• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Nah, those two naughty Tories voted Labour in 2017
And there was I thinking they were men of principle ..Floating voters ......tut tut
(They voted Labour, or were in labour?)

Grecian2K

I see pub closing times are back to 10pm.
Iirc that was the closing time when I was legally allowed to drink in 1979.
It moved to 11pm in the mid 80s & became a free for all in 2005.
IIRC there were "local" licencing hours back in the 70s. I vaguely recall (through an admittedly 50 year "drunken haze") that it was 10.30 in Exeter but 11.00 in "East Devon". When the local government boundaries move Topsham from the former authority into the latter during that decade there was local outcry from the muddy banks of the Exe.
Mid seventies (when I first moved from Exmouth to our capital city) I did spend a couple of seasons "doubling up" in the respective Monday night dart leagues. Go on early in the Whitbread Exeter fixture and, put your foot down on the accelerator, to get back 8th or 9th for your Exmouth & District fixture you could get to enjoy an extra 30 minutes drinkies time.

IndoMike

Oh, Jay-zuss (as Inspector Ted Hastings might say).
Fresh from the Beeb newsfeed. (And it's his quotes, not mine)

Who is "politicising" it now???

Why is your beloved leader (and the hapless, hopeless DoorMatt Hancock) spaffing squilions against the the wall (and into the deep pockets of Baroness Dildo and the likes of Deloitte/Serco etc) pursuing it then?

Spend it on HEALTHcare and not "management consultants" and data-losers then.
It's Johnson's sad pathetic response to criticism.

Fred: So PM, how come the medical staff, care homes, and test and tracing have been neglected?
Fatty Johnson: How dare you criticise the medical staff, care homes , and those people working night and day to provide testing and tracing
Fred (....should say):I'm not criticising them, I'm criticising YOU!

Clearly from the polls people are not swallowing Johnson's bs any more

Oldsmobile-88

IIRC there were "local" licencing hours back in the 70s. I vaguely recall (through an admittedly 50 year "drunken haze") that it was 10.30 in Exeter but 11.00 in "East Devon". When the local government boundaries move Topsham from the former authority into the latter during that decade there was local outcry from the muddy banks of the Exe.
Mid seventies (when I first moved from Exmouth to our capital city) I did spend a couple of seasons "doubling up" in the respective Monday night dart leagues. Go on early in the Whitbread Exeter fixture and, put your foot down on the accelerator, to get back 8th or 9th for your Exmouth & District fixture you could get to enjoy an extra 30 minutes drinkies time.
Yep...Seem to recall later than 10.30 pm closing times when I occasionally ventured to Torquay.
It was definitely 10pm closing on a Sunday.

Rosencrantz

When talking about the lockdown I do recall the medical/science experts at the start citing a predictable tail off in compliance by the public being a factor, and again if I remember correctly it was even used as a justification for delaying the UK’s lockdown. Perhaps we just need to accept that unlike the Germans and the Swedes we are just more culturally predisposed to say “feck it, I’m not doing this anymore”. 🤷‍♂️
There was a lot about "lockdown fatigue" although using it to delay the UK's lockdown turned out to be erroneous. The uptake in compliance at first if I remember was in excess of what was originally hoped for. I expect the majority will still stick to the latest regulations as set out, whether through gritted teeth or otherwise. But the drift away that might be natural to a degree has been exacerbated by the lack of leadership shown due to in great part the reasons I stated.

Trust and compliance is something that needs to be earnt by the leadership whatever nationality you are, and it does take a long time to do so. But in emergencies this time is very much foreshortened, where trust and compliance is much more quickly gained, almost as a given, but can also be just as quickly lost. Just being British doesn't cut it as a trait. WW2 and the reaction to it by Brits is so often brought up as a national characteristic, that was of course much more nuanced than the sweeping generalisations would have you believe, but is still celebrated today as a core of being British. But clearly the Country, according to what you say, no longer holds those values. Or the country trusted in the leadership being shown, by whatever method, back then in a way that is failing now.

tavyred

There was a lot about "lockdown fatigue" although using it to delay the UK's lockdown turned out to be erroneous. The uptake in compliance at first if I remember was in excess of what was originally hoped for. I expect the majority will still stick to the latest regulations as set out, whether through gritted teeth or otherwise. But the drift away that might be natural to a degree has been exacerbated by the lack of leadership shown due to in great part the reasons I stated.

