• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

St. James Park - Championship Ground

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the modern era (2004 onwards) only Burton Albion (6,912) have had a smaller capacity ground than us that have been in the Championship. The next two would be Yeovil Town (9,565) & Colchester United (10,105).

Burton Albion lasted 2 seasons
Colchester United lasting 2 seasons
Yeovil Town lasting 1 season
You forgot Scunthorpe. In the Championship 2006-2011. Ground capacity 9,008. Wouldn't mind a 5 year run like that....at least.

tom_ecfc

You forgot Scunthorpe. In the Championship 2006-2011. Ground capacity 9,008. Wouldn't mind a 5 year run like that....at least.
Martin, you and your statistical knowledge is just brilliant! 👍

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Martin, you and your statistical knowledge is just brilliant! 👍
Also, more recently, Wycombe, 1 season. Capacity 9588. 😉🙂

Thames Valley Red

You can move if you want Al but this fan ain't for moving.
agreed this end

Boyo

There is shedloads of room behind the selco right up to the car park area why would you need to buy any houses? And to point out the bleeding obvious we are hardly Liverpool able to afford a Compulsary Purchase of lived in housing :)
At the Big Bank end of the Selco / Flybe / Doble / Cowshed, there isn't so much space. I doubt we'd be able to build up to the rear wall of the flats in Stadium Way.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
With all these lesser capacity grounds, surely initially we would need just a bit of tweaking here and there to boost the capacity should it be needed and to meet H & S. Ultimate permanent changes could surely be done at the away end, joining the corners of the two seated stands, second tier etc. and also joining the Doble stand corner with the Big Bank could also add more in time. Whatever, because of who we are, and our financial position, anything that needs to done would have to be piecemeal and over time, but no doubt we could bolster our capacity by a couple of k with tweaks like these but at what costs, not just in build but off player budget, we're struggling to compete now in a league below and carrying on a major infrastructure project.

Would be nice though and surely to get to the championship has to be a goal!

SaintJames

At the Big Bank end of the Selco / Flybe / Doble / Cowshed, there isn't so much space. I doubt we'd be able to build up to the rear wall of the flats in Stadium Way.
you are right Boyo at the Big Bank end space is limited. I was referring to the other end where the footprint containing the existing St. James centre and through into the rear car park could potentially be utilised by re-allocating current executive boxes into a new and much larger hospitality and bar section with club offices instead of the current Centre Spot area. If the area where the current exec boxes are could be enabled to provide additional seats and possibly going a bit higher along the length of the existing Selco stand? I'm no engineer by the way but I think there is a way of reconfiguring the whole space we have more effectively

Leads

Ticket sales for the FGR game have got me thinking about ground capacity and if money was no object, what would be a sensible size for SJP. Exeter and the wider East Devon area is going to keep on growing and the appetite seems to be there, certainly for League One football anyway. Let's say for the Plymouth game in April, how good would it be if there were 12/13 thousand packed in, I'm sure that lot down the A38 could bring at least 3k and it would make for such a good atmosphere (hopefully). When games have sold out recently, have we any idea of how many tickets we cold have sold- is there any tangible way of assessing the demand?

I am aware of the constraints of the train line and that there doesn't seem to be a feasible way of increasing the overall capacity, but it just seems a shame that we can't ever have more than 8,000 in attendance. I wonder if it comes to a point where it does become worth looking at ways of expanding or if sub 8000 is our limit for the foreseeable (and maybe unforeseeable) future?

Memphis09

Ticket sales for the FGR game have got me thinking about ground capacity and if money was no object, what would be a sensible size for SJP. Exeter and the wider East Devon area is going to keep on growing and the appetite seems to be there, certainly for League One football anyway. Let's say for the Plymouth game in April, how good would it be if there were 12/13 thousand packed in, I'm sure that lot down the A38 could bring at least 3k and it would make for such a good atmosphere (hopefully). When games have sold out recently, have we any idea of how many tickets we cold have sold- is there any tangible way of assessing the demand?

I am aware of the constraints of the train line and that there doesn't seem to be a feasible way of increasing the overall capacity, but it just seems a shame that we can't ever have more than 8,000 in attendance. I wonder if it comes to a point where it does become worth looking at ways of expanding or if sub 8000 is our limit for the foreseeable (and maybe unforeseeable) future?
We definitely need to expand the ground
There have been so many supposed sell outs this season but when you look around the ground the away end never seems full and the same for the big bank
A seat beside me has only been sat on twice this season
I did send the club and e mail but did not get any response
Think the club need to review and question why we never seem to at at full capacity

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
A bigger tea hut on the Bank for a start...
If we have to fill it with seats there'll only be half the people to serve :(