• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep...Seem to recall later than 10.30 pm closing times when I occasionally ventured to Torquay.
It was definitely 10pm closing on a Sunday.
And sometimes local friendly Plod who knew all the locals was happily drinking in the boozer after hours. :)

Grecian2K

And sometimes local friendly Plod who knew all the locals was happily drinking in the boozer after hours. :)
Oh, happy days.
Probably safe to tell this tale now (as the landlord is, sadly long departed and the pub long closed) but those "lock-ins" - after darts, euchre, pool, whatever nights - at the old Albion Inn in Exmouth were legendary.
Sad enough to still be in the pub at sunrise in the summer, but, in mid winter?????
(Disclaimer here - I was on shift work at the time so ideal for the dreaded 2-10 number. Still a few hours to grab some kip.)
Biggest irony is that the pub was only about 100 yards from Exmouth cop shop. One night/early morning they actually piled into the pub on a raid. Must have been at least a couple dozen of us still carousing. They got two names!!!
As they plodded around asking for details the answer we gave tended to be "bleddy hell. I've just told a couple of your mates already."
Net result - two names. No charges.
Happy days.

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed..I used to drink in the Devonport Inn,Fore St in the early to mid 1980s.We frequently left after midnight.Because the landlord ran a tight ship,there was no trouble inside or outside to draw the old bills attention.

True story.
The room above the bar was let out for meetings on occasions.A load of blokes met under the pseudonym of a gardening club,they were the area National Front committee apparently(a few blokes attire gave it away) The landlord was a electrics whizz in his younger days & bugged the room 😁 Feeding the local plod with information about demos & potential trouble that could be coming.
Another reason the police turned a blind eye to the licence laws at the premises.

Alistair20000

As Germany seems to be managing Covid rather better than us I found this piece interesting but I don't suppose Boris has summoned up the energy to read it.

We can beat Covid without lockdowns, says virologist

Germany's most celebrated virologist has some trenchant advice for countries contemplating a second national lockdown: hold your nerve - and do not succumb to the pervasive mood of mass hysteria. "It is time to stop all this alarmism," said Professor Hendrik Streeck, director of Germany's Institute of Virology at Bonn University. "We can outsmart the virus using all our knowledge." Calling for calibrated measures and a cool head, he told Ambrose Evans-Pritchard about the danger of misreading rising case numbers. Telegraph data analysis shows that Europe's second wave of Covid-19 is proving less deadly than the first.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Is it true that you can have more people at your funeral than your wedding?

Oldsmobile-88

Different messages for all 4 nations of the UK.
No change there !

I hope the government has the tenacity to stop/ban demos around London.
There was another BLM demo around Oxford St last Saturday with all that goes with it.
Save your frigging demos for when this is all over.(That goes for everyone !)

OmanGrecian

@Hants_red You’ll be glad to hear that the daily cases are still holding steady here. They have actually marginally decreased. I think your main risk is the UK and whether Italy brings in restrictions for people arriving from the UK and not the other way round

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
@Hants_red You’ll be glad to hear that the daily cases are still holding steady here. They have actually marginally decreased. I think your main risk is the UK and whether Italy brings in restrictions for people arriving from the UK and not the other way round
Cheers. I have a backup plan for Inverness, but I think I've got more chance with Italy at the moment.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is it true that you can have more people at your funeral than your wedding?
Yep 15 for wedding, 30 for funeral (and as far as I'm aware) 1 for your birth, the mother.

DB9

Cheers. I have a backup plan for Inverness, but I think I've got more chance with Italy at the moment.
Pick Italy, You'll never get past Hadrian's Wall now Hants!