• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Were you better known as 'Mr Happy' in another life OR are you related to ******** genetically?
You mean you can't see the humour in the post?

You're not Scottish are you? I wouldn't wanna be accused of being selectively insulting..

RobG

Thanks for email address

Pete Martin (CTID)

Just for the sake of information and interest and to add a counter to the various minor civil wars on this thread HERE is a link to an example of the likely general type and arrangement of accommodation that we may be looking at at SJP if all goes "according to plan"

This is the relatively new "Birks Grange Village" in New North Road and, as Rightwing has already suggested, maybe we could be looking at "St. James Village" or even ""Grecian Village".

Last edited:

Roy Hodgson

Exciting stuff. Good to see some progress and let us hope we can get residents and the councils on board and in support.

Pity that 2 individuals (******** and Malcolms) have sought to patronise or insult contributors and ruining any intelligent discussion on this important matter.

PeteUSA

I can see the residents fighting this 'flats' proposal tooth and Nail. Many are already ****** off that the streets around St James Park i.e. Oxford Road has been turned into bedsit-land or student accomodation. They are probably already upset at rowdy students walking past their windows like Well Street, where there are no front gardens, or people spewing or ******* over their garden walls where there are.

I think the problem is that there are no decent access roads to St James Park except Sidwell Street. All the other options are narrow and totally residential, like Oxford Road, Well Street, St James Road, and the abundance of terrace houses running down from Union Road, like Victoria Street, Springfield Road and the like. All houses in that area have no front gardens and their front door is directly onto the pavement. Good luck with the plan, but I think the biggest hurdle will be pursuading the residents that its a good idea since they'll deduce that theres nothing in it for them.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
...Get me Samuel Johnson on the telephone.
Getting Doctor Johnson would be totally hypastillious exercise ;)

Pete Martin (CTID)

• As I understand it there is no intention to provide any parking for the student accommodation, other than a few service, delivery and drop-off points. New students at EU are encouraged not to bring cars to Exeter and I think it may even be a formal requirement of the Uni that they don'
Above from an earlier posting on this thread;

Having since investigated further, the actual policy of the university is:-

Parking

All students who live in the City are advised that they will not be able to park cars on the campus and they are advised not to bring cars to the City. If students do bring cars and they park them in contravention of residents parking and waiting restriction offences (including yellow lines) they will be dealt with by ‘Civil Parking Enforcement Offi cers’ employed by the City Council.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I can see the residents fighting this 'flats' proposal tooth and Nail......
That really has to be one of the most negative and prejudiced postings I have read on here for a long time. I don't know how long is is since you last spent a night in Exeter but much of the drunken (mis)behaviour that occurs around the city is not that of students, but local people.

From 3 years sgo.....

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/community/pdfs/StreetWise_Nov08.pdf

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Question 6 on the feedback form seems to have been laid out in a strange way. You could answer yes, for example, to a), b) and c). :)

Antony Moxey

I don't suppose there are any plans to clear under the Big Bank for a social area?
You can't. The old Big Bank remains - minus the crush barriers - with the new BB build directly over the top with the foundation piles going straight through the old terracing. I would assume you'd have to demolish the whole lot and start again if you wanted space under the BB. Well, space bigger than the six foot or so headroom that exists at the top of the stand and tapers down to the front - the rake of the new stand is steeper than the old one.