• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
So what is your view of the latest “measures” Elgers ?
The latest "measures" indeed. I view it as yet more tinkering around the edges of the ongoing mitigation strategy, Al. As you know, I've always advocated a suppression strategy not least because like Taiwan and NZ, we have the huge advantage of living on an island. But mitigation it is, and another 'six months' of this to look forward to, according to the Johnson.

Not to mention it all distracts nicely from the lack of planning, IT systems, trained customs personnel and infrastructure needed for January, I suppose. No doubt Covid to blame for that too. Covid blues.

DB9

My lad, Who's been WFH since early March and was due to start a gradual return to office in October has had an email late this afternoon saying due to latest Government statement that going back to the office is postponed until further notice and stay WFH.

Alistair20000

The latest "measures" indeed. I view it as yet more tinkering around the edges of the ongoing mitigation strategy, Al. As you know, I've always advocated a suppression strategy not least because like Taiwan and NZ, we have the huge advantage of living on an island. But mitigation it is, and another 'six months' of this to look forward to, according to the Johnson.

Not to mention it all distracts nicely from the lack of planning, IT systems, trained customs personnel and infrastructure needed for January, I suppose. No doubt Covid to blame for that too. Covid blues.
The social health and economic consequences of a suppression policy would do more damage than good. You really would have to shut the whole country down for months. No guarantee it would work either. Mr COVID would still be lurking. If this bloody thing can go right round the world from a single case in China it is unlikely to be stopped whatever you do.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sounds like we should retraining the 6,000 people about to be laid off by Whitbread to be customs officers or IT engineers.

They could use the swathes of empty hotel conference rooms to train in

Still, it's only a Pret sandwich...

Alistair20000

After poor service at breakfast in a Premier Inn in Poole a couple of weeks ago I am inclined not to be very sympathetic.

A very polite request to be served please after being seated in a corner and forgotten was met with a surly response and things slammed on the table.

Feckin’ dire :mad:

elginCity

The social health and economic consequences of a suppression policy would do more damage than good. You really would have to shut the whole country down for months. No guarantee it would work either. Mr COVID would still be lurking. If this bloody thing can go right round the world from a single case in China it is unlikely to be stopped whatever you do.
"A stitch in time saves nine..."

- The Johnson, just now.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
After poor service at breakfast in a Premier Inn in Poole a couple of weeks ago I am inclined not to be very sympathetic.

A very polite request to be served please after being seated in a corner and forgotten was met with a surly response and things slammed on the table.

Probably knew that they weren't long left in employment.

I'm surprised someone of your refinement was breakfasting at the Premier Inn, when there are some lovely cafes on the harbour that would have done you a double espresso and a croissant.

OmanGrecian

So, something that surprised me from that BoJo brief was that I thought it was already mandatory to wear a mask in a taxi. I also thought bar staff had to wear them too. I haven't been back to the UK much during these restrictions, so didn't notice, but thought that would be common sense.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

I stay in a Premier Inn if there is no decent alternative, but otherwise I try to avoid them. So many better alternatives, even within the chain hotels.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, something that surprised me from that BoJo brief was that I thought it was already mandatory to wear a mask in a taxi. I also thought bar staff had to wear them too. I haven't been back to the UK much during these restrictions, so didn't notice, but thought that would be common sense.
I thought the same re taxi's
When you got on a a bus, passengers had to wear one - the driver didn't

Bar staff, it wasn't mandatory - same as shop workers.
When you shop, customers had to wear one, staff didn't - although some retailers made it mandatory
When you go to the pub, neither customers or staff had to wear one. Now customers do unless they are at the table, staff now have to all the time.

When you shoot grouse in a group of 30, my sources tell me you don't have to wear one, and still won't have to.
When you are in a school with 1,890 teenagers, you also don't have to wear one.
When you are in an empty library, you do.

And you wonder why Joe and Jo Public are feckin confused, to the extent that fewer and fewer people follow the rules

I'm beginning to think Indo had it right, and just make everyone wander round in bike crash helmets everywhere.