• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Call me an old traditionalist but I still prefer Samuel Johnson's work to the Oxford, perhaps I could recommend it to you...
That, Sir, is a quality reposte. Whilst not having read Mr Johnsons original work - but many interesting articles about it - I'd be inclined to replace the word 'traditionalist' with 'quite eccentric'. Anything, however, is worthwhile over Noah Webster ... :)

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
That really has to be one of the most negative and prejudiced postings I have read on here for a long time. I don't know how long is is since you last spent a night in Exeter but much of the drunken (mis)behaviour that occurs around the city is not that of students, but local people.

From 3 years sgo.....

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/community/pdfs/StreetWise_Nov08.pdf
I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic. While people are asking questions on here about how many disabled bays there will be, or will there be a lighted scoreboard, I think the biggest hurdle will be pursuading the local residents.

I cant see anything on the 2008 University link you provided that suggests anything other than the students are the topic of discussion regarding policing.

Pete Martin (CTID)

......I think the biggest hurdle will be pursuading the local residents.
I think most of us with an ounce of common appreciate and understand that Pete, not least of all those driving the project within the club.

Not that I want to suggest it will necessarily happen and the fervent wish and hope is that the majority of the local residents can be persuaded, if not to actively support it then to abstain, there have been cases in the past where substantial local opinion has been considered secondary by the council where a proposed development is seen to have wider benfits to the city and its economy.

I honestly think that the ability of the scheme to satisfy the "rules" of national and local planning policy is a bigger hurdle.

Poultice

Didn't Argyle redevelop three sides of Home Park without offices, conference/function facilities, parking, enhanced retailing if the club needed it and some space for the chattering tw*ts to make their generally inane input?
Sorry, is the combined media fraternity putting up most recent custodians of the Gnome Park as role models for us ?

Antony Moxey

Hmmmmm

Did I read somewhere though that the groundsman's equipment (stop giggling!) would be kept under the BB?
It's being kept under the Flybe at the moment, in the area that was originally going to be the toilets and, I believe, a disabled access.

Antony Moxey

Sorry, is the combined media fraternity putting up most recent custodians of the Gnome Park as role models for us ?
No, I don't think it is. I think the point referred to is that your summation on recent ground designs is wrong and that Plymouth's ground was cited as an example of where you were wrong.

Antony Moxey

think the biggest hurdle will be pursuading the local residents.
Err, and? The biggest hurdle is always local residents.

Poultice

No, I don't think it is. I think the point referred to is that your summation on recent ground designs is wrong and that Plymouth's ground was cited as an example of where you were wrong.
I think it is more a case that they intended to include all of the facilities I suggested were de rigueur, in the bit they never got around to doing. So not much wrong, as not yet proven to be right.

LOG

I'll ask the same question for the third time. What is the access to the flats behind the Big Bank? Is it Stadium Way?

I like the look of the plans, who wouldn't, but they are just pictures and talk at the moment.

Far too many unknowns to start getting excited yet.

I'll ask the same question for the third time. What is the access to the flats behind the Big Bank? Is it Stadium Way?
Well of course it is, where else?