• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Will Covid save Matt Taylor’s job?

tonykellowfan

Fortunately the club are willing in to invest time in both the coaching and playing staff.

jimbo-gould

Fortunately the club are willing in to invest time in both the coaching and playing staff.
Absolutely, yes. But people have a ceiling that is sometimes reached no matter the time and investment.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps we should name and shame those Exewebbers who doubted King Matt.
I doubted him. If I'm honest, I still doubt him now and again. Any deviation from our Plan A doesn't bear fruit and we have to revert back to it.

I can't fault some of his recruitment but he really needs to sort out striking options if we want to stay up (if we go up).

But I don't doubt he's the best man for the job right now and when others were calling for his head if we didn't get promoted last season I said he deserves more time. I posted this in September 2020.

Taylor talks a good game. The general consensus is that he is very honest in post-match interviews and I don't disagree. He'll regularly call out the failings which most of us can see - the obvious one being that we don't convert enough of the chances we create.

He has yet to prove to me that he can solve this conundrum and for me the jury is still out.

However, to call for him to be dismissed if we aren't promoted this year, especially at this time when his hands are tied in recruitment terms, is total nonsense. I'd like to see him given another three seasons before a judgement can be made...So Another three seasons. Even if we went down I'd not get rid.
The Carlisle game alone proves we still need to be better at converting chances. However at the other end we look solid as I've ever seen us. So praise where it's due there - he's now got that right.

Let's hope the club have some budget in reserve for next season if we do finally step up.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Happy to be named. Can't argue about the league position and results but still don't like the bloke and probably never will.
Very strange comment.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Happy to be named. Can't argue about the league position and results but still don't like the bloke and probably never will.
If you cant enjoy being an Exeter City fan now I would sincerely suggest you are 'supporting' the wrong club. Not really sure anyone could fathom out your motives as I would be pretty sure even Tiz himself would see his successor as doing a first class job

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you cant enjoy being an Exeter City fan now I would sincerely suggest you are 'supporting' the wrong club. Not really sure anyone could fathom out your motives as I would be pretty sure even Tiz himself would see his successor as doing a first class job
It's not just that he's doing a first class job but that he's doing it with such decency. As the boys on the Big Bank Theory podcast said recently - you know you're never going to be embarrassed by Matt Taylor; there are a lot of fans who can't say that about their manager.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
No-one is attempting to rewrite history. His record at City speaks for itself.

As I have said elsewhere many times, I did like Tis, and had some interesting conversations with him over the years.

And in any case my comment did not refer to his record at ECFC, I was referring to his style of speaking and engagement with fans and the media (and his reaction to the contract issue). He could be charm personified, but also could be very dismissive.
This.

While I have his signed Number 17 shirt on my office wall, and I am proud to have it there, I cannot forget or forgive his appalling treatment of a fan who asked an entirely reasonable question at a fan’s forum.

geoffwp

This.

While I have his signed Number 17 shirt on my office wall, and I am proud to have it there, I cannot forget or forgive his appalling treatment of a fan who asked an entirely reasonable question at a fan’s forum.
Was it entirely reasonable Al? Genuine question here as I seem to recall it being a definite dig at the manager but I'm not trusting my memory.

Alistair20000

Was it entirely reasonable Al? Genuine question here as I seem to recall it being a definite dig at the manager but I'm not trusting my memory.
If it was the same occasion we are talking about it was an entirely reasonable question.

geoffwp

I totally agree and I wonder what a manager has to do for JW to like them?
Oh, and I totally withdraw this comment, apologies JW. I was actually thinking about Dommers comment on Matt Taylor when I wrote it.