• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
However, I do have a few questions and as I am unable to get to the exhibition, I would be glad if someone who is 'in the know' could answer them please:

1) There seems to be a lack of car parking space... if 500 flats are to be built and say, for arguments sake, one on five has a car, where would they park? I presume car parking would be under the flats? and on of matchdays, what are the plans?

2) The demolition of the St James' centre would lead to the loss of the centre spot, red square and other bars. Where would these bars be relocated to? I presume our present hospitality offerings would be incorportated into a new stand on the OG side, but what about the bars for the ordinary matchday going fan?
  • As I understand it there is no intention to provide any parking for the student accommodation, other than a few service, delivery and drop-off points. New students at EU are encouraged not to bring cars to Exeter and I think it may even be a formal requirement of the Uni that they don't. If you look at the student accommodation both on the old Elmfield Nurseries site opposite Prince of Wales road and the even newer blocks down by Johnson's dry cleaners in New North Road you will see they have next-to-no parking on site.

At the moment there are approximately 88 parking spaces at SJP and the plans are for that to remain virtually the same. Being a city centre site with a short walk to buses, a train station next door and plenty of city centre paid parking, there is just no need for lots of parking. This both ticks the "sustainable development" box in terms of planning policy and helps to mollify the opinion of local residents in terms of traffc impact on the local road network.

• Of course there will be facilities for the ordinary match-going fan (and substantially upgraded from the current offering). The plan would be anyway to make the facilities attractive enough to encourage those matchday patrons to use the facilities on other than matchdays. Every avenue to generate income for the club is being and will be considered. Please remember that this is a consultation and not a final design that will be sumitted for planning permission. All of the elements will be in the final proposal but the detail could be different from what is being displayed now, as a result of comments from the council, local people and supporters. That is the whole point of the consultation.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Any ideas of the number of places for wheelchairs in the 2 new stands?

David Treharne

Pete Martin wrote: At the moment there are approximately 88 parking spaces at SJP and the plans are for that to remain virtually the same. Being a city centre site with a short walk to buses, a train station next door and plenty of city centre paid parking, there is just no need for lots of parking. This both ticks the "sustainable development" box in terms of planning policy and helps to mollify the opinion of local residents in terms of traffc impact on the local road network.

One of the current aims of the St James Forum (which is a group of residents who are looking to regenerate the St James Ward) is to try to get planning permission to extend both platforms at St James Park. They suggest that with the building of the Cranbrook development, and the two new stations that are planned for the Exmouth line (plus another platform at Exmouth station) useage of the station outside match days as well as on match days themselves should increase. These plans also include a plan for a new entrance to the "Up" platform from Powderham Crescent. However, talking to Network rail is problem filled at the best of times - and the intention of FGR to terminate its franchise early has made this process even more tricky.
However, as Pete has mentioned in his post SJP is well served with other public transport, as well as parking within easy walking distance. It'll be interesting to see what restrictions are placed on parking in higher Pennsylvania as the intended residents parking scheme is rolled out- there's a groundswell of support in the S4 parking area to get the residents parking extended to Saturdays as well as weekdays.

Last edited:

greenawayr

Wheel invented !

So talk to the div that linked it and started the thread.
Does that make it the clubs, echo's or suits fault as that seems to be what you're implying?

I'm easily confused when it comes to understanding exactly what your beef is Poults.

It's information in the public domain, which many on here have been calling for for some time.

greenawayr

I'm shocked to discover that Exeweb is not the centre of the universe for Exonians.
Yep, we've developed M25 syndrome on here people. But I won't produce facts as the mental shock has been known to kill Exewebbers, or at least leave them a neurotic mess!

greenawayr

In fact much of Ralph's post was real news, perhaps the club or the Trust might like to give him a try out doing their comms.
Ah got it, and yep, agree.

<shudder>

greenawayr

No, but I think the original meant getting close to the fans for the banter.
For "banter" read swearing and hand gestures!

After all, when we actually get an away team with fans who have a voice they can generally be heard as far away as the Big Bank!

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm easily confused when it comes to understanding exactly what your beef is Poults..
He's the site contrarian, you don't always need a genuine beef for that role.

Would be extremely dull on here without it.

greenawayr

It's your gig, nailed on judging by this thread... Although your more recent posts today have been a bit more useful.

Serious question then: If the plans go ahead and it all works out eventually and they please even you, will you come to SJP and watch football? Is the club now being run in a manner that would attract you to the City for beers and footy?
Not till they stop playing music after goals and have ample supplies of Bovril.

...or his Daggers get an away draw in the cup!

greenawayr

..and Exeter Uni plans to have 4,000 non-EU students by 2014-15.

In the UK as a whole, there's been a nigh on 30% increase in Chinese students alone this past year, and numbers look only likely to increase as many more look to travel and learn beyond SE Asia, now they can afford to and are allowed to.

I'm starting to feel a little more bullish about these plans, seems there's a strong case for building these student flats after all.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1377083/Universities-trigger-foreign-student-boom.html

Good luck RW et al. [y]
Get ourselves a token Chinese, Japanese or Korean footballer, even if just bench warming and we'll be looking at a full house of screaming Asian supporters in no time at all. Not entirely sure that would sit too well with the "regulars"!