• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Today - Best City Commentary I've ever heard.

DawlishBouy

the final straw was him describing mcalinden as being one of morecambe’s better known players who had played for a number of clubs. Hannah then chipped in with “didn’t he come from wolves” but neither thought to mention or knew that he had a recent spell playing for us.

when he mixed up bowman with Seymour, and caprice with atangana(whose name he also couldn’t pronounce) I couldn’t work out whether the lack of a correction was because Hannah hadn’t picked up on the mistakes, or didn’t want to embarrass him and didn’t have the confidence to point out who it was. Surely if she knew she could have indicated to him off air that he was getting it wrong.
Commentary on RD is usually dreadful and these two were particularly bad but I'm pretty sure that quote shows she knew McAlinden signed for us from Wolves.

Ash

Commentary on RD is usually dreadful and these two were particularly bad but I'm pretty sure that quote shows she knew McAlinden signed for us from Wolves.
I suspect you're right, but it might have been prudent to also mention that!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have to say that I'm not a fan of Kirky either. He makes plenty of mistakes too and is far more concerned with getting his little puns and jokes in. He's far more suited to Kellows Bootlaces IMO.

The thing I don't get is why the commentary team don't have visibility of the match on Ifollow. They'd be able to correct some of the glaring errors they constantly make.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
In these current times with no one able to attend games, you need to have two people who can accurately describe games and have a basic knowledge of the team they are commentating on. Not just ramble and laugh. It makes trying to listen to the game on radio completely pointless.

JCWhoosh

I couldn't believe how poor it was either! No description of the game. Why were there fits of giggles (especially after we conceded). Just seems like they wanted to have a little chat for 90mins and the football was an after thought. Players mis-identified. No real awareness what was going on. A shame as I was looking forward to sitting and listening. Unfortunately the commentary made a loss feel 10 x worse.

I have to say that I'm not a fan of Kirky either. He makes plenty of mistakes too and is far more concerned with getting his little puns and jokes in. He's far more suited to Kellows Bootlaces IMO.

The thing I don't get is why the commentary team don't have visibility of the match on Ifollow. They'd be able to correct some of the glaring errors they constantly make.
I find Kirky knowledgeable and generally a pleasure to listen to.

In terms of why the commentators don't use i-follow, I suspect the delay between the game and the feed would make this difficult.

Nigel E

This baffles me too. I went to the Tranmere and Harrogate matches, and was able to look back at the action on my phone.

Sure, the time lag is a slight issue but especially for goals it would allow a co-commentator to describe the detail while players were returning to kick-off. And during other breaks in play they could easily re-wind the clock to other incidents to clear up any confusion.

By the way, I'd love to be able to travel back in time to the 70s and tell my younger self that one day he'll be able to watch football on his telephone, as well as watch the City several times at Wembley!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This baffles me too. I went to the Tranmere and Harrogate matches, and was able to look back at the action on my phone.

Sure, the time lag is a slight issue but especially for goals it would allow a co-commentator to describe the detail while players were returning to kick-off. And during other breaks in play they could easily re-wind the clock to other incidents to clear up any confusion.

By the way, I'd love to be able to travel back in time to the 70s and tell my younger self that one day he'll be able to watch football on his telephone, as well as watch the City several times at Wembley!
They don't even seem to have anyone back at the studio who can keep the commentators informed - several times they've relied on text messages from City fans watching on iFollow.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Saturday's game at Carlisle may be only the home commentary.

AndyR

I've just emailed Radio Devon suggesting they look at this thread for the views of many City fans as to the quality of Tuesday night's commentary. When fans are openly saying they won't book i-Follow home match coverage due to it, I think it is important that Radio Devon are aware of that.