• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Three weeks until the window opens, with the last window closing after very little activity and some disappointed with a lack of a striker and querying where the goals were going to come from, however goals scoring goals hasn't been a problem it's the letting in of them which has especially as in the last window we allegedly strengthened our defence!

So with the new window opening soon and a bit of money in the bank what do people think we need to strengthen our team to get promoted and whether the signing should be loan or permanent bearing in mind some of the 'marquee' signings we have made which haven't come up to scratch and we are tied to them for x seasons.

Personally I would like to see the following signings
-Goalkeeper on loan until the end of the season from a championship or above club someone like the Iceman
- Central Defender, this to me is the most important area whilst we have 5/6 permanent ones they all appear somewhat Juggernautish, so I would like to see another loan signing here (or two) of someone with a bit of pace and an ability to head the ball and isn't afraid to attack the ball both defensively and attacking similar to McArdle in his prime (but not now)
- Striker to challenge and compete with Bowman for the starting spot. We have seen too many chances go to waste despite our impressive goal scoring record and we need someone up front who can put these opportunities away. Sign on an initial 18 months with a review at the end of the season to extend if they have proved their worth

We have been unfortunate/fortunate with the injuries suffered by Page and Caprice but this has enabled both Sparkes and Key to come to the fore and be serious challengers for the wing back roles, hopefully in the second half of the season both Page and Caprice will get more game time to show their worth

In midfield we appear to be well covered and perhaps have suffered a little bit with Nigel being injured/unavailable for most of the season as well as Nicky Law, however in the case of Nicky Law this has enabled MJ to shine and he is flourishing in sustain first team appearances. Taylor and Collins have performed adequately so far.

AT the end of the last window there was the speculation of Williams leaving to a Championship club, on current form this won't be happening and if Caprice is fit Randel is the one I would drop with Key pushing further forward ahead of Caprice, likewise on the left flank if Page is fit Sparkes would be my preference to drop with Randall and Page working the left. There was also speculation about two players who Matt advised weren't in his long term plans and this could be an opportunity to offload them, although if they are the ones we believe there is little chance and we may have to wait until their contracts run out.

Whilst we also have a number of quality youngsters coming through with the likes of Kite Dean Dyer etc they are not quite there yet to bolster a promotion push, and will continue to make cameo appearances this season hopefully to make an impact next year. With regards to Seymour I would farm him out on loan for a month at a time (if possible) to enable him to get some confidence and movement to see if there is an EFL player in there.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me the only area I would possibly strengthen is centre-half but I would rather see Dyer given a go first.

ryancooper327

Need a decent centre half but it won’t happen. We won’t spend money and a loan would surely take too long to embed.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Jordan Storey seems to be spending much of this season gathering splinters on the Deepdale bench.
Worth a loan sniff to give him some much needed match practice (and us a bit of defensive stability)?

Ash

Jordan Storey seems to be spending much of this season gathering splinters on the Deepdale bench.
Worth a loan sniff to give him some much needed match practice (and us a bit of defensive stability)?
In our dreams maybe, but in the real.world this is clearly never going to happen.
A centre back and a goalkeeper are the priorities. If we sign one of each I'll be satisfied. Loan or permanent signing matters very little IMHO, the important thing is that they are able to come into the squad and make a difference immediately.

Rosencrantz

If Ward in nearing fitness then a goalkeeper will not be needed or at least not a priority. A right sided centre back in a Dara O'Shea mould would be ideal if there is someone attainable with those qualities. In midfield and attacking roles it depends on availability and value if someone really stands out. Also to be answered will be if there is any more interest in Williams with little left on his contract.

On the whole though I feel a more settled defence and a chance to work it out together to cut out the defensive lapses is most important. It is clear that as a team and squad we are in a good position. Tweaks only.

Ash

If Ward in nearing fitness then a goalkeeper will not be needed or at least not a priority. A right sided centre back in a Dara O'Shea mould would be ideal if there is someone attainable with those qualities. In midfield and attacking roles it depends on availability and value if someone really stands out. Also to be answered will be if there is any more interest in Williams with little left on his contract.

On the whole though I feel a more settled defence and a chance to work it out together to cut out the defensive lapses is most important. It is clear that as a team and squad we are in a good position. Tweaks only.
Ward has had injury problems throughout his time with us. Even if he is fit, we should be looking to bring in a loan signing. We can't be left in the position of having to play Jonny, or worse still having neither available. Jokull if at all possible, but we should ensure that we get someone.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
No way will we sign a keeper. I don’t get the hate on here for Maxted. He’s more than capable and Ward will be back soon. Yes he’s had injuries but both were a bit freakish so no reason why he can’t stay fit.

For me, the only signing I can see is a CB but as someone else said, a loan would take some time to bed in. I’d love Storey but I highly doubt that’s an option.

Taylor’s said he’s asked for funds, so I do expect some January action, but it’s a tricky month to bring in players who make a huge impact.

Grecian Max

I'm pretty convinced we will sign a CB and a forward.

Ash

No way will we sign a keeper. I don’t get the hate on here for Maxted. He’s more than capable and Ward will be back soon. Yes he’s had injuries but both were a bit freakish so no reason why he can’t stay fit.

For me, the only signing I can see is a CB but as someone else said, a loan would take some time to bed in. I’d love Storey but I highly doubt that’s an option.

Taylor’s said he’s asked for funds, so I do expect some January action, but it’s a tricky month to bring in players who make a huge impact.
There is no hate for Jonny, simply a recognition that since his return from injury, he's looked really poor. It's certainly possible that his form will return and he will once again look like an adequate league two stopper. If that doesn't happen, we'd be in serious trouble if for the rest of the season we had to deal with the standard of goalkeeping we've had in the last two games. This is the second season we've had Ward & Maxted as our two goalkeeping options. And the second season we've been forced to find emergency cover as both have been injured at the same time. Based on that, the chances of it happening again don't seem all that remote and goalkeeping cover would surely be prudent?