• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Drinkers and the Thinkers.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Er, yes it did.

This idea that anything goes on a Saturday night if you have got three days to recover is fubar as well, of course you feel ok three days later but your body hasn't close to recovered nor has the training between been of the full benefit it could.

The only issue is whether a good player who likes a beer is more use to the club than a lesser player that keeps himself fit.
You sound a bit p*ssed yourself there, Poults

Poultice

These are young blokes on good money, with a lot of free time.

What would you do in the same circumstance :D
Doesn't matter what anybody else would do, what matters is what Cheesy is going to do about it.

Poultice

You sound a bit p*ssed yourself there, Poults
Neither in the American nor the English sense Mike.

90 fooking degrees, in England, in October, with my reputation ?

andrew p long

You can be both a thinker and a drinker.

For example,Wittgestein was a boozy swine.

Plato,they say,could stick it away with half a crate of whiskey every day.

But John Stuart Mill,of his own free will,on half a pint of shandy, was particularly ill.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
you can be both a thinker and a drinker.

For example,wittgestein was a boozy swine.

Plato,they say,could stick it away with half a crate of whiskey every day.

But john stuart mill,of his own free will,on half a pint of shandy, was particularly ill.
end of thread...

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
Provided a player keeps his fitness up and doesn't frequently rock up for training with a stinking hangover then what is the problem? If their fitness gets too poor or they cannot knock it around at the Cat and Fiddle they will be dropped then released for not being good enough.
Eh? If that happens then we have loads of expensive pissheads knocking about in the stiffs draining us of much needed funds to replace their sorry asses in the first team.

Me personally, if I were lucky enough to be living the dream of a professional footballer, no money worries, house safely being paid off when most can't get on the ladder, decent car, trust funds for kids a real possibility etc....all that and a player is willing to risk it all for a skinful 2-3 nights a week??

I've seen the damage alcohol can do over prolonged periods of time, invisible damage to key organs which inevitably can cause failure, it is also, gram for gram, nearly twice as calorific as proteins and carbohydrates. If players wanted a more relevant example of the benefits of clean living then I agree with the OP - take one look at the likes of Oakley, Cureton, Kevin Phillips etc to see that careers can be prolonged quite easily if you stay in shape.

Alcohol - don't believe the hype

Nidds

As LLL said at the start, there are the drinkers and the thinkers.

I remember going into Jim Mcnichol's pub in Ashburton on a Friday night during the season (early nineties, Exeter Arms?). I was told Jim was upstairs, didn't come into the bar or have a drink on the night before a match.

Around the same time, we had Steve Moran................

There was a Thursday night in town, Ronnie Jepson and................

Thames Valley Red

As LLL said at the start, there are the drinkers and the thinkers.

I remember going into Jim Mcnichol's pub in Ashburton on a Friday night during the season (early nineties, Exeter Arms?). I was told Jim was upstairs, didn't come into the bar or have a drink on the night before a match.

Around the same time, we had Steve Moran................

There was a Thursday night in town, Ronnie Jepson and................
When Ronnie Jepson moved onto Huddersfield I found him drinking in a discrete pub one August time having a right session with other players. Depends how hard you train! Castle Hill Pub, Huddersfield a must if in the area!

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eh? If that happens then we have loads of expensive pissheads knocking about in the stiffs draining us of much needed funds to replace their sorry asses in the first team.

Me personally, if I were lucky enough to be living the dream of a professional footballer, no money worries, house safely being paid off when most can't get on the ladder, decent car, trust funds for kids a real possibility etc....all that and a player is willing to risk it all for a skinful 2-3 nights a week??
You do realise that most pro footballers including those at this level don't get paid that much don't you? They get around 10 years on ok/good money and then have to find another job often with few qualifications. Sure they live the dream for a few years but at around 35 many hit the ground with a bump!

As for drinking, I have no issue with a beer now and then, going out on the sauce the night before is pretty irresponsible in many jobs let alone being a professional athlete.

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
You do realise that most pro footballers including those at this level don't get paid that much don't you? They get around 10 years on ok/good money and then have to find another job often with few qualifications. Sure they live the dream for a few years but at around 35 many hit the ground with a bump!
I imagine most pro footballers at league one level are on £750-£1000 a week minimum. That's plenty to pay a mortgage on a decent house with. If only most players realised that looking after themselves meant that coming to earth with a bump could be extended from 35 to 37/38+. They are also more likely to be taken more seriously as coaches if they wish to pursue that line if they've looked after themselves and had an extended career. Up to the players at the end of the day