• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Iain Stewart is a Dr too.

If it's 'a push to get a paper out', perhaps they shouldn't bother? I assume your last sentence is a joke: people aren't getting news about what's going on if the paper is publishing stories about tsunamis and tenuous scaremongering connections to sex abusers.

The trouble with real news is that it takes commitment, real effort and resources.
So, imagine for a minute, a couple of shysters are in charge at SJP and disappearing overseas with the gate receipts in a suitcase after every home game. The Echo has ceased publication several years ago, as a result of which its website had also folded. Where, exactly, do you expect to see this story reported?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well quite. 'Story' would appear to be quite appropriate - it seems as though most newspapers these days seem intent on publishing fiction rather than fact. Interesting that your priority is that it's talked about, I would prefer if journalists saw that their main aim was to ensure that what they actually published was both true and accurate ahead of being the subject of idle gossip.
I assumed true and accurate were givens.

Last edited:

Fareham Grecian

So, imagine for a minute, a couple of shysters are in charge at SJP and disappearing overseas with the gate receipts in a suitcase after every home game. The Echo has ceased publication several years ago, as a result of which its website had also folded. Where, exactly, do you expect to see this story reported?!
You've already said they are struggling to put a paper together now on 25% of the staff they had. Why do you think they might bother about a story that would involve some digging when they could just print some third hand rubbish about Devon being swamped by a tsunami? Can you name any great exposes they've managed in the last few years?

Fareham Grecian

I assumed true and accurate were givens.
Post of the year.

flakey pasty

I think there is a future for the E&E. We can all remember it's importance to us in keeping in touch with ECFC when we were kids. I still read it when I can. Trying to smear the club with the abuse scandal though, when there is no meaningful connection, is really shameful.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
You've already said they are struggling to put a paper together now on 25% of the staff they had. Why do you think they might bother about a story that would involve some digging when they could just print some third hand rubbish about Devon being swamped by a tsunami? Can you name any great exposes they've managed in the last few years?
How about the story about the West Exe head, Steve Madden, who was earning significantly more than the PM and employed multiple family members in positions they weren't properly qualified for. As a result of the Echo expose, he left the school.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Post of the year.
Okay, point me to one Echo story which has subsequently been proven to be untrue. I'd be surprised if you can.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interesting headline today

Ex-rugby captain took woman out of view of CCTV cameras before beating her up
He'd played for Exmouth, and he was an ex-Royal Marine. No mention in their headline though, and no tenuous links to those two organisations either.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Okay, point me to one Echo story which has subsequently been proven to be untrue. I'd be surprised if you can.
The recent story about the boy being bullied by Exeter City youth team had to be changed.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The recent story about the boy being bullied by Exeter City youth team had to be changed.
Fair enough. But that's more a case of the paper reporting in good faith what it was told by the boy's parents rather than deliberately printing something which it knew to be untrue. There is, I think, a significant difference.