• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
did we previously get offered a ground share with Exeter Rugby Club?
Yes but (a) it was too expensive and (b) there would have been issues over "primacy rules" about who gets first dibs on the ground where there are clashes between rugby and football matches. Also (c) the dimensions of the pitches are not congruent (in-goal areas make for a long pitch) and (d) rugby churns up the turf - see Coventry, Newport, Bristol City.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have been doing well recently, but there's no point in making decisions based on half a season of good ticket sales. If we have another two seasons where we sell out the majority of games then would be a good time for a discussion
Having looked back at attendance figures it's fair to say we can expect a bit of a drop off next season once the honeymoon period is over.

Andy_H

You forgot Scunthorpe. In the Championship 2006-2011. Ground capacity 9,008. Wouldn't mind a 5 year run like that....at least.
Sadly Pete, while history is romantic, actuality and 'today' is more about realism look where they are today, as in the song by Lyndsey de Paul - 'Rock bottom'.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Sadly Pete, while history is romantic, actuality and 'today' is more about realism look where they are today, as in the song by Lyndsey de Paul - 'Rock bottom'.
A winding up petition has been issued this week against them.

Andy_H

A winding up petition has been issued this week against them.
I rest my case M'lud!

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
did we previously get offered a ground share with Exeter Rugby Club?
Yes, around the time that the Trust took over the club but iirc Mr Rowe wanted £20 million or so, and it was a total non starter. I always had the impression that it was a "political" move by him to keep things sweet with Exeter City Council who had been "bending over backwards" to help the Chiefs achieve their move to Sandy Park.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I might be wrong, but seem to remember Tagg indicated the Stansfield stand could have a 2nd tier added to it, because the structure has been done in such a way? (I Might be dreaming here)>
Does anyone know anything more about this? If it can be done for a non-bankrupting price then it seems to me the easiest way to add a couple of thousand to the capacity without running into (as many) objections from those who live nearby.

Bridgy 81

I don’t know much about Lyndsey de Paul but if anyone’s got 11 minutes and 27 seconds to spare check out and crank up the live Strangers in the Night version of Rock Bottom by UFO 🤘

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I might be wrong, but seem to remember Tagg indicated the Stansfield stand could have a 2nd tier added to it, because the structure has been done in such a way? (I Might be dreaming here)>
I don't recall that and I took part in some of the discussions.

It was certainly designed originally so that it could be extended round the Well Street / St James Road corner, though I don't know how easy that would be in practice and where the 1st aid / police hut could be moved to.

IMO to only realistic increase in capacity would come from doing this and butting it onto a small double-decker stand to replace the Barnet terrace. Though I doubt it would be cost-effective unless we got into the Chapionship and stayed up several years.

Andy_H

For the season, in between Chiefs moving from The Count Ground to Sandy Park, when they were in the promotion race, eventually loosing out to Leeds i think it was, there were fairly advanced talks about them sharing SJP with ECFC, effectively being a 'tenant' of ECFC.
The 'plan' was that they would invest upwards of £400k on improvements to make SJP fulfil the ground requirements for Premiership Rugby.
These improvements included the provision of new changing rooms where the shop and Grecian centre are now. This would have meant changing rooms big enough for 23 burly rugby players, being then used on football days, by 16/17 footballers!
Also, there was a requirement for a certain amount of 'entertaining' space, so the old Centre Spot/car park now student accommodation, would have been covered over with a huge marque (signing).
I think as well, that they were planning on spending a considerable amount on improving the drainage at SJP, a task we eventually carried out, very successfully, ourselves some years later.