• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Drinkers and the Thinkers.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Drinking and smoking didnt effect the way Kells played did it? He obviously suffered in later life, but never gave anything less than 100% for City or any other of his clubs on the pitch.

I think the drinking culture at the club in Kells days was very different. I dont believe he or many other players of the day went clubbing, as is apparently popular now. Although I think Danny Baily could be seen fairly regularly in skin tight leather clobber at Box's. That was a bit later than Kells though.

Rog H K

Drinking and smoking didnt effect the way Kells played did it? He obviously suffered in later life, but never gave anything less than 100% for City or any other of his clubs on the pitch.

I think the drinking culture at the club in Kells days was very different. I dont believe he or many other players of the day went clubbing, as is apparently popular now. Although I think Danny Baily could be seen fairly regularly in skin tight leather clobber at Box's. That was a bit later than Kells though.
I can remember Kellow in the old Centre spot on a Friday night having a pint or 6, he was told he wasn't required (Colin Appliton Era) the following day Kellow was on the bench and I thought errr, big erRRRRR? He had a phone call in the morning from Colin to say (Can't remember who?) a player had an unexpected injury and he was to turn up with his boots. kellow Scored the equaliser within minutes of coming on. Now Kellow could Do this, Steve Moran comes to mind as a player who could do this too, but very few player can perform after a beer, so 99.99% of the time NO!!!.
I have no objection to any player having a drink on a Saturday night after a game, but there arn't that many Kellows!

PeteUSA

I have no objection to any player having a drink on a Saturday night after a game, but there arn't that many Kellows!
Absolutely Rog. Kells liking for drink was legendary, and he didnt care who knew it. Giler, Delvie and Len bond knew how to have a good (hick!) time too. The Center Spot example you talk of his indicitive of the way they drank back then though. If they drank, perhaps sometimes in excess, it wasnt in high profile places like Timepiece, or whatever the place to be in Exeter is, they'd be in the Center Spot or a similar pub establishment, not out to be seen on the lash, as it seems is the case now!

When I think how Eric Welsh, Mike Hughes, Peter Bennett etc would come down the Clock Tower Cafe for a coffee with us boys. They wouldnt dream of going in a boozer!

DJH2005

Kells (for example) wouldn't be effective in todays modern football if he were still knocking them back aplenty all week and the night before. Football, speed and fitness is a different thing today compared to when Kellow was boozing and playing. From what I know of him, moderation was an issue for him, and that would get found out pretty quick in the modern era.

Being a pro sportsman, means to succeed you have either say no, or choose moments and quantity, carefully.

FAN-TATIC

There are plenty of professional trainers who would disagree with that fan-tatic, particularly where a professional athlete's fitness is concerned.
Fair comment Geoff. Perhaps I should have said most sports people rather than any sports person.

I suppose it also depends what sport you partake in. Darren Clarke like a pint or 6 of the black stuff. Didn't stop him from winning a major. Rugby players are renowned for their love of the sauce. Cricketers too.

Athletes, partaking in alcohol consumption at all is probably not a good thing to do.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Fair comment Geoff. Perhaps I should have said most sports people rather than any sports person.

I suppose it also depends what sport you partake in. Darren Clarke like a pint or 6 of the black stuff. Didn't stop him from winning a major. Rugby players are renowned for their love of the sauce. Cricketers too.

Athletes, partaking in alcohol consumption at all is probably not a good thing to do.
Team games it'll part of the social bonding. Where its an individual participating in a sport, then I would guess there is less of a drinking culture.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Professional athletes should not be drinking within 3 days of a game.

If there out on a saturday night with no game untill the following week there is no problem.

Oldsmobile-88

The speed of the game is much quicker now....Loads of players burned the candle at both ends in those days...Something that could not happen now(camera phones etc...)

Poultice

Drinking and smoking didnt effect the way Kells played did it?
Er, yes it did.

This idea that anything goes on a Saturday night if you have got three days to recover is fubar as well, of course you feel ok three days later but your body hasn't close to recovered nor has the training between been of the full benefit it could.

The only issue is whether a good player who likes a beer is more use to the club than a lesser player that keeps himself fit.

Grecian Max

These are young blokes on good money, with a lot of free time.

What would you do in the same circumstance :D