• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Greasy has ordered for Abdulai Bell-Baggie to be written on the back of his ECFC shirt.

;)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
A few people have mentioned we should sign a striker. What style of striker would we sign and who are we dropping?
Someone with real pace and a bit of muscle.

Boyo

As I said in my OP I would like one that would challenge Bowman for the starting position and that will fit into our style of play and can finish off the numerous opportunities that are presented to them, so effectively a goal efficient Bowman type player. Not an Ajose or similar as at the moment we have sufficient smaller skillful players to work off the forward strengths. Fisher isn't aggressive enough or fast enough
Do we know how much we paid for Bowman? I know it was 'undisclosed' at the time. A striker as you describe would have to come from the lower leagues and would likely costs a fair chunk of cash.

IndoMike

It's a sad state of affairs if people think we need a GK considering we did have good competition between Maxted and Ward plus there are a couple of promising youngsters in the wings. Six months ago IIRC we were happy with our goalie situation

Coppers

I know we want to progress but I'm surprised there is any talk of signing players with the year we've had. I would have thought we would just see how we get on with what we've got.

Grecian Max

I know we want to progress but I'm surprised there is any talk of signing players with the year we've had. I would have thought we would just see how we get on with what we've got.
Think about it - full crowds back in 2021/22.

The likes of Charlton, Pompey, Ipswich, Derby, Wednesday plus Argyle, Rovers and Swindon. Our average gate could push 6,000 with that lot and a half decent season.

We have a great team, if a CB and forward get us over the line its well worth it and its not even much of a gamble.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Taylor seems interested, but it will only be if the right deal is forthcoming .I can't see us getting a striker in who will accept being Bowman's stand in,unless it's from the lower leagues.Another centre back will be an admission of failure from Taylor that he got his summer spending wrong with McArdle ,but he is honest enough to do that.
Not sure it would be an admission of failure, more an admission that if he'd had a bigger budget in the summer then he may not have signed McArdle.

AmberRed

Ward has had injury problems throughout his time with us. Even if he is fit, we should be looking to bring in a loan signing. We can't be left in the position of having to play Jonny, or worse still having neither available. Jokull if at all possible, but we should ensure that we get someone.
Jokull is a good young keeper, however his distribution was horrendous and he let a couple of soft goals in! Jenny's distribution is 100 times better!

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure it would be an admission of failure, more an admission that if he'd had a bigger budget in the summer then he may not have signed McArdle.
Don't know how much he had to spend,what he thought we needed to replace Martin and Moxey or who wanted to play for us last summer ,so can't answer that.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have 4 million burning a hole in our pocket, an end to Covid hopefully in sight and a team with the potential to challenge for promotion. Therefore, I'm not surprised that there are calls for the club to invest in a couple of players, even if, personally, I'd prefer to keep giving our youngsters a chance first.