• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Summer Transfer Thread

ryancooper327

Though I’m a bit jealous of FGR signing a bunch of players, they lost Wilson, Sweeney, Adams, Aitchison (loan) and may lose Cadden too. That’s around 200 league appearance between just them last season. 18 goals and over 30 assists.

In comparison, all of our leavers combined came to around 140 with 45 of those being Dawson. And 9 goals and 3 assists…

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who would have played up the left? Colin Daniel?
Jack Sparkes not exist?

Rosencrantz

Yes,and sadly when he cites a more experienced player in Jordan Tunnicliffe we are likely to lose out to National League Wrexham as they are (?) one of the clubs paying higher wages than ECFC?
I doubt we are now in the market for a centre back either and I don't think he names an out and out striker of which we need at least one. Only Mebude who he says can also operate out wide and seems more suited to playing wide. GrecIan will be pleased to know he styles himself on Raheem Sterling when playing wide 😉

STURTZ

Jack Sparkes not exist?
Jack Sparkes didn't exist for a large part of last season as he was at Torquay! Took an age overcoming Covid and a long standing injury, Daniel was crap and there was no other choice other than playing the right footed Caprice up the left, not ideal but what choice did Matt have? Sparkes did come back late on but was never particularly outstanding or even necessarily first choice. Meanwhile Key had a solidly consistant season holding up the right hand side, think he played every game. Yes I do think it's safe to say that we wouldn't have gone up without Key.

Pobbop

I personally don't have much time for hypothetical discussions, but I felt Key was less effective this year since many teams saw his threat and made sure he was double-teamed, which of course allowed for others to do more elsewhere.

STURTZ

I personally don't have much time for hypothetical discussions, but I felt Key was less effective this year since many teams saw his threat and made sure he was double-teamed, which of course allowed for others to do more elsewhere.
This is true and I do think that Key's threat and link up play gave Jevanni Brown a lot of room to weave his magic.

Rosencrantz

Jack Sparkes didn't exist for a large part of last season as he was at Torquay! Took an age overcoming Covid and a long standing injury, Daniel was crap and there was no other choice other than playing the right footed Caprice up the left, not ideal but what choice did Matt have? Sparkes did come back late on but was never particularly outstanding or even necessarily first choice. Meanwhile Key had a solidly consistant season holding up the right hand side, think he played every game. Yes I do think it's safe to say that we wouldn't have gone up without Key.
Just to point out that Jack was at Torquay for just one month following his shoulder injury, December, and was back appearing for City from 15th January in our home win over Scunthorpe. So he was available from then and made 17 appearances after that. Actually more than Jake Caprice's 14 appearances after the Scunny game 😉.

Whether we would have gone up without Key from January is of course purely conjecture 🙂.

STURTZ

So we'll never know if we should have sold Key when we were offered money for him in Jan. If we actually were!:)

Grecian Max

Rosencratz has covered ridiculous nature of this post 😂😂 Maybe best you watch the re run of the season on YouTube

IndoMike

It will be very interesting to see how Jack will do in Lg 1. Can he up his game a little bit more and become a bonafide Lg 1 player
I've also often wondered if he could play as a kind of attacking, left of centre (but not winger) midfielder player. He can certainly dribble and shoot. I can imagine him making a run at defenders from midfield and thumping in a shot from 20-25 yards a la Bobby Charlton