• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
SRJ - can I direct you to the Soccerbase website? If you look under Exeter City, then choose matches/ results then the player filter function allows you to generate stats for individual players for specific seasons

You won’t be surprised at the results for this season. We lost twice as often this season when Atangana played than when he didn’t (32% Defeats when Atangana played, 15%when he didn’t). The reverse was true for Archie; when he played we were only half as likely to lose (18%) as when he didn’t play (38%).

those defeat stats are stark ; Archie not Atangana we lose one in six, promotion form. Atangana not Archie we lose one in three, mid table form.
It's interesting isn't it? For what it's worth I think Atangana is a decent player. I just think there's a mindset that in some games (like last night) we have to pick certain players and change the way we play to counter certain threats from the opposition and in reality it doesn't always bear fruit.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
But all that said about the manager, the players deserve the lion's share of the criticism, it was the most feeble performance I can remember.
You could almost sum it up when Bowman fluffed his chance when he somehow tackled himself.

iscalad

Has anyone got a link to Taggy on Radio Devon?

Red Devon

Apart from being angry and humiliated....he didn’t really say much more than we take a few minutes to brush ourselves down and we go again with even more determination...personally think Taggy has done good job and has came across very well in these unprecedented times.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
After having time to reflect on it I'm still bitterly disappointed and slightly embarrassed by last nights performance. I'll excuse the odd poor performance from a player but not in such a big game at Wembley. Despite being physically bullied last night I don't feel that over the season our physicality let us down, certainly not in the powder puff way it did during the Tisdale era.
Next season I'd build the team around Collins, hes a cracking player, I'd also play Seymour as I see a lot of promise and with some confidence I think he'll progress very quickly. The rest can ferk off.....spineless bunch of tw@ts, I don't like any of them!

Nigel E

You could almost sum it up when Bowman fluffed his chance when he somehow tackled himself.
It was weird, as I think it was caused by trying too hard to put it on his right foot. When (a) he had just scored a great goal on his left foot in the last game and (b) the angle needed a left foot finish anyway.

Oldsmobile-88

Trying to get one sorted.I’ve asked James Vicary via Twitter.

Rosencrantz

It was weird, as I think it was caused by trying too hard to put it on his right foot. When (a) he had just scored a great goal on his left foot in the last game and (b) the angle needed a left foot finish anyway.
He just had a dodgy first touch and couldn't get the ball out of his feet unlike in the semi when he did perfectly.

greendreamer

So sorry to see such a disappointing result for you. I hope to see you all at Huish Park next season.

JayPob94

My mum, a large football lover from her days in the south west made a good point.

Some of the team yesterday were out of contract, maybe Matt should have sorted their futures out before the game?
Players like Moxey were going into that game downright knowing it would be their last....