• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Fair enough. But that's more a case of the paper reporting in good faith what it was told by the boy's parents rather than deliberately printing something which it knew to be untrue. There is, I think, a significant difference.
But again it was a story that sought to damage the reputation of the Exeter City FC.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
But again it was a story that sought to damage the reputation of the Exeter City FC.
Nonsense. It may have been a story which used the Exeter City angle to arouse a bit of interest, but to suggest the intention was to damage the football club's reputation is ridiculous. For what it's worth, in my time at the Echo, the story which would undoubtedly have sold more papers than any other did not see the light of day because of the impact it may have had on the football club. It says a lot that I've never once seen that story mentioned on here, or elsewhere, but, of course, the Echo gets no credit for that.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Egg, best stop while you're behind. You're asked about a recent expose and the best you can come up with is West Exe school that's a good few years ago now, then you ask when the paper's got it wrong, are given a story to which you reply that ah, it was printed in good faith.

Given the excuses and diversions being bandied about here it would seem the E&E and ECFC make decent bedfellows, despite the Echo doing their best to discredit the club at every opportunity.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Egg, best stop while you're behind. You're asked about a recent expose and the best you can come up with is West Exe school that's a good few years ago now, then you ask when the paper's got it wrong, are given a story to which you reply that ah, it was printed in good faith.

Given the excuses and diversions being bandied about here it would seem the E&E and ECFC make decent bedfellows, despite the Echo doing their best to discredit the club at every opportunity.
Okay, how about the story about the woman brought in to oversee the financial recovery of the RD&E... until the Echo uncovered she'd lost her job at a hospital in Oz having overseen a near £100m black hole in its finances?!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting headline today

He'd played for Exmouth, and he was an ex-Royal Marine. No mention in their headline though, and no tenuous links to those two organisations either.
Though both of those facts are high up in the story and, you conveniently overlook, there's a picture of him playing rugby for Exmouth contained within it.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately I had to make a little comment on the Echo's FB page that they got it wrong when they said Ben Hamer was the first ex-City player to play in the Champions League. That honour goes, I believe, to Simon Davies.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unfortunately I had to make a little comment on the Echo's FB page that they got it wrong when they said Ben Hamer was the first ex-City player to play in the Champions League. That honour goes, I believe, to Simon Davies.
Ah, but didn't he play in the CL before playing for City.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moreover, reasonably sure he scored a goal within minutes of his Champions League debut.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Ah, but didn't he play in the CL before playing for City.
No. He was on loan to City in, I believe, 93/94, and made his United debut the following season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Moreover, reasonably sure he scored a goal within minutes of his Champions League debut.
Yes, in a 4-0 win over Galatasaray.