• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City V's S****horpe United Matchday Thread

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite unbelievably awful. There seemed to be no tactics whatever, beyond continualy pumping aimless balls forward, 98% of which ended up with a Scunthorpe player. Fortunately for us, these Scunthorpe players would then fail to distribute it to their team mates, so we quite often got the unexpected bonus of a throw in.

Which we'd then waste of course, because at some point the ball would end up with Noble who would almost always pass it to a Scunny player. I mean how bad was he? Stunningly bad... WTF is going on?

Glad Artur got MOTM - he looked solid and his distribution was good. People were baying at him for not releasing the ball quicker, but when he did he did it very well and when he didn't it was because there were few options.

If we carry on like this we shall be deservedly relegated

A Slacker

Since being manager of Exeter City, Paul Tisdale has had a reputation for trying to play football. What has changed? Ostensibly today it was hoofball with the odd bit of quality. It was a poor, poor display wih very few effective performances from the City players. The two Scunny centre backs were woeful and were there for the taking but Taylor and Noble made no impact on them.

Apart from Artur, who had a decent game, the only other bright spot was the return of Duffy to central defence instead of Coles in the second half. Duffy is an intelligent footballer who tried to play out of defence rather than hoofing it down the other end.

I really, really hope that the next game I see (Yeovil) will be considerably better.

Xavi

Since being manager of Exeter City, Paul Tisdale has had a reputation for trying to play football. What has changed? Ostensibly today it was hoofball with the odd bit of quality. It was a poor, poor display wih very few effective performances from the City players. The two Scunny centre backs were woeful and were there for the taking but Taylor and Noble made no impact on them.

Apart from Artur, who had a decent game, the only other bright spot was the return of Duffy to central defence instead of Coles in the second half. Duffy is an intelligent footballer who tried to play out of defence rather than hoofing it down the other end.

I really, really hope that the next game I see (Yeovil) will be considerably better.
Ironically I think that Tis believes playing a deeper midfielder off a striker will encourage more football than starting Logie up front with Taylor. A key to good football at any level is intelligent movement off the ball and I've always believed that some midfielders sitting deep, or others behind the front, hinders this aspect of the game. I think we witnessed this today. When one midfielder gets forward another should sit deeper and cover / provide an option in the space. If they haven't all got the ability to do this then what are they doing making a living from the game?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Its fair to say we no longer play a passing game. Today was truely awful. It reminded me of the days under Blakey, skip the midfield and let the centre halves pump aimless balls forward.

Noble was shockingly poor, only goldborne, krysiak, and tulley played ok.

Why play with 2 wingers and one small striker?

exeterry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can't really add anything that's not already been covered above, other than I wish I'd gone shopping instead. :(

Grecian2K

The only noteworthy and memorable thing about today was that the game ended with THREE Duffys on the pitch!

Surely a football first?

DJH2005

Glad Artur got MOTM - he looked solid and his distribution was good. People were baying at him for not releasing the ball quicker, ...
Including Tis.

In fact, I actually felt for Artur today. He suddenly decided to grow a pair, tried to be visually confident and dominant, and yet, when he did show moments of bravery/stupidity (he's a keeper, it's very, very fine line) he got torn a new one by Golbs, Noble or AN Other. Yes, he was rash on occasion, but he connected and dealt with it even if he shouldn't have come in the first place. Fine lines and all that, and he got a bit of raw deal at times.

DJH2005

...A decent crowd too...
Amazing crowd. Usually the last game before Chrimbo is woefully low I think? Shame it was painfully quiet most of the time, and a shame it was such a dire game.

Two points dropped for me I'm afraid. Scunny were awful, nearly as bad as Tranny.

Where's that wonderkid winger gone that we signed from Milwall? One game wonder?

Grecian_Jay

Amazing crowd. Usually the last game before Chrimbo is woefully low I think? Shame it was painfully quiet most of the time, and a shame it was such a dire game.

Two points dropped for me I'm afraid. Scunny were awful, nearly as bad as Tranny.

Where's that wonderkid winger gone that we signed from Milwall? One game wonder?
Bit harsh, he was quality the first 20 minutes or so. He diode fade away second half though but not surprised playing in that team.

Phil Sayers

This sort of game won't attract many to the Park I'm afraid , very little to recommend it , and everyone around me couldn't wait for the final whistle to blow.

I disagree. I suspect I'm going to be a fairly lone voice though....

....I thought it was an interesting contest. Neither side were up to much but it wasn't a boring game. Good chances (particularly for them in the first twenty of the second half), a game that got stretched towards the end, a cracking atmosphere late on and a feeling that a winner might well be on the cards.

Have seen plenty of dull games where I just knew they could play all night without a goal - it didn't seem like that to me.