• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
You also can't settle a bill that includes human lives lost as well as money.
Well you can try. Just ask Germany about WWII Reparations.

IndoMike

Anyway, the whale meat in the Faroes only harms those eating it. Not the entire population of planet earth.
Not relevant to.my post, which was about people finding it hard to break from tradition.

DB9

I know what you mean DB9. We did that and checked the labels on toys, clothes etc and about 70% were made in China so it's a huge challenge. One i'm up for though as no way I can give any of my money to them after this. I'm happy to pay more for items made elsewhere. Preferably UK. I feel I should be supporting UK businesses now and if I can buy something made in the UK and it's more expensive than Chinese made then i'll find it and pay more.
Nigh on impossible not to have something that hasn't been made in China, I'm hoping peoples shopping habits will change but in the end it's money, To make your money spread further you will buy the cheaper option, Especially if you have a low budget to start with

Mr Jinx

Well we've made a family agreement to not buy anything that's made in China from now on. Hardly likely to make a dent in their economy I know but the only thing we can do to exercise our own personal protest. Having done a quick sweep of a few items to hand in the house, I do realize just what a challenge this will be. Feckin' everything is made there!
It wouldn't take much from say The Sun on how to tell the great unwashed on how to avoid buying anything Chinese. It wouldn't be easy granted. For instance, I have used a Chinese phone for the last 5 years. I need to upgrade in the next year and so I'll be looking to go Samsung although it's probably around £200 dearer. Stopping our Chinese takeaways is going to be hardest though.

But all this is small beer compared to what Trump's gonna do.

Legohead

Banned
Not relevant to.my post, which was about people finding it hard to break from tradition.
I see that Mike. A fair point and I understand your point and agree with it.

Alistair20000

I don't see that they have to ban their "markets" as long as they settle the bill in full after each outbreak.

Anyway, joking aside, once the brouhaha surrounding the virus subsides there's going to be some serious repercussions between the West and China over this. Further tariffs, duties, trade blockades, etc will just be the start of it.
Agreed. China is a rogue state.

DB9

Agreed. China is a rogue state.
If they are the rogue state you say, How are we to deal with them?

Alistair20000

If they are the rogue state you say, How are we to deal with them?
No idea mate. That question is well above my pay grade.

LOG

Nigh on impossible not to have something that hasn't been made in China
It's not just if it's made in China either. I could go and buy a VW and watch it come off the production line in Germany but i'd be pretty sure that there will be components that were made elsewhere (i haven't checked, it might be a bad example).

A client of ours at work has a factory in China which makes components for something that's assembled in the UK.

Reactions: DB9

DB9

No idea mate. That question is well above my pay grade.
Certainly not the usual route the West deal with rogue states