• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

WTF does Matt Jay have to do to get in the side???

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Now that MJ has made it to 100 appearances in all competitions, it's interesting to look back at how he came to get this far.

If we look at his century of appearances and split them into a couple of half centuries, his progress can be appreciated in far greater clarity.

First 50:
(between '13-14 and January 2019)
19 starts, 31 sub appearances, 2 goals.

Second 50:

(23/02/19 to date)
43 starts, 7 sub appearances, 23 goals.

So when someone starts a thread about what happens if we lose Ryan Bowman or Randell Williams in the transfer window, how come MJ gets overlooked? I'd say he is every bit as important a player to us as anyone.

His second 50 started just before his 23rd birthday, a fact which really does pay tribute to those in the club who always had faith in him.
That goal rate in the second fifty is an eye-opener. MJ was pushing really hard last season for a league starting role. Add to the quality link up play and assists he has gone under the radar compared to say Randell. MJ is never going to do multiple step overs or fly past players. But he has the same effect on the game, or arguably more, by letting the ball do the work.

I always think that being labelled a clever player doesn't hold as much credit in the English game as it should. We have had similar players come through before like Geoff Breslan and Chris Shepherd who were and are really good footballers but never really established themselves to be effective in first team football and drifted into non league. In this case though you have to admire MJ's perseverance and hard work to improve his strength in order to become effective in first team football as well as the clubs patience.

grecIAN Harris

Now that MJ has made it to 100 appearances in all competitions, it's interesting to look back at how he came to get this far.

If we look at his century of appearances and split them into a couple of half centuries, his progress can be appreciated in far greater clarity.

First 50:
(between '13-14 and January 2019)
19 starts, 31 sub appearances, 2 goals.

Second 50:

(23/02/19 to date)
43 starts, 7 sub appearances, 23 goals.

So when someone starts a thread about what happens if we lose Ryan Bowman or Randell Williams in the transfer window, how come MJ gets overlooked? I'd say he is every bit as important a player to us as anyone.

His second 50 started just before his 23rd birthday, a fact which really does pay tribute to those in the club who always had faith in him.
All this once again adds to what I and Sturtz were saying last season the fact that MJ should have been starting streets ahead of Lee Martin. If you want to know why we didn't go straight up last season from the position we were in, there's the answer. MJ scores goals because he knows where to be to find the back of the net whereas Lee Martin couldn't find his way to goal with a blown up map with a bloody great big X on it. He is City's answer to Peter Beardsley. Cute and clever on the ball outside the box without being flash and knows where the back of the net is once he is inside the box.

fred binneys head

You know that Peter Beardsley? That’s your girlfriend, that is.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s a brilliant player is MJ. Anyone know his contract situation? We MUST tie him down to another deal as a priority.

Reactions: Ash

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s a brilliant player is MJ. Anyone know his contract situation? We MUST tie him down to another deal as a priority.
Of most concern is that he has finally started to show what many of us thought he had but he is now 24 and could leave on a free next season

Ash

Of most concern is that he has finally started to show what many of us thought he had but he is now 24 and could leave on a free next season
If he's out of contract. Anyone know if he is?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he's out of contract. Anyone know if he is?
I believe he is out of contract at the end of this season. I am pretty sure he will stay though, particularly if we go up.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe he is out of contract at the end of this season. I am pretty sure he will stay though, particularly if we go up.
If you read the article comparing him to Watkins I would argue it's more likely he will go. I would see his situation as similar to Pym, Moore-Taylor and Sercombe. Local lads who have given good service to their hometown club but felt for career reasons it was time to test themselves. The only difference is that MJ is about 70-100 games behind where those players were in their careers. Therefore, I would hope he feels at least one more season is needed to firmly establish himself before he moves onto a higher move?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you read the article comparing him to Watkins I would argue it's more likely he will go. I would see his situation as similar to Pym, Moore-Taylor and Sercombe. Local lads who have given good service to their hometown club but felt for career reasons it was time to test themselves. The only difference is that MJ is about 70-100 games behind where those players were in their careers. Therefore, I would hope he feels at least one more season is needed to firmly establish himself before he moves onto a higher move?
That is a possibility. However, from what I hear, MJ is happy here and there is every chance he could be a L1 player with us next season. Pym and Moore-Taylor were different situations and different players who (as you say) had played more games that MJ. I am confident he will be with us for 18 months longer.

andrew p long

I dont expect Nicky Law to feature all that much for City next season. I suspect this is MJs chance.
Good call by Martin in August.

This season Nicky Law only two league starts. MJ 11 goals, including 7 in the last 7 games.