.

If people who have had one dose fail to build immunity before they get the delayed second dose, which is a very real prospect, then we run the risk of incubating a vaccine resistant variant of the virus which could even be more deadly than the current one.

Under this nightmare scenario we could be back to square one and who has any idea when we will be back in numbers.

I have come to the scientific conclusion that whatever Boris Johnson says is the right thing to do ,then it is probably wise to do the exact opposite.

Grecian Max

All looks good with the vaccine except for the huge elephant in the room. We are delaying the second dose while most scientists look on in horror. We have already incubated one deadly variant due to the high levels of infection in this country and the bungled track and trace.

If people who have had one dose fail to build immunity before they get the delayed second dose, which is a very real prospect, then we run the risk of incubating a vaccine resistant variant of the virus which could even be more deadly than the current one.

Under this nightmare scenario we could be back to square one and who has any idea when we will be back in numbers.

I have come to the scientific conclusion that whatever Boris Johnson says is the right thing to do ,then it is probably wise to do the exact opposite.
Firstly, BJ isn't leading this, SAGE are. They have been the whole time.

"while most scientists look on in horror." - some, including the vaccine makers themselves have expressed concerns about efficacy but it was a pragmatic decision to give at least a first line of defence to as many people as possible - all of these things are calculated gambles. What would you do given the choice? Double dose immediately but risk younger vulnerable people dying? It's not simple and easy questions. I see the BMA are now suggesting 6 weeks so will be interesting to see if there's a change, especially after early data our of Israel doesn't look promising on one dose alone.

Meanwhile the J&J one dose vaccine is around the corner which should help things. At least the UK haven't under ordered on doses..... like the EU.

LOG

Due to the uncertainty of fans being allowed in my lad has had his Euro tickets refunded, it was getting close to the date when refunds wouldn't be accepted and he said what with planes, Hotels etc (He had 3 tickets to matches in 3 different countries) now was the time to get full refunds on everything.
Has he actually had the money back? I heard that they were refunding back to the card details used to buy the tickets in the first place but as this was so long ago many of those cards had expired so the refunds weren’t going through.

Grecian Max

Legohead is right in that once vaccines are administered then we'll have to manage it over probably the next decade with yearly shots and tweaking that etc. Vallance himself has said there will be a point where, like flu, we have to accept a certain amount of yearly deaths - quoting 20,000 deaths in bad flu years.

Normality has to and will return eventually, just like after any pandemic. Just hope the world is a bit better prepared next time...

DB9

Yep, He's had no trouble in that regard.

Grecian Max

Has he actually had the money back? I heard that they were refunding back to the card details used to buy the tickets in the first place but as this was so long ago many of those cards had expired so the refunds weren’t going through.
I have this issue, I know my card is gone and account closed - for legal reasons they have to try (according to the email) and then if it doesn't go through they contact you to sort through bank transfer

I took the option of a refund because there's no way 80,000 are gonna be at Wembley in June, probably 10,000 maximum

Status
Not open for further replies.