Trust and compliance is something that needs to be earnt by the leadership whatever nationality you are, and it does take a long time to do so. But in emergencies this time is very much foreshortened, where trust and compliance is much more quickly gained, almost as a given, but can also be just as quickly lost. Just being British doesn't cut it as a trait. WW2 and the reaction to it by Brits is so often brought up as a national characteristic, that was of course much more nuanced than the sweeping generalisations would have you believe, but is still celebrated today as a core of being British. But clearly the Country, according to what you say, no longer holds those values. Or the country trusted in the leadership being shown, by whatever method, back then in a way that is failing now.
I was just ‘spitballing’ Rosey, as you are if you were being honest.
Crime rocketed in WW2, so it wasn’t all Dunkirk spirit and sing-alongs in the air raid shelter.
I know you’re desperate to pin the rosette of failure on BJ and the Tories and I admit that I’m predisposed to perhaps give them more of a sympathetic ear than they deserve, but there are way more variables you can apply to a country’s COVID response than airy fairy stories about leadership and DC’s sojourn to Barnard Castle. Germans are historically and culturally more likely to trust their government and that is reflected in things like compliance to government instructions in a pandemic. Brits in my view have a cultural distrust of any authority figure and their compliance is finite. Probably explains why a Hitler type figure has never been elected into power in Britain.

Grecian2K

What the fkuc is "spitballing"?
Hardly appropriate in the height of a pandemic I'd have thought?
(Although hardly unexpected either from your ilk)

Rosencrantz

I was just ‘spitballing’ Rosey, as you are if you were being honest.
Crime rocketed in WW2, so it wasn’t all Dunkirk spirit and sing-alongs in the air raid shelter.
I know you’re desperate to pin the rosette of failure on BJ and the Tories and I admit that I’m predisposed to perhaps give them more of a sympathetic ear than they deserve, but there are way more variables you can apply to a country’s COVID response than airy fairy stories about leadership and DC’s sojourn to Barnard Castle. Germans are historically and culturally more likely to trust their government and that is reflected in things like compliance to government instructions in a pandemic. Brits in my view have a cultural distrust of any authority figure and their compliance is finite. Probably explains why a Hitler type figure has never been elected into power in Britain.
Brits have always had a tendancy to ***** (will "burst" be acceptable Mr Censor?) the bubble of pompous asses who think they're the Dog's.

PG Wodehouse's satire of Sir Roderick Spode/Mosley as the leader of those blighters who run around in black footer bags going against the stick he got in the war for not getting out of France in time and doing those broadcasts the fathead 😉.

But now it's all those nasty left wing comedian's who shouldn't be given airtime. It's as if Beyond the Fringe never happened 🤐

Ps. Boris is wearing that rosette ever more well 😐

tavyred

What the fkuc is "spitballing"?
Hardly appropriate in the height of a pandemic I'd have thought?
(Although hardly unexpected either from your ilk)
I’m not sure someone with a penchant for casual misogyny should be preaching about what’s appropriate. 🤷‍♂️

Grecian2K

I was merely enquiring what "spitballing" was?
And as for your tediously repeated accusations of "casual misogyny". Please leave it out. That has been categorically refuted (and disproven) by many others than myself.
Please desist in these defamatory and inaccurate insinuations.
I could (and perhaps should) call you far worse things.
But I won't
Because it's not in my nature to be gratuitously insulting (except to "public figures" who set themselves up for such criticism.
So I'll merely, politely, ask you kindly desist from this ridiculously ignorant repeated attempt at a smear.
Perhaps you should, instead, be focusing your tiny little mind on the things that truly matter at the moment?