• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City get a new CEO

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps Lionel is gnashing his teeth that he did not file an application ?
Well, it's interesting to ponder on whether the result would have been different if this had been a publically advertised post rather than announced as a fait accompli.

Fareham Grecian

I do find some Exewebbers difficult to understand. For god knows how long they (or a lot of them) have been complaining about lack of drive in the commercial department. Now that something has been done about it, then, that's not right either.
Stop complaining for goodness sake and give the chap time.
Amen to that.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Add also the two coaches. I would wager a small sum that we have the highest football management costs of any club our size (average gate less than 4,500, Club turnover less than £3.5m).
Also a vast percentage of that turnover comes from our so called commercial team doing very little, i.e. gate receipts, TV money, prize money etc etc, does anyone have a rough breakdown of the revenue we derive from gate receipts etc ?

The suit to turnover ratio must be shocking when you actually do the above breakdown.

I know plenty of one man band sole traders who turnover a few hundred grand solely off of their own backs, if you were to breakdown what each of our better paid off field team bring to the table I reckon it would make for shocking reading.

I don't have a problem with a new CEO however cuts need to be made elsewhere.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Well, it's interesting to ponder on whether the result would have been different if this had been a publically advertised post rather than announced as a fait accompli.
IIRC the processes of Norrie's appointment and the Tagg succession left much to be desired. There is a pattern here.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit...
...but better than no wit at all ;)

elginCity

I know plenty of one man band sole traders who turnover a few hundred grand solely off of their own backs.
Quite easily achieved in the building game, for instance, with the cost of materials being what they are. Profit ain't all that though.

Other than attend Board meetings, what does a salaried Chief Executive Football do 'day to day', that a salaried Director of Football couldn't?

Phil Sayers

IIRC the processes of Norrie's appointment and the Tagg succession left much to be desired. There is a pattern here.
I was just about to mention Norrie myself and the reason is that I hope the pattern doesn't get repeated. By pattern I mean the Exeweb pattern whereby there was quite legitimate criticism of the manner in which he was appointed followed by completely illegitimate, unsubstantiated attacks on his salary and role throughout his time here. A couple of internet ****s got the bit between their teeth and fabricated a lot of bull**** and too many sheep unquestioningly followed them.

Those same ****s then rewrote history when he left to say what a pity it was that he was gone and how badly we were missing him. I suspect they were more likely right with their revised position but the message really is that I hope morons don't start saying things like this new guy is on 12 million quid a year with two tubs of ice cream thrown in for doing no work at all but given that is almost certainly going to happen I hope the wider Exeweb readership doesn't blindly believe them again.

Last edited:

Edward

Let's hope he has the necessary presence to impose substantial change on the commercial operation.

Most incoming CEO's look at cutting cost as the most immediate way to achieve some improvement to the bottom line. He will probably see some opportunities there! Growing a business is tougher and virtually impossible if all the incumbents responsible for the current malaise remain in post. Changing the culture will be difficult particularly as there have been no departures. Yet.

And I would be thinking that Mr Henderson would be well advised to spend a little less time in the pub/court.

Fingers crossed this chap also has the necessary experience to understand the importance of working for shareholders. That said, he has no prior experience at Director level so he may need to learn quickly.

Ian Sideman

Anyone know who was on the recruitment panel?

CWH-NYC_

After goal line review, I think I fall into "give the chap a chance" camp. Not convinced re credentials and also have concerns over the process.