• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

'BIG' news tomorrow

Chuckles

Should this thread be re-titled?

"BIG" news yesterday

THREAD CLOSED

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
All looks bloody brilliant. Not quite having time to read all 347 other posts, is there any indication of the timescale given or implied?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All looks bloody brilliant. Not quite having time to read all 347 other posts, is there any indication of the timescale given or implied?
2 years I believe. Though not sure what will be achieved in 2 years though.

Edward

I think there are three major hurdles:

1. Securing a lease agreement with the Council which allows the club to take the full benefit of the enabling development ie. they get the ground developed at no charge.

2. Planning permission.

3. Finding a partner/developer who regards £14,000 per bed space (£7m divided by 500 students) an attractive proposition especially if planning reduces the scale of the project.

As Mr Treharne has posted, there are plenty of other student housing developments being undertaken nearby and I would be bloody amazed if the cost for the land is anything close to £14k per bed space.

As the University confirmed its direct involvement or is the more likely partner a provider of student accommodation such as Unite? Or has the club yet to enter into any preliminay discussions with partners?

One would presume that the costs incurred to date (architect fees etc) would have been shared with others who stand to benefit from the scheme.

Perhaps Rightwing could respond?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If you want to catch up with it on Spotlight, then go to 20:55 on this link, or to 19:30 if you also want to pick up the story on the fixtures list that immediately precedes the stadium story

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b011w6tm/Spotlight_17_06_2011/

No that there is much to it! I'd hoped they'd show the exhibition. :(

Last edited:

Forever7

On the whole, I am impressed by what I have seen and the plans seem tp be well thought out and viable. There seems scope for developers to make money and if it all comes to fruition, I would imagine someone like Bargain Booze would snap your hands off at the chance to rent the shop space in Well Street/St James' Road. However, I do have a few questions and as I am unable to get to the exhibition, I would be glad if someone who is 'in the know' could answer them please:

1) There seems to be a lack of car parking space... if 500 flats are to be built and say, for arguments sake, one on five has a car, where would they park? I presume car parking would be under the flats? and on of matchdays, what are the plans?

2) The demolition of the St James' centre would lead to the loss of the centre spot, red square and other bars. Where would these bars be relocated to? I presume our present hospitality offerings would be incorportated into a new stand on the OG side, but what about the bars for the ordinary matchday going fan?

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
1) There seems to be a lack of car parking space... if 500 flats are to be built and say, for arguments sake, one on five has a car, where would they park? I presume car parking would be under the flats? and on of matchdays, what are the plans?
The recent student flats built on Bonhay Rd & Cowley Bridge Rd did not have any provision provided for parking,so i assume it would be the same at SJP....Planners think all students walk or ride a bike..:D...

Red Nose

Re: !!!

Sorry I was NOT, repeat NOT at the exhibition yesterday, and this was not, and would not have been my opinion. The City Councillors were only shown the scheme on Thursday night for the first time, so have hardly had time to form an 'informed' opinion. The whole scheme has been laid out in such a way (after initial consultation with planning officers) that it will minimise objections e.g. the highest blocks are set furthest away from any other housing, and where blocks are set within the prescribed limits for adjacent housing then even those sides facing that adjacent development do not have windows on those sides.

I know from my own personal building development experience that the prescribed minimum distance window to window is 21 metres. We are well within those limits even though we still do not have windows in that position. In any case the blocks behind the Big Bank are either next to industrial land or the railway.

As I said yeterday I am 'on duty' from noon until 3.00pm today and available to help with queries.
Apologies RW. Someone was talking very authoritively about the scheme and I made the assumption that it was you. Did the planning officers reccommend a maximum of 6 stories then?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've just read the Echo and because I can't be bothered to read all of this thread I have a question. Will there be a curved corner next to the away end, like Argyle have?
The bit between the Doble and the new away end does not appear to be filled in. But the corner between the away end and the new grandstand does appear to be filled in.

Does any one if the plans will allow flexibility to expand the home fans in to the away end when needed (e.g. big game for City low away support)?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
2) The demolition of the St James' centre would lead to the loss of the centre spot, red square and other bars.
I was wondering about that. One of the benefits of these being outside of the ground is you can meet up with friends there, irrespective of what stands they watch the game in.

I don't suppose there are any plans to clear under the Big Bank for a social area?