• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not only did I read and digest it the first time, I've had the very same professor spouting his ambiguities over the airwaves every 30 mins on R6 new bulletins in the background all day.

Here are some question for you - if natural immunity lasts only for a matter of months for everyone and CV just keeps coming back, how come we don't see loads of people die of Spanish flu all the time? Or do we (and they just call it normal flu)? Why did Spanish or Asian flu rip round the world in a couple of years, never to really return in significant numbers in the days before flu vaccines? If long term herd immunity wasn't a significant thing, surely they would have just kept coming back ad infinitum?
You do know the current COVID strain and Spanish flu are not the same thing right? And that what may have worked then (50 million dead people might question your definition of "worked"), might not work now? And as we've already established the situations in 1918 and now are incomparable?

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
You do know the current COVID strain and Spanish flu are not the same thing right? And that what may have worked then (50 million dead people might question your definition of "worked"), might not work now? And as we've already established the situations in 1918 and now are incomparable?
Well, you've established that with yourself, lol. Of course they're different but, as with most influenza pandemics, there are many parallels. Just because it happened it 100 years ago doesn't mean it's completely irrelevant. That is apart from the huge death toll which you keep reminding us of. Had it happened today, the death toll would be nowhere near that of 1918; that bit is totally incomparable.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, you've established that with yourself, lol. Of course they're different but, as with most influenza pandemics, there are many parallels. Just because it happened it 100 years ago doesn't mean it's completely irrelevant. That is apart from the huge death toll which you keep reminding us of. Had it happened today, the death toll would be nowhere near that of 1918; that bit is totally incomparable.
Importantly different strains have different immunity lengths. If we knew COVID had a 2-3 year immunity, like SARS does, then herd immunity might be a viable option. But other strains have 6 month immunity, and it's starting to look like COVID has similar. That's not long enough for the virus to pass through the population without it coming round again.

Alistair20000

Maybe so, but it was still taxpayer's money going into his companies pockets. I'm sure he could have supplied the office gratis, which would have been a real saving for taxpayers and proper philanthropy to hang his hat on.

Ps. I guess she will be anticipating the opportunistic pap that will outside her house on Christmas Day trying to count numbers.
Sorry Rosey why should he do that ? On what basis is an M.P. supposed to be worse off by serving in public office ?

Let’s assume he stayed within the rules and the taxpayer stumped up full price for the rent on an office that he needed and to which he was entitled. He can then rent his company’s own property to a third party at a full market rent.

Here are the results.

Taxpayer stumps up extra cash.

Tory M.P. better off while obeying the rules when he would happily have broken the rules to save the taxpayer some cash.

Ms Darbyshire thinks she scores a win but in practice it’s an empty victory and which has come back to bite her bum.

Tories 3 Lefty Luvvies 0 :)

Rosencrantz

Sorry Rosey why should he do that ? On what basis is an M.P. supposed to be worse off by serving in public office ?

Let’s assume he stayed within the rules and the taxpayer stumped up full price for the rent on an office that he needed and to which he was entitled. He can then rent his company’s own property to a third party at a full market rent.

Here are the results.

Taxpayer stumps up extra cash.

Tory M.P. better off while obeying the rules when he would happily have broken the rules to save the taxpayer some cash.

Ms Darbyshire thinks she scores a win but in practice it’s an empty victory and which has come back to bite her bum.

Tories 3 Lefty Luvvies 0 :)
What if it was an office he was having problems shifting? It's the same thing in principle as MP's employing their family members (no doubt at cost price 😉) and claiming the expenses which I believe is now against the rules also. It's public money going in the MP's pocket over what they actually are entitled to however you dress it up. Whether he is taking advantage of the situation or being kind on the taxpayer is moot as he did break the rule - IPSA's rules state that no expenses may be claimed for the rental of a property if the MP or connected party is the owner of the property. It is a safeguard of the abusing the system in terms of conflict of interest and protecting the public purse.

If anyone's to blame from this MP's seemingly, small philanthropic gesture being against the rules it's the MP's who abused the system causing the rule changes. Laws and rules are often set to the lowest common denominator in the society it contains.

I'm sure Ms Darbyshire will have to deal with her own particular petard.

Alistair20000

What if it was an office he was having problems shifting? It's the same thing in principle as MP's employing their family members (no doubt at cost price 😉) and claiming the expenses which I believe is now against the rules also. It's public money going in the MP's pocket over what they actually are entitled to however you dress it up. Whether he is taking advantage of the situation or being kind on the taxpayer is moot as he did break the rule - IPSA's rules state that no expenses may be claimed for the rental of a property if the MP or connected party is the owner of the property. It is a safeguard of the abusing the system in terms of conflict of interest and protecting the public purse.

If anyone's to blame from this MP's seemingly, small philanthropic gesture being against the rules it's the MP's who abused the system causing the rule changes. Laws and rules are often set to the lowest common denominator in the society it contains.

I'm sure Ms Darbyshire will have to deal with her own particular petard.
Ever studied the theory of holes Rosey ? ;)

Rosencrantz

Ever studied the theory of holes Rosey ? ;)
You mean this?

https://www.diamondapproach.org/public-page/theory-holes

Different level stuff from you here Ali, I didn't know our relationship was heading this way 😉. Second last paragraph is a corker I admit.

tavyred

Europe in the face of rising infections slowly but surely shutting itself down again. It won’t be as draconian as last time but I think it’s looking like Easter before any form of normality returns. I quite enjoyed the last lockdown, but I’m guessing in the dark days of winter my enjoyment level won’t the same.

Mr Jinx

I quite enjoyed the last lockdown, but I’m guessing in the dark days of winter my enjoyment level won’t the same.
You'll be more than bored of it all once lockdown #3 arrives this time next year.

Alistair20000

Europe in the face of rising infections slowly but surely shutting itself down again. It won’t be as draconian as last time but I think it’s looking like Easter before any form of normality returns. I quite enjoyed the last lockdown, but I’m guessing in the dark days of winter my enjoyment level won’t the same.
May we assume you are in receipt of a guaranteed secure pension Tavers ?