• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Warrington Town vs Exeter City Official matchday thread!

globegrecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thousands of supporters have deserted this club since our second League One season and this was a chance to win some of them over from the no-cost comfort of their arm chairs. A cup run would have done absolute wonders for this club: everything that Brazil was meant to be but wasn't ie profile, cash, support.

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not going to write a proper report as you've all already seen the match. Not to mention I'm bloody annoyed.

A lot a saying Sercs had decent game but I really don't think he did. As ever there was a lot of effort and he did his usual running around but he never really does anything or creates anything. Grimes as said was the better of our players but first half he was wasted out on the left. I do have a couple problems with him; one being that he is incredibly reluctant to use his right foot. So much so that he won't even take a touch or make a 2 yard pass with it. He made a good run to the edge of their box early doors second half but he had to wait and check back ceause it wasn't on his left and the chance was gone.

We were devoid of ideas going forward. To put it some perspective our players failed to score past a website designer, a personal trainer, a hotel worker, a fencer, a plasterer and a catwalk model.

Tis did get it completely wrong in truth. Cummins up top on his own, Bennett in the hole and Noble on the pitch were just some of the really silly decisions. I'm not going to Tisdale out after one match but he has really annoyed me. And after hearing his post match interview it only made me more angry. What are the players meant to learn when after losing to a bunch of part timers with regular jobs you say you're pleased with how they played? Head in the sand unfortunately springs to mind.

Another year without a cup run. Another probable reduction of the budget in the Summer. And perhaps most annoying, without that extra cash in reserve, we will have lost a lot of flexibility when it comes to hold out for good money for Grimes. We just won't be in a position to play hard ball on a possible deal.

My worst away game watching City. It was so embarassing.

Last edited:

denzil

Joe Public will remember whatever is shown on TV the most. Which will of course be us losing to a team four leagues below us, as the BBC will show the goal, their ground and manager etc at every opportunity for the rest of the competition.
So not forgetting this potential banana skin (and how Exeter City will forever appear in the minds of most people) how did we play for the first half (when the damage was done ? Like the team 100 places below Warrington. We should have been totally professional and committed from the Manager downwards and we weren't.

So Warrington lost 3-0 last week to Droylesdon - I wonder how well we'd have done against them ?

Two slow players lacking in height and with a combined age of 70 playing at the back and getting caught out time and again. Our only CB playing ineffectually "in the hole" and .............oh bugger it I'm so ****ed off I can't be arsed any more.

Try as I might I just cannot shrug my shoulders this morning and adopt the "it's only one game" attitude. As a club we have to graft and graft for every single penny we can get because, without that, we will be stagnant forever. We can't afford to lose these cup games, especially on live TV. We lose the opportunity of further "free" cash, as well as winning over the uncommitted fans. Plastics they might be , but we need their bloody money to be spent at City, not at Sandy Park. Last night was yet another a massive lost opportunity in the FA Cup for Exeter City. End of.
This I think hits the nail on the head for me. Our club needs every single penny we can possibly get from ANY avenue possible (legal). To just spunk it up the wall when we should have had enough to easily win the match without needing luck to be on our side (which it clearly wasn't) and it is inexcusable. Tis as much as I like him, would be better served showing some visual acceptance that his team failed and it is not acceptable to him. That way people I think would find it easier to move on. The trouble is that when Tis says anything at all about not being able to afford to sign players or brings up his playing budget, then people are just going to throw the £18k prize money he (his team) failed to win when in reality they should have banked that no excuses. Also your point about the uncommitted fans (academically known as Low Identifying or Social fans) is spot on and is exactly where this club needs to aim if it is to move forward. The hardcore fans won't like it but I would much rather have a pool of 6000 uncommitted fans with 2000 turning up each week on rotation then have another 1000 'hard core' fans with Exeter City FC badges tattooed on their arses coming to matches instead. Money is Money whether we want football to be about that or not.

The worst thing I think as well is that young kids from 6 up to 16 whose friends know are Exeter City FC fans are going to take a verbal kicking on Monday if they haven't already, which isn't going to hardly encourage them to continue being openly a ECFC fan or even in some cases to continue being a fan or wanting to go to matches when they can take the easy option of supporting a 'big' successful club like a Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal etc which won't have the same issues. There is an awful lot of physiology that comes into being a football fan especially at a young age and last night be lost the match but we also lost a big battle for the hearts and minds of potential new young fans to which could prove even more costly in opportunities lost not just now but also in the future.

Last edited:

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good post GOG. I totally agree with everything you have written. I haven't read through this thread because I'm trying to enjoy time with extended family on a birthday weekend, but finding that difficult enough as it is without being reminded again about the utterly embarrassing display I watched last night. A complete and utter fu ck up in all departments that has led to the club missing out on a vital cash bonus. I cannot believe just how totally ineffective we were. Where the hell was the team i watched perform so well against Luton town? I did begin to wonder if they were all just scared witless by the occasion? Whatever the reason this was one of the most cringing performances I have watched from a city side. Well done to Warrington. They had the balls, the guts, the heart, the energy, the confidence and the want. All the things we didn't. Over and fekkin out.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
The manager was clueless in his interview before the match, the team matched that on the pitch!! we never looked like scoring, half chances was all we created, apart from Noble hitting the bar. There was no desire or passion from the Clueless one, on the sidelines, again this was matched on the pitch, in the 2nd minute of injury time we were still fannying about with the ball in our own half!!

DB9

I'm watching Football Focus at the moment and of course the match last night is being spoken about time and time again, Yes the BBC have to do this but this is what people are meaning when they say they are so ****ed off about the game. We are now known as the team that LOST. I know the money is important and every avenue has to be explored and exploited to get as much as possible and we have totally screwed that up, What will be the result of this lost income? Not sure as it was budgeted for but it would have been bloody useful

Newtonpop

When the draw was made did we get someone to go and watch them at least once? I thought that in the first hour we should have had a couple of quick players running the channels and grinding them down then going in for the kill as they tired. As for the goal basic play there should be a player on the near post and Pym didn't seem to command the area.

denzil

"I am disappointed !"

Well matey my guts are churning inside and I'm so bloody well annoyed I could scream. What is the point of the Trust requesting extra payments towards the potential PFA loan that may need take place when you and the players **** IT UP !!

Take responsibility man - you're ready to accept the plaudits accept the criticism and don't make the same mistakes twice - however you seem hell bent on repeating them!

Banksy

GO'G and geofwp , excellent posts just above , I haven't always agreed with some of your views but you just about summed it up for me. I feel totally embarrassed after watching that shambles , what a missed opportunity to earn more much needed cash from a cup run plus attract more fans to the Park. I'm thinking we are too lightweight , hence we do well against more skilful teams who try to play football but usually fail against the cloggers. I fear for what will happen with the pitches getting wetter and heavier every week. P.s it would have been lovely to have had Jamie Cureton on that pitch in the second half , I bet he would have unlocked them , packed defence or not.