• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Today - Best City Commentary I've ever heard.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've just emailed Radio Devon suggesting they look at this thread for the views of many City fans as to the quality of Tuesday night's commentary. When fans are openly saying they won't book i-Follow home match coverage due to it, I think it is important that Radio Devon are aware of that.
I was quite content with the away commentary which was just the noises in the ground. I swapped over after about 15 minutes. Grateful that I hadn't spent a tenner on watching the game.

paperclip

I've just emailed Radio Devon suggesting they look at this thread for the views of many City fans as to the quality of Tuesday night's commentary. When fans are openly saying they won't book i-Follow home match coverage due to it, I think it is important that Radio Devon are aware of that.
Would be interesting to see what kind of response you get to your email. Unfortunately it's the football club and not Radio Devon that will be impacted by fans (myself included) not paying for future iFollow passes if the standard of commentaries continues to be as inane as it was on Tuesday night. Fingers crossed RD realise how poor their output was and take remedial action...

AndyR

Would be interesting to see what kind of response you get to your email. Unfortunately it's the football club and not Radio Devon that will be impacted by fans (myself included) not paying for future iFollow passes if the standard of commentaries continues to be as inane as it was on Tuesday night. Fingers crossed RD realise how poor their output was and take remedial action...
If I get any response, I'll post on here.

It won't prevent me watching City's matches on i-Follow as I usually enjoy the coverage and assume that the income is of help to the Club. But it will mean I head for the away commentary button if there is a repeat of last Tuesday's bumblings.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It won't prevent me watching City's matches on i-Follow as I usually enjoy the coverage and assume that the income is of help to the Club. But it will mean I head for the away commentary button if there is a repeat of last Tuesday's bumblings.
Me too, and now I suspect that's the case for a lot of people.

It might be a good idea to listen to what the other club's commutators say anyway. We know who our own players are and their strengths and weaknesses, less so the opposition.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
How difficult is it to get a team sheet and at least learn the City team in the half hour before they go on air? I understand the late replacement but can't forgive the unprofessionalism of these commentators.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Saturday's game at Carlisle may be only the home commentary.
If it's the same pair who did the home game for BBC Cumbria, it'll be like chalk and cheese compared to Tuesday. Best local radio commentary I've heard this season.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whoever is responsible for the production of Radio Devon’s football coverage need to take a good hard look at themselves.

More often than not they start with snatches of recorded commentary on previous games which have no connection with the game or team they are previewing. Then halfway through the preview they cut in with the Station’s inane opening (for want of a better word) jingle. There have also been numerous occasions when either at halftime or the end of the game when expecting a summary of City’s game instead we get treated to the one for the Argigle game.

Finally why when teams have their dedicated wavelengths for match coverage (Argigle are inevitably “County wide on DAB”) do they think it is necessary or that as City supporters we are remotely interested in breaking up the commentary by giving regular updates on their progress.

Colesman Ballz

Me too, and now I suspect that's the case for a lot of people.

It might be a good idea to listen to what the other club's commutators say anyway. We know who our own players are and their strengths and weaknesses, less so the opposition.
With Trump gone from the White House the time for "commuting" has passed ! :cool:

On topic, a few seasons back I was working in Hampshire on a Saturday, when we played at Pompey, so listened to the Radio Solent match commentary. Their commentary was superb. Not only was their description of the action succinct and incisive, but their depth of knowledge and understanding of the game blew me away. No sooner had a sub left his seat they were accurately forecasting who he would replace , and the likely ramifications on the changes in shape and tactics of the team. The best radio match commentary that I've ever heard, and a damning indictment of the standard that I had grown used to on Radio Devon.

Red Devon

Whoever is responsible for the production of Radio Devon’s football coverage need to take a good hard look at themselves.

More often than not they start with snatches of recorded commentary on previous games which have no connection with the game or team they are previewing. Then halfway through the preview they cut in with the Station’s inane opening (for want of a better word) jingle. There have also been numerous occasions when either at halftime or the end of the game when expecting a summary of City’s game instead we get treated to the one for the Argigle game.

Finally why when teams have their dedicated wavelengths for match coverage (Argigle are inevitably “County wide on DAB”) do they think it is necessary or that as City supporters we are remotely interested in breaking up the commentary by giving regular updates on their progress.
After match hour between 5-6 is very poor...they keep us waiting until 5:45 before they start doing the post match manager interviews that I prefer listening to rather than the tame interviews that the club put up on social media post match (I really like the stuff the club put up pre match though) When I travel back from away games in normal times most BBC local radio station’s play live manager reaction as soon as they can get it as well as devoting most of the hour to fan reaction including calls, tweets etc....all makes for a really good listen whatever the result.

Andy_H

Oh dear, oh dear, when will Grecians fans come to realise that, any commentary/discussion reference ECFC is only put out by BBC Radio Devon to fill in those small gaps in their wall to wall fawning over all things Argyle.