• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Window - What do we need - Buy or Loan

JCWhoosh

It hasn't been our issue because of him. Compare and contrast him to Lee Martin last season and suddenly you'll realise what the difference is.................. MJ is scoring and creating the goals whereas Lee Martin couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo or pass the banjo on for somebody else to do it despite playing exactly the same role.
I totally agree. MJ is a huge upgrade to Lee Martin in that position. I just feel Collins pushing in to the number 10 role would suit too and allow a stronger midfield with Atangana and MT behind. I'm not saying I would want MJ to go but if we get a decent offer with the promise of funds going to the defence then I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't considered. I guess its paper talk anyway.

ChardGrecian

Why would Matt or any of our young players want to go to Northampton or any other league 1 or 2 club?
With all the financial problems caused by Covid-19 surely it would seem more sensible for their careers to stay where they will play and know they will get paid.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
But what would be a decent offer for him? Got to be worth our while as no point in disturbing the team otherwise.

JCWhoosh

But what would be a decent offer for him? Got to be worth our while as no point in disturbing the team otherwise.

Spoonz Red E

If we sell Matt Jay we should ask for the development money for the prototypes from Matt A to Matt I.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
If we sell Matt Jay we should ask for the development money for the prototypes from Matt A to Matt I.
Cue "Men in Black" memes... Will Smith was Agent J.

grecIAN Harris

I totally agree. MJ is a huge upgrade to Lee Martin in that position. I just feel Collins pushing in to the number 10 role would suit too and allow a stronger midfield with Atangana and MT behind. I'm not saying I would want MJ to go but if we get a decent offer with the promise of funds going to the defence then I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't considered. I guess its paper talk anyway.
Archie Collins is a midfielder. He has an eye for pass and a tackle, can bang the occasional 25 harder in but he isn't a withdrawn striker as Matt Jay is. You might just as well have kept Lee Martin to play there as push Archie Collins into that role. I don't get the obsession of people on here who always think our, and I say 'our' as our kids that come through, midfielders should be pushed into playing the 10 role. People wanted to do the same with Grimes when he was better playing deeper where he could use his range of passing more fully.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Archie Collins is a midfielder. He has an eye for pass and a tackle, can bang the occasional 25 harder in but he isn't a withdrawn striker as Matt Jay is. You might just as well have kept Lee Martin to play there as push Archie Collins into that role. I don't get the obsession of people on here who always think our, and I say 'our' as our kids that come through, midfielders should be pushed into playing the 10 role. People wanted to do the same with Grimes when he was better playing deeper where he could use his range of passing more fully.
Agreed. Archie is a decent ball player and can run all day. Covers good ground defensively too. Can't see him suiting a no 10 role.

andrew p long

Agreed. Archie is a decent ball player and can run all day. Covers good ground defensively too. Can't see him suiting a no 10 role.
Agreed. In our 4-2-3-1 set up, I could see Archie benefitting from being the slightly more advanced one of the 2. ie alongside someone more like Atangana than Taylor. But not as a number 10.

Red Devon

Third choice Reading keeper Sam Walker out on an emergency loan at Blackpool for a week...at 29 could be a good loan choice for us if MT wants to strengthen the goalkeeping position as was suggested a few days ago.