• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Warrington Town vs Exeter City Official matchday thread!

Not going to write a proper report as you've all already seen the match. Not to mention I'm bloody annoyed.

I'm not going to Tisdale out after one match but he has really annoyed me. And after hearing his post match interview it only made me more angry. What are the players meant to learn when after losing to a bunch of part timers with regular jobs you say you're pleased with how they played? Head in the sand unfortunately springs to mind.

Another year without a cup run. Another probable reduction of the budget in the Summer. And perhaps most annoying, without that extra cash in reserve, we will have lost a lot of flexibility when it comes to hold out for good money for Grimes. We just won't be in a position to play hard ball on a possible deal.
Agree with that. I am still just so, so, so angry and more than anything frustrated by it all.

I was watching with my father who has as good a football brain and knowledge as anybody I know or have spent time with, including World Cup Winners, Champions League Winners, Premier League Winners, FA Cup Winners etc and he was spot on when he called Tis out in his Pre Game Interview on the BBC where in dads exact words 'I hope Tisdale isn't more worried about losing the game than he is winning the game as it will only make the players more nervous to begin with when there should be no need to be nervous if the play properly'. Our more experienced players let us down make no mistake, the likes of Noble, Butterfield, Oakley, Woodman etc needed to stand up to be counted and use their experience but non of them hardly made a pass to feet in the first 35 minutes of the game. We looked nervous, timid, scared and not one person (Grimes definitely excluded) stood up to be counted or was brave enough to try to make anything happen. Tisdale's job in the hour before a match is to do his best to control and improve HIS players mental condition before games and if he can honestly hand on heart say he was successful in improving the players mental condition before the game then what state must the players of been in before??

Been a fan of Cummins up to this point but he was as dire as it is possible to be without being negligent, not sure if the own goal which it was, affected him but even so for goodness sake man take that and force something to happen playing against players you should be eating for breakfast at that level.

Noble didn't look fit and as others have said Grimes can do a job on the wing but his best position is by far central midfield so play him there and leave Noble out unless you are going to play him in the 'hole' which I personally think could work well.

Scott Bennett needs to be left to play as a Center Back or as a midfield Anchor Man. Tis is going to kill his career if he doesn't let him just settle into a position, constantly moving him around isn't helping him develop or learn the tricks of the trade needed to be successful. Don't forget he only became a 'regular' in 2012/2013 and how many games has he actually played in the same position? Being adaptable can be blessing to begin with for getting in matchday squads when you are a young player trying to make the 'breakthrough' but the older you get the more of a curse it becomes as you can never get a consistent run of high levels of consistency going as you don't get into a rhythm and know where you are meant to be movement and positionally.

The only good thing to come out of the game is that Matt Grimes has answered more questions about him on the mental side of the game whereby any club watching him wondering how he would deal with playing in front of TV cameras had their answer where he was simply outstanding and completely light years ahead of anybody else on the pitch. It will have also raised his profile nationally which is a bad thing in that there will be even more clubs watching him from now on in and clubs that are already watching him will feel under more pressure to make their move now in January rather than wait but is a good thing in that he will have increased his transfer value and profile from last nights match. He is class, simply class. Oh and by the way did you know he is an England U20 player and he is only 19.............! :)

Personally don't think you can blame Pym for the goal as it happened so quickly and he had no chance once Cummins had flicked it past him. He did some smart pieces of goalkeeping which Robbie Savage picked up on as well. By the way I thought at least Savage tried to bring some balance to the commentary especially with the bloke that in a League match would have been sent off for them last night.

For me the whole thing was wrong from beginning to end. The BBC coverage was awful, so biased and so cringeworthy making out that ECFC were giants etc when in reality they probably have as much money as we do as we certainly don't have a 'pot to p@ss in' to be perfectly blunt. It was all about Warrington and barely a mention about Exeter City FC, that noob Sinclair couldn't even be arsed to talk about the Exeter City players when he was meant to be talking about our players and the lineup to begin with before the match. They couldn't even get the player picture right. Utter rubbish and only reinforced my opinion about the BBC.

Last edited:

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well it was good of tisdale to apologise to the fans.

Oh wait..........

paperclip

GO'G and geofwp , excellent posts just above , I haven't always agreed with some of your views but you just about summed it up for me. I feel totally embarrassed after watching that shambles , what a missed opportunity to earn more much needed cash from a cup run plus attract more fans to the Park. I'm thinking we are too lightweight , hence we do well against more skilful teams who try to play football but usually fail against the cloggers. I fear for what will happen with the pitches getting wetter and heavier every week. P.s it would have been lovely to have had Jamie Cureton on that pitch in the second half , I bet he would have unlocked them , packed defence or not.
Agree with everything you have written. I hope it doesn't happen again but I do fear that our recent home form might start to tail off now that Winter is here and the pitch is less conducive to our tippy-tappy football.

"I am disappointed !"

Well matey my guts are churning inside and I'm so bloody well annoyed I could scream. What is the point of the Trust requesting extra payments towards the potential PFA loan that may need take place when you and the players **** IT UP !!

Take responsibility man - you're ready to accept the plaudits accept the criticism and don't make the same mistakes twice - however you seem hell bent on repeating them!
One million percent right!!!!

paperclip

For me the whole thing was wrong from beginning to end. The BBC coverage was awful, so biased and so cringeworthy making out that ECFC were giants etc when in reality they probably have as much money as we do as we certainly don't have a 'pot to p@ss in' to be perfectly blunt. It was all about Warrington and barely a mention about Exeter City FC, that noob Sinclair couldn't even be arsed to talk about the Exeter City players when he was meant to be talking about our players and the lineup to begin with before the match. They couldn't even get the player picture right. Utter rubbish and only reinforced my opinion about the BBC.
I didn't really expect anything else to be honest. The 'interest' in the story was the plucky part-timers making it through to the first round for the first time in the clubs history etc, etc, no-one outside of East Devon would have given a **** about the league club and their side of the story. Having said that, if they are the best presenters/pundits that the BBC can find then us licence payers really are being ripped off....

paperclip

Oh wait..........
I imagine he is too busy, as he is no doubt on his way to Luton to watch Newport ahead of next weeks league game. Probably.

Barum

Good post GOG. I totally agree with everything you have written. I haven't read through this thread because I'm trying to enjoy time with extended family on a birthday weekend, but finding that difficult enough as it is without being reminded again about the utterly embarrassing display I watched last night. A complete and utter fu ck up in all departments that has led to the club missing out on a vital cash bonus. I cannot believe just how totally ineffective we were. Where the hell was the team i watched perform so well against Luton town? I did begin to wonder if they were all just scared witless by the occasion? Whatever the reason this was one of the most cringing performances I have watched from a city side. Well done to Warrington. They had the balls, the guts, the heart, the energy, the confidence and the want. All the things we didn't. Over and fekkin out.
Strong words.
Does this mean you'll be handing your Engagement ring back to Tisdale?

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was truly embarrassing. Most has been said already but does anyone know the benefit of the Tisdale tactic of having 2 city players at the same time taking corners ? All it does as soon as the ball is crossed is take 2 players out of the game.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Fair play to Geoff and G'OG. We seldom agree but I agree with both their assessments today.

butch

Oh wait..........
Bolton or Wigan ?