• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
And so to date, I think one person around the world has been proven to catch it twice. Are you suggesting that we should completely throw out one option (the only option that has worked in the past) because of one absolute outlier?
No, I'm not. I'm saying we shouldn't rush to it when we don't know how long immunity lasts. If it is only 6 months, it makes herd immunity untenable.

Also, can you point to an example of a disease with a similar infection/death rate, where herd immunity worked without hundreds of thousands of deaths?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Read that earlier, It does say though healthcare workers immunity remains high due to constant exposure. I'm no expert but if we went back to "Normal" and the virus is still around then wouldn't our immunity still remain high?
Possibly, but if it remains prevalent in the community then vulnerable people would remain at risk indefinitely.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Possibly, but if it remains prevalent in the community then vulnerable people would remain at risk indefinitely.
Protecting the vunerable is a must and any Government must see this as a top priority, We though have to get back to some sense of normality otherwise the result will be far worse and not only the vunerable will be at risk. My take is put all we can in creating a vaccine but also put all we can in protecting the vunerable also.

Mr Jinx

No, I'm not. I'm saying we shouldn't rush to it when we don't know how long immunity lasts. If it is only 6 months, it makes herd immunity untenable.
If it turns out it only lasts 6 months, then what's the point putting everything on hold waiting for a vaccine that only covers people for 6 or so months?

tavyred

If it turns out it only lasts 6 months, then what's the point putting everything on hold waiting for a vaccine that only covers people for 6 or so months?
It’ll be a bit like the seasonal flu jab, as far as I’m aware it only lasts one flu season.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Because a vaccine is not the same as natural immunity (which the BBC article says if you'd actually read it)

Mr Jinx

Because a vaccine is not the same as natural immunity (which the BBC article says if you'd actually read it)
The Spanish flu of 1918 killed the young disproportionately. The most credible theory as to why the elderly got off relatively lightly that time is because they'd already been exposed to similar in the outbreak of 1890 (aka "Russian flu"). This was long before the days of vaccines.

Jus sayin

DB9

Who'd thought that "Lefty Luvvie" Victoria Derbyshire having to issue an apology for saying "Sod the rule of six" (paraphrasing here) on her radio show because she has seven people who she wants to invite around for Christmas, Probably told to by her bosses but what she said resonates up and down the country and TBH most think that and will do it any way.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Spanish flu of 1918 killed the young disproportionately. The most credible theory as to why the elderly got off relatively lightly that time is because they'd already been exposed to similar in the outbreak of 1890 (aka "Russian flu"). This was long before the days of vaccines.

Jus sayin
And on the way it killed 230,000 people in the UK. When the population was much smaller and much less dense.

Just saying.

Grecian2K

This was long before the days of vaccines.
Not true. Edward Jenner will be turning in his grave if he reads this! :p