• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Typical E&E

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That is a totally ridiculous analogy Egg. The Queen is a serving monarch, sitting on the throne.

I appreciate your allegiance to your former employers, but truth be told, standards have gone down the toilet since you were there.
As I've intimated, I wouldn't entirely agree with that assertion though, frankly, with the number of staff left, it's a wonder they get a paper out at all.

That aside, as I said, I think it's stretching things to suggest this guy had played for the first team, but entirely legitimate to mention his connection to the club - all the more so if this was referred to in court.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
If the Queen was killed in a road traffic accident, do you think the BBC would report: 'Pensioner Elizabeth Windsor was killed when a lorry crashed into her car. Mrs Windsor, 90, is survived by her husband Philip, three sons and a daughter.'
When Charles announced he was going to marry Camilla, the headline in the local paper (Wilts and Glos Standard) was 'Tetbury man to wed'.

Colesman Ballz

As I've intimated, I wouldn't entirely agree with that assertion though, frankly, with the number of staff left, it's a wonder they get a paper out at all.

That aside, as I said, I think it's stretching things to suggest this guy had played for the first team, but entirely legitimate to mention his connection to the club - all the more so if this was referred to in court.
Ok, I wasn't there in court, but I imagine the scenario would have been that the defending solicitor probably mentioned it in either summing up or in mitigation, to try and use it to get a reduced sentence. It was hardly the central key fact of the trial. The E & E used it in the headline purely for THEIR OWN financial purposes, without a care for any besmirching of the Grecian's reputation or standing. Whatever you may think, to me that is simply Gutter Journalism.

Avening Posse

When Charles announced he was going to marry Camilla, the headline in the local paper (Wilts and Glos Standard) was 'Tetbury man to wed'.
(rofl)...........

LOG

Did that missing owl ever turn up?

PeteUSA

The E & E used it in the headline purely for THEIR OWN financial purposes, without a care for any besmirching of the Grecian's reputation or standing. Whatever you may think, to me that is simply Gutter Journalism.
Well, theres me thinking that Tagg has got the E&E in his pocket, and it seems the "Grecians reputation or standing" counts for bugger all; that is of course unless they called him to get the article OK'd.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ok, I wasn't there in court, but I imagine the scenario would have been that the defending solicitor probably mentioned it in either summing up or in mitigation, to try and use it to get a reduced sentence. It was hardly the central key fact of the trial. The E & E used it in the headline purely for THEIR OWN financial purposes, without a care for any besmirching of the Grecian's reputation or standing. Whatever you may think, to me that is simply Gutter Journalism.
While I can't speak for the Echo, I'd suggest they used the headline they did because a story involving 'a former Exeter City player' is likely to arouse more interest than a story about a carpenter from Crediton.

Hard as this may be to grasp, newspapers depend on people reading their stories to survive. The Echo hasn't invented an 'alternative fact', but referred to something which was mentioned in court.

Rest assured, the football club is much closer to my heart than the Echo, but I can accept the paper has a job to do. Are you seriously suggesting that this story will affect the regard in which your average punter holds the club?!

Antony Moxey

Actually, yes. And typically, and stereotypically, you can see the snobby rugged buggers at Sandy Park drinking their £6 pints whilst stuffing a £5 gristle in a bun hog roast down their necks in their matching family pack of Chiefs jackets that they got for £75 each looking down their noses at that headline while sneeringly dismissing it as typical footballers. 'Oh, did we score? Was it Jack Nowell?'

Plus every other non football fan that reads that utter waste of newsprint and bandwidth will also nod knowingly to friends about how it's always footballers and so much for City being either a family or community club when it has players like this. Not the first time either, you'd never get a rugby* player acting like that.

* insert alternative sport of choice.

Grecian2K

Bravo Antony!

Bravo!!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Story in the E&E about a Chief's player urinating in a shop window while dressed as a policeman!