• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Warrington Town vs Exeter City Official matchday thread!

paperclip

Not going to write a proper report as you've all already seen the match. Not to mention I'm bloody annoyed.

A lot a saying Sercs had decent game but I really don't think he did. As ever there was a lot of effort and he did his usual running around but he never really does anything or creates anything. Grimes as said was the better of our players but first half he was wasted out on the left. I do have a couple problems with him; one being that he is incredibly reluctant to use his right foot. So much so that he won't even take a touch or make a 2 yard pass with it. He made a good run to the edge of their box early doors second half but he had to wait and check back ceause it wasn't on his left and the chance was gone.

We were devoid of ideas going forward. To put it some perspective our players failed to score past a website designer, a personal trainer, a hotel worker, a fencer, a plasterer and a catwalk model.

Tis did get it completely wrong in truth. Cummins up top on his own, Bennett in the hole and Noble on the pitch were just some of the really silly decisions. I'm not going to Tisdale out after one match but he has really annoyed me. And after hearing his post match interview it only made me more angry. What are the players meant to learn when after losing to a bunch of part timers with regular jobs you say you're pleased with how they played? Head in the sand unfortunately springs to mind.

Another year without a cup run. Another probable reduction of the budget in the Summer. And perhaps most annoying, without that extra cash in reserve, we will have lost a lot of flexibility when it comes to hold out for good money for Grimes. We just won't be in a position to play hard ball on a possible deal.

My worst away game watching City. It was so embarassing.
Decent report as always GOG. Just out of interest, what sort of reception did the players get from the travelling fans after the game? I couldn't tell from the TV pictures as understandably it was all about Warrington.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Decent report as always GOG. Just out of interest, what sort of reception did the players get from the travelling fans after the game? I couldn't tell from the TV pictures as understandably it was all about Warrington.
No reception whatsoever. The full time whistle was met by a pitch invasion from the Warrington fans and our players subsequently headed straight for the changing rooms. No real chance to see the masses reaction to the players. No cheers. No boos. Just a collective realisation that we had just been embarassed by a team of part timers on national television.

paperclip

No reception whatsoever. The full time whistle was met by a pitch invasion from the Warrington fans and our players subsequently headed straight for the changing rooms. No real chance to see the masses reaction to the players. No cheers. No boos. Just a collective realisation that we had just been embarassed by a team of part timers on national television.
Thanks. Fair play to you and the other travellers for making the effort, especially when the game was on TV. Shame the players and manager didn't follow your example.

Last edited:

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks. Fair play to you and the other travellers for making the effort, especially when the game was on TV. Shame the players and manager didn't follow your example.
Exactly, a day off work and a oner in ticket, travel and food and not a single apology!!

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dreadful result last night. First twenty minutes were totally inept. Noble played like he was ****ed.

After that we played pretty well, but offered nothing up front. My relief at seeing Noble withdrawn was matched only by my dismay that Davies was replacing him. What does Nicholls have to do to get a run in the team? This match was made for him. A slow, unfit defence would have not had fun against his pace.

Somehow, despite loads of pressure, the ball just wouldn't go in. We lost. We're out of the cup again BUT we now have to move on.

After an awful start to the season this team have shown such an improvement in the last two months. My worry is that the massive overreaction to this defeat is going to sew the seed of negativity amongst our support, most of whom see to have totally forgotten some of our superb performances in the league recently.

Get over it quickly, get behind the team and move on. If we sneak into the play offs come May last night will be just a distant (albeit very embarrassing) memory.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Strong words.
Does this mean you'll be handing your Engagement ring back to Tisdale?
No mate. I said I would go to the new year before I made any real assessment on where I thought this team was and I still intend that. Last night was a gutting experience but after this weekend I'm not going to dwell on it further. Going to file it in the 'most embarrassing cringing city moments' tray then shut it. As a team I just hope this doesn't continue to have a negative effect and that we can go out for the next league game, pick our league form up from wherever it was that it got dropped and get winning again. I've said elsewhere that I want Tis to learn from this. I want him to be able to understand the pain something like this causes and tell us he regrets it. I want him to try to have a conversation with us.

Dubai Grecian

Took the day to reflect before posting in the hope I could be objective in my comments, so in no particular order.

Firstly total respect for those who travelled and had to witness the embarrassment of seeing us live, now my observations. It's the first time I've seen us play this year but it's clear why so many rate young Grimes. What struck me last night was the fact that seasoned pros went missing, time and time again it was Grimes and Sercombe left to try and penetrate their bank of defenders. Again our players either don't have the ability, confidence or intelligence to "see" the game, why again and again did some persist with high balls into the box or our front man, we won less than 10% all night.

It's clear we have one attacking tactic and if the opposition sits back we have no plan B, that's the managers fault. It's also apparent we lack creative midfielders and that out and out forward (old news I know) but when not if Grimes leaves God help us.

