• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Simply, the Curley Cobblers started on the front foot, City on the back foot, with nobody in red and white able to wrest control of the game.

It's been said already, we should have played to our strengths, not tried to nullify theirs, a tactical error.
We were always going to be second rate in the strong arm handicap, think Deano's lunge was his attempt to impose himself in that department and he just made a **** of himself and took away any chance that we might have had. Shame as we had just started to wrest a bit of control of the game and were making Northampton think a bit.

Dannyred

Which adverts?
The ones on the electric board pitchside

dontpassback

Having a good night's sleep doesn't cure the disappointment of last night. I still can't believe just how bad the team were and how we could not compete anywhere on the pitch. Feel angry and let down.
Totally agree,normally sleep well but last night I was still seething at 3am and as you say angry and let down big style !

DB9

Totally agree,normally sleep well but last night I was still seething at 3am and as you say angry and let down big style !
I had a real bad nights sleep, reliving thing, seeing the result, seething about things etc. It is always the same for me and Mrs DB9 expected this so that is why she slept in the spare room but still heard me getting up and doing a bit of pacing around. This is what being a supporter is like, Players come and go but being a fan is for life!

Antony Moxey

The ones on the electric board pitchside
Whoever owns those boards I would imagine.

iscalad

So you think sky didn’t pay anything or that the pitch side advertising boards full of companies were advertising on tv for Nothing.
All profit made from the play off finals is shared equally amongst the league, I believe.

andrew p long

I wouldn't mind seeing some stats on our win percentage when Archie starts as opposed to Atangana.
SRJ - can I direct you to the Soccerbase website? If you look under Exeter City, then choose matches/ results then the player filter function allows you to generate stats for individual players for specific seasons

You won’t be surprised at the results for this season. We lost twice as often this season when Atangana played than when he didn’t (32% Defeats when Atangana played, 15%when he didn’t). The reverse was true for Archie; when he played we were only half as likely to lose (18%) as when he didn’t play (38%).

those defeat stats are stark ; Archie not Atangana we lose one in six, promotion form. Atangana not Archie we lose one in three, mid table form.

Nigel E

Tisdale and Taylor both had/have good qualities and talents. However they also seem to share a very bad one - a one dimensional, unimaginative approach when up against it. That team selection and tactics last night were reminiscent of Tisdale at his worst. I just hope Mat can climb out of the hole he has dug himself into.
Yes, and you can add to that - worrying too much about the other team. We were never going to beat Northampton by impersonating them.

Atangana got his place back on reputation and height - not form, he was terrible at Colchester. Leaving Collins out sent a big signal to our own team, that Taylor didn't believe in them to win on their own terms.

Taylor talked in his interview about players not believing in themselves, but he needs to remember that belief is instilled through leadership and trust.

Taylor now needs to show he is not like Tisdale and can learn from his mistakes. I also now expect him to give more chances to those coming through from the u-23s, they deserve a proper chance now, and L2 provides an easier introduction.

But all that said about the manager, the players deserve the lion's share of the criticism, it was the most feeble performance I can remember.

arthur

Taylor talked in his interview about players not believing in themselves, but he needs to remember that belief is instilled through leadership and trust.
I sometimes think that Matt might be a bit too introverted to develop that relationship with individual players that will get the best out of them. This is only a suspicion, based on his manner, but one particular incident has always stuck in my mind.

It was our first season in League 1 and we had a penalty in front of the big bank. Nardiello and O'Flynn had an undignified scrap about who was going to take it, making both of them look unprofessional idiots. Matt was captain at the time, and remained resolutely in his own half and didn't get involved at all....

IndoMike

SRJ - can I direct you to the Soccerbase website? If you look under Exeter City, then choose matches/ results then the player filter function allows you to generate stats for individual players for specific seasons

You won’t be surprised at the results for this season. We lost twice as often this season when Atangana played than when he didn’t (32% Defeats when Atangana played, 15%when he didn’t). The reverse was true for Archie; when he played we were only half as likely to lose (18%) as when he didn’t play (38%).

those defeat stats are stark ; Archie not Atangana we lose one in six, promotion form. Atangana not Archie we lose one in three, mid table form.
Interesting.