• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

scottus86

Matt Taylor has saved his own job by signing just the right players we needed, even when lot's of us ( me included) doubted those signings.

Brown and Dieng being the two really stand out players who I doubted would be what we needed.

ExmouthMart

Agreed but I wouldn't compare anyone with his predecessor, no-one else in football has that combination of arrogance and elliptical BS.
No one else in football?!……. This must have been a side of him that the majority of us didn’t see. He seemed to be very popular at one time and was very successful. The problem seems to be with the consequences of that initial success and the fall out from not being able to deal with it. If we are promoted this season there is a very real chance Matt Taylor could move on. It’s often quoted that he’s very ambitious and will want to prove himself at a bigger club if the opportunity comes along.
It just seems very disrespectful to Paul Tisdale to write him off as an arrogant twit. I’m sure Matt Taylor himself would be the first to praise the part Tisdale has played in his development as a Coach and now a Manager.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
No one else in football?!……. This must have been a side of him that the majority of us didn’t see. He seemed to be very popular at one time and was very successful. The problem seems to be with the consequences of that initial success and the fall out from not being able to deal with it. If we are promoted this season there is a very real chance Matt Taylor could move on. It’s often quoted that he’s very ambitious and will want to prove himself at a bigger club if the opportunity comes along.
It just seems very disrespectful to Paul Tisdale to write him off as an arrogant twit. I’m sure Matt Taylor himself would be the first to praise the part Tisdale has played in his development as a Coach and now a Manager.
I totally agree and I wonder what a manager has to do for JW to like them? I think its daft, all this putting down of Tisdale and it starts looking like attempts to rewrite history. Has there been an Exeter city manager who has achieved two successive promotions? Yes? Oh, sorry it happens to be Tis, a bit awkward I know! Yes there were negatives after those glorious seasons but screw having those uppermost to think about.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And as a player!

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I totally agree and I wonder what a manager has to do for JW to like them? I think its daft, all this putting down of Tisdale and it starts looking like attempts to rewrite history. Has there been an Exeter city manager who has achieved two successive promotions? Yes? Oh, sorry it happens to be Tis, a bit awkward I know! Yes there were negatives after those glorious seasons but screw having those uppermost to think about.
No-one is attempting to rewrite history. His record at City speaks for itself.

As I have said elsewhere many times, I did like Tis, and had some interesting conversations with him over the years.

And in any case my comment did not refer to his record at ECFC, I was referring to his style of speaking and engagement with fans and the media (and his reaction to the contract issue). He could be charm personified, but also could be very dismissive.

Colesman Ballz

Returning to KMT, he has really shoved the original post on this thread right up where "the sun doesn't shine" ! His league record so far this season is a 50% win ratio, 35% draw, and just 15% loss. He has ignited the fanbase to the extent that we are heading to a sold out SJP against lowly Colchester FFS ! Personally at this moment in time, I am not interested in reading "wittering on" comments about former managers whoever they might be. This is KMT's "time", let's just soak it up and enjoy it ! :)

jimbo-gould

In terms of Taylor‘s job, I wasn’t convinced about it because I felt he had no Plan B. I’ve definitely been proven wrong this season on that as I feel his game management has been excellent this year. I feel he is a little bit too honest at times, but for those to be my only qualms then I think that is very very good going.

DB9

Returning to KMT, he has really shoved the original post on this thread right up where "the sun doesn't shine" ! His league record so far this season is a 50% win ratio, 35% draw, and just 15% loss. He has ignited the fanbase to the extent that we are heading to a sold out SJP against lowly Colchester FFS ! Personally at this moment in time, I am not interested in reading "wittering on" comments about former managers whoever they might be. This is KMT's "time", let's just soak it up and enjoy it ! :)
Please don't tell Dommers this. :)

tonykellowfan

In terms of Taylor‘s job, I wasn’t convinced about it because I felt he had no Plan B. I’ve definitely been proven wrong this season on that as I feel his game management has been excellent this year. I feel he is a little bit too honest at times, but for those to be my only qualms then I think that is very very good going.
It's almost as if he has improved over time, who knew that people can learn as they go?

jimbo-gould

It's almost as if he has improved over time, who knew that people can learn as they go?
Well yes. But don’t make it sound as if it was going to be a given. Some people overtime get worse or they don’t learn at all.