• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Who would you try to get rid of in the summer?

I'd give him another season. It would be interesting to see what a pre-season would do with us.
He just looks utterly shorn of any confidence. Three years ago, if things weren't going well, he'd still want the ball and look to do something. watching him against Pompey on Saturday, everything he did went sideways, and he just didn't look for the ball. I think his treatment at Brighton and Swindon must have shattered any confidence he had - saying that, if Tisdale can get him back to anywhere near his best, I'll doff my cravat to him.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Having been kicked from pillar to post since he left us what do you expect? If you didn't work out from his first time with us, Harley is the sort of player who needs some TLC to get the best out of him. It is going to take a bit of time to get him back with the way he's been treated. Help him back this season, give him the confidence of another contract for next and ally that with a full pre-season with us and I think we'll have 'our' Ryan back next season. We know what he can do and Tis knows how he needs to be treated to get it back but it's not an instant fix that maybe we'd all hoped for although some of us are seeing little glimpse here and there that he can still do it.

tonykellowfan

Am I alone in thinking that is a massive squad for a L2 side? Surely we could prune down to 22 without any great loss. We have so many players who are not going to figure that much since we don't do cup runs. Quite simple I would clear out anyone over 30 and play the younger players and let them develop. There would still be decent experienced players like Harley and Nicholls to gel the team and money would be there to had some decent players, GK and CB as a priority. This squad looks like someone playing Football Manager who keeps adding crap players because that is all that is available and ends up with 30 useless players.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Am I alone in thinking that is a massive squad for a L2 side? Surely we could prune down to 22 without any great loss. We have so many players who are not going to figure that much since we don't do cup runs. Quite simple I would clear out anyone over 30 and play the younger players and let them develop. There would still be decent experienced players like Harley and Nicholls to gel the team and money would be there to had some decent players, GK and CB as a priority. This squad looks like someone playing Football Manager who keeps adding crap players because that is all that is available and ends up with 30 useless players.
That would be 30 year old Ryan Harley, I presume? ;)

neilybags

Out definitely would be Butterfield, Harley, Morrisson, Oakley, Noble, Tilson. Not sure about Baldwin, depends on his fitness. I have huge doubts about Hamon. I think Sercs. Ribeiro and Wheeler are crucial to us. New manager would be good too!

ECFC Music

Beyond me why people want to keep Baldwin. He's ****e and completely crocked, but I guess as long as he's a nice guy that doesn't matter? Also, know for a fact our best centre-back, JMT despises playing with him and much prefers playing with Bennett at centre-back.
Yeah Baldwin is a nice guy but why be cynical. JMT is a tough cookie however he is not the quickest and pairing him with Bennett who is slower still sounds like a recipe for goals against.So i would dispense with Bennett's services and look to get in a dominant and mobile centre back.
As for others to ship out here goes
Morrison
Cummins
Butterfield
Woodman
The above 4 definitely

As for the following need to see how they perform or have not been persevered with so cannot make a judgement
Riley-Lowe
Tillson
Jay
McAllister
Harley
Pope
McCready
Reid

Others to release possibly
Keohane
Davies

Oakley will probably retire anyway

Terryhall

Who would get keep, release, try to get rid of or loan out in the summer?
Have been having a good long think on this topic and almost replied a couple of times before. I would base my clearout on who I think we need to bring in. So on that basis:

Get rid of one of Hamon or Pym, and get in a solid experienced pro to either be first choice, or to mentor the younger keeper.
Get rid of one of Butterfield or Baldwin (although I hugely rate him, JMT is the future of our back four), and get in a taller faster centre back to play alongside JMT and complement the areas where he is weak.
Get rid of one of Woodman or McAllister and blood Riley-Lowe as backup in this position with a view to him moving into the first XI in due course
Get rid of one of Sercombe, Davies or Noble and get in a disruptive defensive midfielder to play alongside whoever is in the side to 'create'
Get rid of McCready and allow Harley & Keohane to compete for the creative midfield role and push each other to keep their place in the side
Get rid of Jay (great talent, never going to make it) and Morrison (despite the great touches, the legs have gone and aren't coming back).
Give Reid until Dec 2015 to prove his fitness and that he can cut the mustard at our level, and then if he cannot, then get rid at that time.

In my head, I feel like we actually have a fairly settled squad that doesn't need much to be a very good set of players - but then when you work through it on paper, there's plenty that could be improved upon given a little creativity in the scouting and transfer market.

I think we have the basis of a competitive team already there if they were used more effectively in the positions they're most comfortable in. I think then its more filling in the gaps to round out the squad/team to make starting eleven more balanced. Requirements would be for example a experienced keeper and centre back being obvious. Someone like Anthony Gardner would be of been a better addition than McAllister for example and he was/is also available on free transfer. A ball-winning midfielder and a support forward that Tom can play off would be good and then a left sided ribs type player at LB. That would give squad of 22 plus any first year pros that are deemed ready for step up.

Keep Out
Goalkeepers Goalkeepers
Pym, aged 19 Hamon, aged 19

Defenders Defenders
Bennett, 24 Butterfield, 35
Baldwin, 32 Woodman, 32
Riberio, 25 McAllister, 36
Moore-Taylor, 21 Tillison, 21
Riley Lowe, 19

Midfield Midfield
Sercombe, 24 Davies, 30
Keohane, 24 Noble, 33
Wheeler, 24
Pope, 19
Harley, 30
McCready, 23

Forwards Forwards
Reid, 20 Cummins, 27
Nichols, 21 Morrison, 35
Nichols, 27
Jay, 18
Watkins, 19

GrecianWonder

Amazed anyone wants Noble gone. He's been crucial for us this season and really missed him when he's been injured.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amazed anyone wants Noble gone. He's been crucial for us this season and really missed him when he's been injured.
I am curious about McCready, and the Morecambe forum where their supporters felt he wasn't given a fair crack of the whip. Plus reading his background sounds like he has done other things prior to coming back to football, I would like to see what he has to offer with this in mind, could be another Wheeler?