• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Fair enough. But that's more a case of the paper reporting in good faith what it was told by the boy's parents rather than deliberately printing something which it knew to be untrue. There is, I think, a significant difference.
Maybe I'm missing something, but it's ok for a newspaper to publish a story based purely on what parents say? Maybe it's in good faith but it seems like very poor journalism to me.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
There are a lot of substantiated libel charges in UK courts. The problem is if you cant easily afford to fight the legal case then people can effectively write whatever they want about you.

Rog H K

Okay, point me to one Echo story which has subsequently been proven to be untrue. I'd be surprised if you can.
I remember reading a story about Exeter City a few years ago now and it read " The late Clifford Hill" . He was at the time alive and well. Yes he has passed away now but that came to a bit of a shock to a few people at the time.

Antony Moxey

I remember reading a story about Exeter City a few years ago now and it read " The late Clifford Hill" . He was at the time alive and well. Yes he has passed away now but that came to a bit of a shock to a few people at the time.
I expect that they meant that he didn't turn up on time for an interview.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Maybe I'm missing something, but it's ok for a newspaper to publish a story based purely on what parents say? Maybe it's in good faith but it seems like very poor journalism to me.
Read the story - there are extensive quotes from Academy manager Simon Hayward saying that the club is taking the allegation very seriously and launching an investigation. Clearly, the reporter did speak to the club for its version of events and it was only some time later the actual situation came to light.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster

PeteUSA

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

iscalad

I expect it will be the usual excuse. News story not a sports story.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Clearly, the fact that Ingham was a former Exeter City trainee was mentioned in court or the journo wouldn't have known.

That being the case, it would, IMO, have been entirely legitimate to refer to him in the headline as 'former Exeter City trainee' and entirely understandable that the Echo would do so, given it would heighten the likelihood that many people will click on the story.

In actual fact, the headline refers to 'former Exeter City player' which, to me at least, rather implies Ingham played at least once for the first team. Clearly, he didn't and if someone were to suggest this was stretching things a bit I couldn't disagree.

Last edited: