• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Today - Best City Commentary I've ever heard.

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
I didn't hear the commentary so can't comment on that but i did see that Seth Conway posted on one of the ECFC facebook groups that he had been due to commentate last night but, for whatever reason, wasn't able to so i guess this Peter Smith chap was a late replacement.

paperclip

Yep - was shocking last night both off and on the pitch

Without the pictures I would have had no idea what was going on
That's the crux of the matter. The commentators are there to describe the action, if they don't do that accurately then they have failed (in their cases, spectacularly).

I was watching on iFollow so at least I could see the pictures, although like many, I switched over to the away commentary and I couldn't take any more inane waffle. I really hope someone at the club can feed back to Radio Devon how poor they were. If in the future I know that Peter Smith will be commentating on a game then I certainly won't be paying £10 to watch on iFollow.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Are they both just radio bods then? Any connection to football at all? It sounded like they'd never watched Exeter City before. Even if that was true, a little bit of research and they'd at least be getting the names right.
He's a freelance sports journalist and commentator and apparently she's a city fan.

grecIAN Harris

I understand the need for diversity in this day and age so why don't they ask one of the City women players to co commentate. At least then you'd get a knowledgeable input instead of the drivel Miss Poole keeps interjecting with.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
The excellent Charle Price was commentating on Saturday and can also be seen presenting on local BBC tv News....do you think he maybe freelance it would be interesting to know?
RD agreed CP one of the best and have noticed he is more often than not the commentator for Argigle’s games.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's the crux of the matter. The commentators are there to describe the action, if they don't do that accurately then they have failed (in their cases, spectacularly).

I was watching on iFollow so at least I could see the pictures, although like many, I switched over to the away commentary and I couldn't take any more inane waffle. I really hope someone at the club can feed back to Radio Devon how poor they were. If in the future I know that Peter Smith will be commentating on a game then I certainly won't be paying £10 to watch on iFollow.
That makes at least two of us.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
the final straw was him describing mcalinden as being one of morecambe’s better known players who had played for a number of clubs. Hannah then chipped in with “didn’t he come from wolves” but neither thought to mention or knew that he had a recent spell playing for us.

when he mixed up bowman with Seymour, and caprice with atangana(whose name he also couldn’t pronounce) I couldn’t work out whether the lack of a correction was because Hannah hadn’t picked up on the mistakes, or didn’t want to embarrass him and didn’t have the confidence to point out who it was. Surely if she knew she could have indicated to him off air that he was getting it wrong.

Ash

He's a freelance sports journalist and commentator and apparently she's a city fan.
Thanks for that. Both dire, wherever they came from. We must be able to do better. Almost anything would be better. Like others have said and like I have done a couple of times already this season, I will be listening to the away commentary if those two are on again. Felt more like a daytime TV chat show half the time :mad:

contrabombarde

I agree and yesterday's commentary was especially bad. Hannah I am sure is a very nice person but sadly adds nothing to the commentary with a shallow knowledge of City. I find her fatuous giggling irritating.

Ash

I agree and yesterday's commentary was especially bad. Hannah I am sure is a very nice person but sadly adds nothing to the commentary with a shallow knowledge of City. I find her fatuous giggling irritating.
I am not sure about anything regarding Hannah, except that she is a poor excuse for a commentator.