• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ticket sales for the FGR game have got me thinking about ground capacity and if money was no object, what would be a sensible size for SJP. Exeter and the wider East Devon area is going to keep on growing and the appetite seems to be there, certainly for League One football anyway. Let's say for the Plymouth game in April, how good would it be if there were 12/13 thousand packed in, I'm sure that lot down the A38 could bring at least 3k and it would make for such a good atmosphere (hopefully). When games have sold out recently, have we any idea of how many tickets we cold have sold- is there any tangible way of assessing the demand?

I am aware of the constraints of the train line and that there doesn't seem to be a feasible way of increasing the overall capacity, but it just seems a shame that we can't ever have more than 8,000 in attendance. I wonder if it comes to a point where it does become worth looking at ways of expanding or if sub 8000 is our limit for the foreseeable (and maybe unforeseeable) future?
A sensible no money stadium would be 10,000 (Stacked with loads of commercial hospitality and other facilities of money generation possibilities). with the ability to expand it to 20,000. space within our current levels and then further expansion if our levels change really rapidly.

I might be wrong, but seem to remember Tagg indicated the Stansfield stand could have a 2nd tier added to it, because the structure has been done in such a way? (I Might be dreaming here)>

Fareham Grecian

We definitely need to expand the ground
There have been so many supposed sell outs this season but when you look around the ground the away end never seems full and the same for the big bank
You seem to be arguing against yourself here? Why would we need a bigger ground if you are saying we are not even really filling the one we’ve got?

Fareham Grecian

A sensible no money stadium would be 10,000 (Stacked with loads of commercial hospitality and other facilities of money generation possibilities). with the ability to expand it to 20,000. space within our current levels and then further expansion if our levels change really rapidly.
That feels about right to me. And the difference between 8k and 10k financially is nowhere near enough to build a business case for a new stadium - even before you factor in all the stuff we would lose, like location, public transport, atmosphere, history…

Reactions: WXF

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We definitely need to expand the ground
There have been so many supposed sell outs this season but when you look around the ground the away end never seems full and the same for the big bank
A seat beside me has only been sat on twice this season
I did send the club and e mail but did not get any response
Think the club need to review and question why we never seem to at at full capacity
As has been explained several times, the capacity of the standing terraces has been reduced at the behest of the H&S people and the "Green Guide" which sets how many people you can have per square metre. Over-cautious, we all agree, but the club has no control over this. The Club has explained this in detail.

📝 St James Park Capacity - News - Exeter City FC

Also, some ST holders pay for seats they can rarely use as a contribution to Club finances; others may have health, work or other issues. Justin Quick said to the Trust AGM that the Club are working on a better system for fans who cannot attend to sell back their tickets for a particular game or games, to reduce the number of empty seats and improve revenue overall.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
That feels about right to me. And the difference between 8k and 10k financially is nowhere near enough to build a business case for a new stadium - even before you factor in all the stuff we would lose, like location, public transport, atmosphere, history…
At this moment there is no business case for a new stadium.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
We have been doing well recently, but there's no point in making decisions based on half a season of good ticket sales. If we have another two seasons where we sell out the majority of games then would be a good time for a discussion

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
As has been explained several times, the capacity of the standing terraces has been reduced at the behest of the H&S people and the "Green Guide" which sets how many people you can have per square metre. Over-cautious, we all agree, but the club has no control over this. The Club has explained this in detail.

📝 St James Park Capacity - News - Exeter City FC

Also, some ST holders pay for seats they can rarely use as a contribution to Club finances; others may have health, work or other issues. Justin Quick said to the Trust AGM that the Club are working on a better system for fans who cannot attend to sell back their tickets for a particular game or games, to reduce the number of empty seats and improve revenue overall.
Exactly so!! (y)

Average Joe

did we previously get offered a ground share with Exeter Rugby Club?

burtiew

Wash your mouth out ...

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think it was discussed, but this would never be viable option for us moving forward.