Over thirty years of supporting City I had my fair share of embarrassing games watching City, this was another but thankfully not "live" I simply turned off the TV at full time. Where next though? We can't afford to terminate Tis' contract, I raised this point months ago, but it's clear he has an arrogance, a lack of willingness to consider amending his tactics and that is a real issue.

We'll recover and move on but the club/board have reached a cross roads, investment in some fresh talent, two players minimum and take the risk or seriously look at the options for replacing the manager. The next few weeks will be interesting.

Last edited:

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Exactly, a day off work and a oner in ticket, travel and food and not a single apology!!
Funny you should say that.

On twitter, Wheeler is the only one so far who apologised to the fans.

Then you get Sercombe and Grimes just favouriting and retweeting messages sent to them on twitter about how much better they supposedly are than the lot they are playing with. Really annoyed me to be perfectly honest and struck me as a bit disrepectful that they just happily take the plaudits they're getting but can't achknowledge the 288 fans who travelled or the masses who watched that load of rubbish on the TV.

I was and still am annoyed so am probably making too big a deal out of it but I did find it a bit disrepctful and slightly egotistical on their behalf.

Last edited:
Funny you should say that.

On twitter, Wheeler is the only one so far who apologised to the fans.

Then you get Sercombe and Grimes just favouriting and retweeting messages sent to them on twitter about how much better they supposedly are than the lot they are playing with. Really annoyed me to be perfectly honest and struck me as a bit disrepectful that they just happily take the plaudits they're getting but can't achknowledge the 288 fans who travelled or the masses who watched that load of rubbish on the TV.

I was and still am annoyed so am probably making too big a deal out of it but I did find it a bit disrepctful and slightly egotistical on their behalf.
Firstly I really like David Wheeler really nice bloke.

If Sercs and Grimes have done that then I am very disappointed in them both but especially Sercs. Grimes played well and will play at a very, very high level probably sooner rather than later in his career injury permitting. Sercs was OK in patches but he is not going to be anything more than a League 1 player at most so it isn't very clever to be trying to play the 'Billy Big B@llocks' as it will alienate him from players he will spend the majority of his career with whether he thinks he should be playing higher or not.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I’ve not read through this thread at all and, at way over 500 posts I’m unlikely to do so. Therefore, in the highly unlikely event that I’m simply repeating what most of you have said, then forgive me. However, I strongly suspect that I won’t be so please feel free to skip this post in it’s entirety. Do not raise your blood pressure any more than it already is.
Am I disappointed? Yes I am. Am I upset? Yes, but not as much as I was at midnight when I finally had the chance to finish watching the game. Am I embarrassed? Yes, but not as much as most will be. I’m fortunate in living in a rural area where the only sporting interest appears to be who can round up the most escaped bullocks on a wet and windy night. (Farmer Ross holds that record, should you be interested, but the crew at Manor Farm are snapping at his heels).
I haven’t caught up with the interviews yet but will do so later.
So, what went wrong? Well, in the first instance, travelling up on the day wouldn’t have helped. I appreciate cash is tight but a dozen shared rooms at your local Premier Inn type establishment would have cost no more than about £20 a head. Plus brekkers. The players could have easily paid for themselves on the promise of reimbursement if they win. Maybe they were all fully booked by hardy Southerners catching some late winter sun.
Then there was Mr Reid’s secret weapon. The pitch – and I use the term in it’s loosest of forms. Yes, it looked ok on the telemachine, it probably didn’t look so bad from the stands. But my spy at the match arrived quite early in the day and, on remarking that the pitch looked better than he’d expected, was invited by Mr Reid to go out onto it and have a look. Which he did. It’s fair to say that the field of play actually was just that. A field. Bumpier than a teenager’s chin. That would have taken a little adapting to.
Then there was the opposition. I’m not saying they weren’t gutsy, they were. I’m not saying they didn’t have the stamina and rose to the occasion, they did. What I am saying, though, is that we turned up for a game of football and they turned up for rugby. How on Earth they didn’t have a goodly number of players sent off I’ll never know. There is a difference between a solid, physically inclined team and a horde of Vandals.
I’ve said elsewhere that we were unlucky to have a goal go in. It was a complete scrum and the ball had as much chance of pinging out as pinging in.
The actual footballing analysis I’ll leave to others, I’m not equipped that way. However, I thought we played well for three quarters of the game. The first quarter, imo, was spent adapting to Mr Reid’s secret weapon and the dawning realisation that the other side had attended a different school. One which clearly missed out the word ‘beautiful’ before the word ‘game’. Once we got into it, though, I always thought we’d get at least an equaliser, if not a win. That wasn’t to be.
On the plus side, and I am scratching around for them, the televised defeat (I prefer to think we just came second) would have done Mr Grimes’ stock no harm at all. Indeed, he probably added a good chunk to his value far in excess of a couple of non-televised wins.
I trust we came out of the debacle with the minimum of injuries as, at least, *cliché alert* we can concentrate on the push up the league.
Sour grapes? I don’t think so. A little bitter? Probably. But I would actually like to see Warrington go far. About as far as the local court for assault and battery.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, it’s my turn to unlatch the gate to the lower paddock …