• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, that's great. Now here you go China...here's the bill for $4 trillion.
Yes, China certainly needs to stop these wet markets and eating "exotic" foods. But it's not so easy to enforce it even if the Government wants to. These very old habits are hard to break.
You know even though the people of the Faro Islands have been told to stop eating whale meat because of its high mercury content they still eat it because it is so entrenched in their culture.

Legohead

Banned
Yes, China certainly needs to stop these wet markets and eating "exotic" foods. But it's not so easy to enforce it even if the Government wants to. These very old habits are hard to break.
You know even though the people of the Faro Islands have been told to stop eating whale meat because of its high mercury content they still eat it because it is so entrenched in their culture.
There is a growing movement within the younger generation in the Faroes to get this 'tradition' stopped. Hopefully when all the dyed in the wool Neanderthals die off the new generation, a more compassionate and understanding generation will discontinue this barbaric, non sensical 'tradition'.

Tradition is fine so long as it doesn't involve animals. Ask David Cameron.

The fact is that we will be subjected to another pandemic so long as people keep eating random animals and countries allow it.

Mr Jinx

I don't see that they have to ban their "markets" as long as they settle the bill in full after each outbreak.

Anyway, joking aside, once the brouhaha surrounding the virus subsides there's going to be some serious repercussions between the West and China over this. Further tariffs, duties, trade blockades, etc will just be the start of it.

Legohead

Banned
I don't see that they have to ban their "markets" as long as they settle the bill in full after each outbreak.

Anyway, joking aside, once the brouhaha surrounding the virus subsides there's going to be some serious repercussions between the West and China over this. Further tariffs, duties, trade blockades, etc will just be the start of it.
Well we've made a family agreement to not buy anything that's made in China from now on. Hardly likely to make a dent in their economy I know but the only thing we can do to exercise our own personal protest. Having done a quick sweep of a few items to hand in the house, I do realize just what a challenge this will be. Feckin' everything is made there!

Legohead

Banned
You also can't settle a bill that includes human lives lost as well as money.

IndoMike

Trump will obviously be the cheerleader for a movement against China.
For me the fact that the local officials tried to supress information about the break-out of the disease is the main reason that China should be held responsible, but having exotic animals near other food products is not on.
However, it should be noted that thousands of species are carriers of coronavirus - it's just that they haven't crossed over yet
So what to do about China?
Will coronavirus be the beginning of the end of globalisation? Because if it isn't there's not much that can be done to "punish" China: it's far too important a producer and consumer and a vital part of the supply chain.

Legohead

Banned
Anyway, the whale meat in the Faroes only harms those eating it. Not the entire population of planet earth.

geoffwp

Fine, just as long as my my beef in black sauce and my szechuan chicken don't get hit.

DB9

Well we've made a family agreement to not buy anything that's made in China from now on. Hardly likely to make a dent in their economy I know but the only thing we can do to exercise our own personal protest. Having done a quick sweep of a few items to hand in the house, I do realize just what a challenge this will be. Feckin' everything is made there!
I'm stuffed then, I have a Chinese phone, TV and a Chinese Car and that's just for starters and not looking around

Legohead

Banned
I'm stuffed then, I have a Chinese phone, TV and a Chinese Car and that's just for starters and not looking around
I know what you mean DB9. We did that and checked the labels on toys, clothes etc and about 70% were made in China so it's a huge challenge. One i'm up for though as no way I can give any of my money to them after this. I'm happy to pay more for items made elsewhere. Preferably UK. I feel I should be supporting UK businesses now and if I can buy something made in the UK and it's more expensive than Chinese made then i'll find it and pay more.