• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whitty said the other day in a press briefing that there is no immediate effect of having the jab. It takes a week or two to develop any effect at all.
Same with most medication, If you holiday somewhere exotic and have to get inoculations, You don't get them the day you leave, You take them a few weeks before you go.

Rosencrantz

Same with most medication, If you holiday somewhere exotic and have to get inoculations, You don't get them the day you leave, You take them a few weeks before you go.
Indeed. From Jinxy's post, I didn't want anyone going overboard and getting jabbed and immediately start hugging everyone on the way home 😉

DB9

Indeed. From Jinxy's post, I didn't want anyone going overboard and getting jabbed and immediately start hugging everyone on the way home 😉
Jinxy doesn't seem the hugging kind 😉🤣

tavyred

Whitty said the other day in a press briefing that there is no immediate effect of having the jab. It takes a week or two to develop any effect at all.
Yes, I think you’re right.
I think I’m using numbers from two different sources and coming up with my own scenario. 🙄
Still very early days on vaccine data I suppose.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is probably the most-informative piece I have read thus far on the various vaccines; well worth 5-10 minutes of your time IMHO:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think levels of protection on one jab are 52% immediately rising to 89% after approx three weeks. I think the biggest factor at play for the likes of Whitty and Valance is that after just the one jab the risk of serious illness resulting in hospitalisation and death is practically zero.
As I understand it, the Pfizer vaccine has a 52% level of efficacy. However, if you exclude those who might catch COVID in the two weeks before it takes effect and, thereby, use Day 14 as your Day 0 – as I understand it this isn't how it's normally done – you get to the 89% figure oft-quoted by Vallance, Whitty, et al.

Legohead

Banned
Would be interesting to see how many of us would attend games if say the restrictions were lifted for the start of next season and many people had been vaccinated. Would people still choose to avoid crowds or just say bugger it and get on with things as they once did? This could still impact clubs in terms of gate receipts etc.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would be interesting to see how many of us would attend games if say the restrictions were lifted for the start of next season and many people had been vaccinated. Would people still choose to avoid crowds or just say bugger it and get on with things as they once did? This could still impact clubs in terms of gate receipts etc.
I think a significant majority of people would be guided [rightly or wrongly] by where we are with the figures at this point. If the number of deaths is small, as it was last summer, and some precautions are in place, then I imagine lots of people won't be deterred from going to the football – in much the same way they weren't deterred from Eating Out to Help Out.

Rosencrantz

Yes, I think you’re right.
I think I’m using numbers from two different sources and coming up with my own scenario. 🙄
Still very early days on vaccine data I suppose.
Yep. You can only trial for so long. There's nothing like real world data to learn from and I'm sure the figures will adjust as time goes on and lessons will be learnt and procedures adjusted.

Nb. I was of course answering Tavy's post rather than Jinxy who I mentioned in my previous post. I blame lack of sleep 😉.

DB9

After 18 months of doing nearly sod all I think quite a few would attend, Especially if by then we see decent results with the vaccine and infections, hospitalisation are in serious decline, It would give people confidence.