• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

UK Lockdown

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Customer Service at its finest!
I did think sticking his fingers up as I passed his window was rather unfriendly.;)

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The last point you make is what I was really aiming at. Why would the Govt (or scientists) want to do that? It defies logic when coming from a leader with a libertine philosophy
Sorry. That should have been "libertarian" not "libertine". Freudian slip.

Mr Jinx

Yes, it is a little misleading.

I got an email this week telling me an ex colleague had died of Covid just before New Year. He was only 55 so bit of a surprise but it wasn't the full story. Apparently he'd been gravely ill (don't know with what) and had been in hospital for a while. Whilst there he caught Covid which was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But as far as stats go, he's one of the 90k: killed by Covid.

tavyred

Faced with the generally positive news re. the UK’s vaccine rollout, I see the somewhat politically motivated BMA predictably seeks to cast doubts on the decision to delay the 2nd jabs. 🙄
On the same subject, France in an effort to give as many vulnerable people a modicum of protection rather than none, opts to follow the UK’s lead and delay 2nd jabs for 6 weeks.
Perhaps the U.K. approach to vaccinations is about to be copied more widely.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, it is a little misleading.

I got an email this week telling me an ex colleague had died of Covid just before New Year. He was only 55 so bit of a surprise but it wasn't the full story. Apparently he'd been gravely ill (don't know with what) and had been in hospital for a while. Whilst there he caught Covid which was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But as far as stats go, he's one of the 90k: killed by Covid.
Not exactly Jinxy.

There are two sets of stats – one produced by the ONS, the other by PHE.

The daily figure comes from PHE and is, as you suggest, all those who have died within 28 days of a positive COVID test. PHE recognizes that this will include some who will have had other comorbidities, or for who COVID was not the primary cause of death. However, the daily PHE figure is intended, primarily as a quick-and-simple indicator of the direction of travel, which can help inform government policy. Moreover, it doesn't include anyone who died of COVID without a positive test and most of the experts seem to think in all likelihood it slightly underestimates the actual figure.

This assertion is supported by the ONS stats which are produced on a weekly basis and only include those who have COVID listed as a cause of death on the deceased's death certificate.

IndoMike

Faced with the generally positive news re. the UK’s vaccine rollout, I see the somewhat politically motivated BMA predictably seeks to cast doubts on the decision to delay the 2nd jabs. 🙄
On the same subject, France in an effort to give as many vulnerable people a modicum of protection rather than none, opts to follow the UK’s lead and delay 2nd jabs for 6 weeks.
France is not following the UK's lead. The UK is delaying for 12 weeks, not 6. The WHO think that's a wrong decision and the makers of the drug recommend 4 weeks or 6 weeks in an emergency.
I can see the logic of being able to vaccinate twice as many people if the 12-week gap is implemented IF it has been proven that it is safe to do that.

DB9

Agree with you on this, The only "Concern" is the 12 weeks between jabs, For me personally maybe cutting that by a few weeks I think might alay some fears, But with the BMA, I'm disappointed with their reaction. I think 600k? have now had their 2nd jab.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can see the logic of being able to vaccinate twice as many people if the 12-week gap is implemented IF it has been proven that it is safe to do that.
Quite. Whitty keeps saying that if we can vaccinate twice as many people and one dose of the vaccine protects at least 51% of them that's a net gain.

I understand the mathematics, but that leaves the possibility that 49% of those who've had one shot of the vaccine believe they're protected – and after 14-21 days return to some kind of normality, with all the risk that brings – when they're not.

tavyred

I think levels of protection on one jab are 52% immediately rising to 89% after approx three weeks. I think the biggest factor at play for the likes of Whitty and Valance is that after just the one jab the risk of serious illness resulting in hospitalisation and death is practically zero.

Rosencrantz

I think levels of protection on one jab are 52% immediately rising to 89% after approx three weeks. I think the biggest factor at play for the likes of Whitty and Valance is that after just the one jab the risk of serious illness resulting in hospitalisation and death is practically zero.
Whitty said the other day in a press briefing that there is no immediate effect of having the jab. It takes a week or two to develop any effect at all.